Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 05:52 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,232,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
Is anyone surprised that a white woman from Albany, Georgia that was raised in the 50's and 60's is a racist? This didn't come soon enough!
I've known people from the South - including Georgia, who are not racist. Including people her age.
I was pretty shocked about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 05:53 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
There's been much worse celeb scandals than this, & nowhere near as much media attention. Makes ya wonder......

Like the guy who is Elmo on Sesame Street molesting underage boys, & still winning an Emmy after it was publicized. Or Jay Z reportedly not allowing white people into his Brit party.
The whole thing with Paula Deen is purposely being blown out of proportion. How disgusting.
Ya know Elmo dude lost his job, right? And he's facing lawsuits.

That Jay Z thing turned out to be false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilipepper35 View Post
I think if they're gonna go after Paula, they need to go after these rappers too. I mean we've all said or thought things we shouldn't have. I have little cousins that listen to a lot of rap and all you hear is N this and N that. Go after them next.
Do we really have to list all the controversies involving rappers? Or how many have lost endorsement deals over them?

Old 06-27-2013, 06:00 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,232,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
The moral of this story is, don't violate code of conduct and work ethics and expect to keep sucking from the corporate teat.

She's not going to jail. She's not being fined. I do not see what all the fuss is about.

Kind of the same as you do. Why the big fuss? People can hate Walmart or the Food Network all they want but have to sell stuff. You can say anything you want in the US - but if you are in the public eye - and you are a spokes person for a company - you'd better watch what you say.

She's not going to jail like Martha Stewart. She gets to keep all her money houses and stuff. And she has more stuff than most of us will ever have.

I'd say in the game of life, she did OK for herself. But that's all folks.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:04 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Ya know Elmo dude lost his job, right? And he's facing lawsuits.

That Jay Z thing turned out to be false.

Do we really have to list all the controversies involving rappers? Or how many have lost endorsement deals over them?
Doesn't matter if he lost his job-- that is sick & disturbing. Yet it wasn't made into a huge deal somehow. Obviously their p.r. people were able to sweep it under the rug to an extent. Maybe Paula should've hired that guys damage control people.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:09 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Doesn't matter if he lost his job-- that is sick & disturbing. Yet it wasn't made into a huge deal somehow. Obviously their p.r. people were able to sweep it under the rug to an extent. Maybe Paula should've hired that guys damage control people.
Oh it was a big media deal, but you are right dude handled things exactly right PR wise. He didn't extend the story, nor did he feed into the frenzy.

Paula on the other hand, screwed the pooch on terms of playing it down. That's not really a double standard. She could have played her cards better and not had this crazy train go barreling out of the station.

A lot of what has happened since the story broke was a self inflicted wound. Once the media circus starts, don't supply the clowns.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:05 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,182,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Target drop kicked Paula today.
I happened to be in a Target today and they were in fact removing her items from their shelves. I asked why didn't they just sell what they had then don't order more? They said they were told to remove all of it and they will sell it to a company that buys overstock from companies to let them sell it at a discounted rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
I take no sides in this great Paula Deen debate ... but people are offended by "Redneck" now? Better get Jeff Foxworthy on the phone!
It is a racial slur that black folks use to describe white folks (along with cracker, hon key, whitey) so why should it be OK when the poster is highly offended with the N word? (rightly so BTW) Think that is the point a lot of folks are making in this thread why is it OK for other races to have to tolerate racial slurs when the N word is causing such mass offense?

Your reference to Jeff Foxworthy is a good point that we all get shaded no matter what race we are some kind of way. Comedy makes it OK to use redneck? Rapping makes it OK to use the N word?

Look how Paula is getting slammed when other celebs have said he same thing like other posters have said.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:13 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,540,802 times
A comedic take on the use of certain prejudicial words:

Prejudice by Tim Minchin - YouTube

Old 06-27-2013, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,854 times
Default Paula

Come on. I hate the word ******. It is worse than any word in the English language, but if you grew up in the

Paula Dean is being assasinated by a young, liberal, unforgiving media. She is a human who has started with nothing but love of humanity and cooking and made from homecooking a respectable business. She was a single mom who made it from intuition and savvy. She, like many of her generation, have learned to embrace all of humanity and she would not more hurt another human than most. Any generation of born before 1970 have had to learn from the lessons of history and personal experience that all races are equal as human beings. I think Paula means no harm and does not deserve to be persecuted. Black or white, rasicsm exists. If you are white, middle aged woman, or man, you are more likely to be subject to public scrutiny for admitting even past rasist insinuation even if you now know better now and regret. Blacks are often above this and I have seen a reverse discrimination go overlooked. It is a double standard. Let Paula continue to bring her talents to America and entertain. She is kind and fun. She is no more prejudiced than many blacks. In fact, I would say she is not at all. Many are also prejudiced against Southern culture and obsessed with "healthy" food. they have no idea how to just live down to earth. We all need to be kinder and forgiving. I agree with her that if you have never sinned in or used the N word, then throw that stone.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:29 PM

347 posts, read 695,477 times
I support Paula.....In the past I wanted to do a Holocaust re-creation themed party.....I didn't realize it was wrong as I suppose with me being of Nazi German descended family I always had a romanticized view of how that time was . But now I do realize that somewhere, some people might be offended by such a party.

See how stupid I sound when I try to justify something unjustifiable?

Old 06-27-2013, 07:36 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,720,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
A comedic take on the use of certain prejudicial words:

Prejudice by Tim Minchin - YouTube
That was absolutely AWESOME!!!!!! Oh funny!

On a serious note.....he's quite darned talented!! .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities