Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 02:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times

Advertisements

All of a sudden politically correct whities are coming out of the woodwork to show their righteous indignation at the fact that American entrepreneurial success story Paula Dean refered to a man who put a gun in her face and robbed her the N word some 20 years ago, i might have said something similar given the circumstances.
Problem i got is where are all the self righteous politically correct people when black people are being marginalized by a certain extreme element of our political system, the people that think black people are the entitlement class, welfare bums, the food stamp culture,lazy do nothings who contribute nothing but just sit around all day doing drugs and having babies while waiting for the welfare check,and also have the nerve to call the duly elected President and his wife every derogatory name they can think of, i'm not seeing anyone standing up to people spreading this type of blanket statement garbage but say the N word and look how fast they come together and devolve into a lynch mob mentality to destroy a one Paula Dean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 02:26 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times
Tonight I saw a video clip with Paula Deen on a show called TimesTalks. Paula talks about how her great-grandfather committed suicide after the war when he lost his son as well as his 35 slaves. She then goes on to show how she is not prejucdice by talking about a man she calls her friend offstage saying, "I have a young man in my life and his name is Hollis Johnson, and he's as black as that board" (motioning to the black background on stage. She then goes on to urge him to step forward by saying, "Come out here Hollis, we cannot see you standing next to that black board". I think Paula is far more prejudice than she wants her fans to know.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:09 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,702,134 times
20 pages later and no one has yet presented any evidence that Deen's ratings actually warranted her contract being renewed.

There are loads of articles explaining how Food Network's ratings have been declining quite sharply in recent years: What makes people think that the fault doesn't rest with the on-air personalities that they're letting contracts lapse for?

Old 06-23-2013, 04:22 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,654,340 times
Paula is clearly in a lot of trouble -- may the lard have mercy.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:47 AM
bUU

Just a small correction: Deen was not fired. Her contract wasn't renewed. If she was being fired for what she said 20 years ago, there's a clause in her contract - in all celebrity contracts these days - that would give the network the ability to get out of the contract they have with her now, instead of waiting for her current contract to expire at the end of the month. The network could not have terminated her contract early due to the fact that her brand has been tarnished by the revelations of what she said 20 years ago, but they'd be culpable for breach of fiduciary duty to their investors if they don't factor in how the public controversy, brought about by external agents, will affect profitability of her brand going forward into their decisions.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:15 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,635 times
What bUU said!

It's pretty disgusting, but not surprising, that some of you are defending this woman. Keep it classy City Data. Some of you Internet Warriors are astounding. Keep hiding behind that screen and spouting hate instead of educating and enlightening yourselves. It's your Cons'tutional right because you are in Murica!!

She's a grown woman living in the 2010s, not the 1860s or even the 1960s. If she was too stupid to understand that what she said and did was wrong, even if it happened 20 years ago, then she gets everything she deserves.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:30 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Not a Paula Deen fan, which is totally beside the fact. As her presence on the FN progressed, she became increasingly Suth'n, her accent thickened and she single-handedly kept the butter makers in business. That being said, she would not have been called out for what she said were it not for the fact that a former employee of her brother's (and her) restaurant decided to sue for being mistreated at work.

I've read through eight pages of this thread - "Love Paula, long may she wave" and "Hate Paula, may she get what she deserves." I don't really care to read more of the same.

Duane Chapman, aka Dog the Bounty Hunter, was dropped from his show because of a racial slur, used in a private conversation with his son, and reported by the same son to a scandal sheet for a handful of silver. Eventually, his show was resumed and continues today.

Imus in the Morning once called a woman's championship basketball team, "nappy-headed hoes". He was fired for about 15 minutes, apologized and came back to be his own mumbling self.

No, I'm not defending these people; just pointing out that the Final Word isn't always Final.

Paula has only lost credibility with the overly-PC crowd. She will be back. If not on Food Network, she will be on some show, somewhere. She may have her own talk show. The woman has morphed into someone's vision of a "star!" and you have not heard the last of her. I'm not jealous. I'm not angry. I just think Paula has made a parody of herself. She'll be weepy for a while and then she'll be back.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:37 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
All of a sudden politically correct whities are coming out of the woodwork to show their righteous indignation at the fact that American entrepreneurial success story Paula Dean refered to a man who put a gun in her face and robbed her the N word some 20 years ago, i might have said something similar given the circumstances.
Problem i got is where are all the self righteous politically correct people when black people are being marginalized by a certain extreme element of our political system, the people that think black people are the entitlement class, welfare bums, the food stamp culture,lazy do nothings who contribute nothing but just sit around all day doing drugs and having babies while waiting for the welfare check,and also have the nerve to call the duly elected President and his wife every derogatory name they can think of, i'm not seeing anyone standing up to people spreading this type of blanket statement garbage but say the N word and look how fast they come together and devolve into a lynch mob mentality to destroy a one Paula Dean.
"Whities"?????????????? Why is it ok to call white people that? That is only used in a derogatory way and is reverse racism imo.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:44 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,720,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Was she going to hire WHITES also to dress up as slaves to serve food at the wedding? If that were the case, then it would not be racist and would be truly colorblind, but I don't think so.
My point here is this....these people would be hired for a job and paid well for their time. They would not be expected to show up at her house and BE slaves. They would be paid workers, who would simply be in costume and character.

As for another poster's comments about having a holocaust wedding....well, that's just sick and gruesome. A person who would have a wedding like that, would have to be one sick puppy. I don't think you can compare the two. As usual, I believe that this situation is just a simple circle jerk, blown out of proportion, fueled by 1/2 truths and rumors.

So many of these "witch hunts" are nothing more than he said/she said garbage, where everything is repeated and yet taken out of context. I'm sure she's not perfect. She can probably be a major b**ch when the mood hits her. Personally though, I think she's just fodder for the "sue happys" right now. My gosh, you gotta be some kind of rotten, desperate POS to dig 20 years back, in order to find something on someone.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:48 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
She will be back. If not on Food Network, she will be on some show, somewhere.
Very likely, and I would speculate that we'll see her pop up on a channel like GAC. Smaller audience, with commensurate smaller compensation - which would make sense if her audience has shrunk a good bit, and especially if her smaller audience was at least partially responsible for Food Networks smaller audience in recent years - so basically readjusting her compensation to match her smaller audience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities