Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 08:51 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times

Advertisements

... Of course major companies are going to dump her....

Target's taking their sweet time. I guess Target isn't a major company. Who knew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 08:56 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
... Of course major companies are going to dump her....

Target's taking their sweet time. I guess Target isn't a major company. Who knew?
Yes, everything is perfectly fine because Target hasn't dumped her yet. I mean if at least one major sponsor ends up holding on to her then she's vindicated, and none of those things were ever real liabilities!

Wait, what? LOL

Old 06-27-2013, 09:24 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Yes, everything is perfectly fine because Target hasn't dumped her yet. I mean if at least one major sponsor ends up holding on to her then she's vindicated, and none of those things were ever real liabilities!

Wait, what? LOL

In your eagerness to jump on Deen, you missed my point (in response to the poster's comment), which is that apparently one major retailer has retained her (so far). As Martha Stewart (another once-reviled maven who made a comeback) would say, reading comprehension is a good thing.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:31 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
In your eagerness to jump on Deen, you missed my point (in response to the poster's comment), which is that apparently one major retailer has retained her (so far). As Martha Stewart (another once-reviled maven who made a comeback) would say, reading comprehension is a good thing.
That poster was me.

And I said that as part of showing companies actually had grounds to drop her.

Whether one company holds on to her has nothing to so with it, which was MY point. The other companies have grounds.

And I'm not eager to jump on her. I actually think some of the things she's accused of probably didn't happen. I don't think she actually had black employees using separate entrances for instance. But the stuff they already admitted to was enough to meet the standards of a hostile work environment.

I'm just not jumping on the "defend Paula from the evil PC people at all costs!" train. She did some pretty dumb stuff.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:07 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times
Target drop kicked Paula today.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:19 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
There are Italians, and then there are crude Italians, and actually I forget the Italian word for it, or I would post it, same difference.
So you agree with using the saying "there are n****rs and there are black people" and you do believe that black people who are "scum" are n****rs? Is that right?

Quote:
What you think is right and wrong you were taught by your parents, which is your very own culture.
And I'm not saying it is right, but remember Micheal the football star who was convicted of dog fighting, which Is Against the Law, and said he grew up that way, it was his culture.
It isn't an excuse, it is though exactly true and not an excuse.
I raised my son to never ever mouth the n-word...but he was raised that way, deep south used it, as if someone's name, or in a derrogatory sense as well...regardless, it is a word she grew up with and heard everyone saying it.
I understand that it was part of Southern culture at the time Paula Deen grew up, and apparently still is to an extent. But Paula Deen is not a child anymore. She's an adult who's been an adult for a while and has had plenty of time to learn better. The issue isn't, to me, that she have used the n-word in the past but that she's so oblivious to the inappropriateness of her and her family's behavior.
Like I said, I'm not so sure that cancelling all her contracts was the right thing to do especially since it was most likely done to cover their asses and not because of any moral beliefs of theirs. I especially think it was very unfortunate since it will affect a lot of people other than Paula Deen. She probably has hundreds of employees and suppliers may have to lay people off from losing her business too. I wish the various companies would have taken some more time to see where this would lead. However, it is not true, as I first assumed, that all this hoopla is just over her uttering the n-word 20 years ago. In fact I don't think a timeline was mentioned at all.

Quote:
Listen, the point here is this....gather your opinions, right or wrong, Paula Deen did not break the law
That's completely irrelevant. This has nothing to do with the law. It has to do with business dealings which are affected by public opinion or presumed public opinion. There are many things you can do that are very wrong but is not illegal.

Quote:
That is the whole point here, and by the way, every race has a name for their people who are the scum of the earth...
And you think that name for black people is n****r and is appropriately used for those black people that are considered scum of the earth? Do you understand that this word has a lot more connotations to it than, say, words like cracker?

Quote:
so, once again I say, I hope Paula will be able to sue all these companies, for breach of contract, now that would warm my heart, b/c she didn't break any laws?
The companies likely didn't break any laws either so she can't sue them. I highly doubt that these companies would have dropped her had they been tied to a contract that prevented it. Surely they've had a team of lawyers review the issue before taking action.

Quote:
once again, if I wanted to host a persian wedding, and have women come and wait on my guests with veils on, and belly dancing costumns, no one would say a word...
Nobody would say a word because it's completely different. There is nothing romantic or exotic about slavery days or having people dressed as old time slaves wait on you.

Quote:
...but...as I said before, you were not raised in the deep south so you are not getting...no, Paula Deen doesn't see anything wrong in her wedding request....b/c that is how it was, and there is nothing you or anyone else can do to erase it, it was a time that existed, a time people grew up in and a time, it was their culture. they honestly did not see anything wrong in it, and by the way, neither did some slaves...there were a lot of slaves that were treated well, not called slaves, but were given rights and taught to read...of course they hid it....
You have got to be kidding me! How nice of the people who kept people in slavery to treat them nicely and taught them to read. Wow. You're pretty clueless yourself.

Quote:
Look, your all entitled to your opinions, but you will never understand, our own personal cultures are what we think and believe, what our parents taught us to believe...and if we had been raised in the deep south, we'd all feel the same way as Paula Deen feels....Just b/c she wanted to recreate her childhood and have black waiters doesn't mean she is a racist....or a bad person...
Paula Deen may be on the older side but she surely isn't old enough to have been around during the Civil War. She wanted to recreate what she'd seen in pictures. Even if it was something she'd remember from her childhood doesn't make it okay. If her family had got together to torture kittens when she was a child would it be okay for her family to get together and have kitten torture parties to recreate old times just because it happened?

Quote:
Yes, it sounds bad....but you were not born in those days down in the deep south, so you wouldn't understand....yanno what this is honestly turning out to be once again? The north vs the south...and it's ridiculous and even getting way to dramatic for me.
It doesn't only sound bad. It was bad. That's why people have worked so hard to end it and it's nothing people should aim to recreate. It was not romantic and that Paula Deen believes it was is troubling. I don't care where or when she grew up. Things have changed since then for a reason.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:51 PM

536 posts, read 829,877 times
I take no sides in this great Paula Deen debate ... but people are offended by "Redneck" now? Better get Jeff Foxworthy on the phone!

Old 06-27-2013, 02:59 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,048 times
Sorry but I think its BS to pull the race card for a term that is commonly used by the same people complaining about it. You have to pick a direction...either its racist to say "n.....r" or it isnt. You cant pick and choose who gets to say it, who doesnt and if its ok.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:08 PM

796 posts, read 858,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
I take no sides in this great Paula Deen debate ... but people are offended by "Redneck" now? Better get Jeff Foxworthy on the phone!
Well blacks seem to only be offended when a white person refers to them with a word they use themselves. White people should be offended when a black person call's them redneck or cracker or any other word they say we don't like.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:26 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
Well blacks seem to only be offended when a white person refers to them with a word they use themselves. White people should be offended when a black person call's them redneck or cracker or any other word they say we don't like.
The term cracker never really bothered me; it just makes me hungry...love me some saltines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities