Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 11:44 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times

Advertisements

I agree that it should not be too big of a shock for a woman from the south, born in the early 50's being racist. Now I fall into that category (although I moved away from the south at age 5) and I am not racist, but I have known enough people our age and from the south that are. The key here is this is a woman that CHOSE to put herself in the public eye and to create a brand. By doing that she will be judged on everything she does. Lok at the diabetic thing. She really didn't make it public that she herself was a type 2 diabetic despite constantly cooking and tasting foods that people with that disorder cannot, or at least should not have. A lot of people are very angry about that, it feels misleading. Paula should absolutely know better than to use the N word period, nevertheless openly. I don't believe for one secont that this is not a word that she uses on a semi-regular basis, not just 10 or whatever years ago. As stated before, it isn't like she is being sent to prison, she brought this all on herself. If nothing else she will just go back to what she did before she became famous, she will run her own restaurant. Certainly she is an extremely wealthy woman and has home, investments, and more money than any of us will ever see. She will do just fine once this all calms down and hopefully she has learned a hard lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 12:38 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,761,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilipepper35 View Post
I think if they're gonna go after Paula, they need to go after these rappers too. I mean we've all said or thought things we shouldn't have. I have little cousins that listen to a lot of rap and all you hear is N this and N that. Go after them next.
Rappers are entertainers. Their trade is protected. You know exactly what you are going to get when you buy a rap CD marked with "explicit lyrics" label. Rappers are not spokespeople for Disney or Gerber or Fisher Price for this reason.

Why just pick on (black) rappers though? What about (white) actors who say it in TV and movies? Why don't you want to go after them too? Or is this just about retaliation against the other side? Surely you wan everybody to be punished equally for using it, right?

Entertainment media doesn't count and isn't analogous to what is happening to Paula Deen.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:20 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,118,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Let's continue to show our ignorance by declaring that Southern moms MOST LIKELY used the word. I have been to Chicago and heard the n word on the streets and also in New York, but I have not heard it where I live in the deep South. This of course does not mean it is not said in the South. It just shows that racism exists everywhere, even though it is wrong. Not all Southerners or Southern moms use or used the word, anymore than all Northerners are brash and unmannerly. You can't lump everyone together.
I heard the word most of all on Long Island, New York....but only rarely in the south.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:56 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vljackson52 View Post
Come on. I hate the word ******. It is worse than any word in the English language, but if you grew up in the

Paula Dean is being assasinated by a young, liberal, unforgiving media. She is a human who has started with nothing but love of humanity and cooking and made from homecooking a respectable business. She was a single mom who made it from intuition and savvy. She, like many of her generation, have learned to embrace all of humanity and she would not more hurt another human than most. Any generation of born before 1970 have had to learn from the lessons of history and personal experience that all races are equal as human beings. I think Paula means no harm and does not deserve to be persecuted. Black or white, rasicsm exists. If you are white, middle aged woman, or man, you are more likely to be subject to public scrutiny for admitting even past rasist insinuation even if you now know better now and regret. Blacks are often above this and I have seen a reverse discrimination go overlooked. It is a double standard. Let Paula continue to bring her talents to America and entertain. She is kind and fun. She is no more prejudiced than many blacks. In fact, I would say she is not at all. Many are also prejudiced against Southern culture and obsessed with "healthy" food. they have no idea how to just live down to earth. We all need to be kinder and forgiving. I agree with her that if you have never sinned in or used the N word, then throw that stone.
You know the funny things is - I don't know one single person in my real life who has protested Paula Deen - most don't even know who she is. Who are ALL these people who are calling for her resignation? Heck, I don't even know any black people that are up in arms about it.

I think it is solely her employers, FN, Wal-Mart, Target and whoever else. They want rid of her. Perhaps they wanted rid of her after the diabetes issue - which was it's own little PR nightmare given the nature of her cooking.

Point is - no one I know is calling for her to be fired. It's is completely in the realm of those almighty job creators, Food Network, Walmart and Target who want to see her gone.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:38 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vljackson52 View Post
Come on. I hate the word ******. It is worse than any word in the English language, but if you grew up in the

Paula Dean is being assasinated by a young, liberal, unforgiving media. She is a human who has started with nothing but love of humanity and cooking and made from homecooking a respectable business. She was a single mom who made it from intuition and savvy. She, like many of her generation, have learned to embrace all of humanity and she would not more hurt another human than most. Any generation of born before 1970 have had to learn from the lessons of history and personal experience that all races are equal as human beings. I think Paula means no harm and does not deserve to be persecuted. Black or white, rasicsm exists. If you are white, middle aged woman, or man, you are more likely to be subject to public scrutiny for admitting even past rasist insinuation even if you now know better now and regret. Blacks are often above this and I have seen a reverse discrimination go overlooked. It is a double standard. Let Paula continue to bring her talents to America and entertain. She is kind and fun. She is no more prejudiced than many blacks. In fact, I would say she is not at all. Many are also prejudiced against Southern culture and obsessed with "healthy" food. they have no idea how to just live down to earth. We all need to be kinder and forgiving. I agree with her that if you have never sinned in or used the N word, then throw that stone.
wish so many more people would feel like you do, thank you, your a sweetie!

Old 06-28-2013, 07:41 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
There's been much worse celeb scandals than this, & nowhere near as much media attention. Makes ya wonder......

Like the guy who is Elmo on Sesame Street molesting underage boys, & still winning an Emmy after it was publicized. Or Jay Z reportedly not allowing white people into his Brit party.
The whole thing with Paula Deen is purposely being blown out of proportion. How disgusting.
I have only seen this woman on The View and some Ramsay show. From that small exposure I had her pegged as someone who had developed Southern Shtick to promote herself - not real Southern as I knew it, but over the top. I saw her as disingenuous - someone not to be trusted. Her subsequent actions as well as what we have found out about her only solidified that opinion.

What I find as interesting, is that there are SO many others out there who feel the same way. From her appearances on these shows I got the impression that she was very popular, but as her sponsors and business associates have evidently found out, there is a huge public out there who had remained silent until now who also found her persona repulsive.

She, I believe, is callous and totally self serving. Even her apology is not an 'I'm sorry', but 'They are pickin' on me' - full of self pity. Everything is about her. She is clueless of how she has affected others. Her feelin's are all that matters.

Addressing her supporters, I just don't see it. Cannot understand how you could attach yourself to someone like this. She just seems so low.

Last edited by goldengrain; 06-28-2013 at 08:31 AM..

Old 06-28-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Doesn't matter if he lost his job-- that is sick & disturbing. Yet it wasn't made into a huge deal somehow. Obviously their p.r. people were able to sweep it under the rug to an extent. Maybe Paula should've hired that guys damage control people.
I admit ignorance to the two other controversies, but yes, I think we are seeing Paula for what she is, and that is not very nice, but a smarter person would have had much better damage control and put on a much better presentation. You apologize by addressing each issue individually and say what you think you did wrong, how you misspoke, how you may have been taken out of context, how you wanted to do otherwise but 'experts' around you advised you differently but you know the buck stops with you and so you take responsibility and you are sorry.

I speculate that there were too many people involved in her shady endeavors for her to get away with such schmoozing.

Jesse Jackson spends more than he makes.
Even though Jesse Jackson brings in more than $300,000 per year, we estimate Jesse loses ($236,500) per year after lifestyle, taxes and other expenses. RichButBroke.com predicts that at his current pace of spending, Jesse Jackson will be bankrupt in 40 years!
Jesse Jackson's Net Worth | RichButBroke

Old 06-28-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I happened to be in a Target today and they were in fact removing her items from their shelves. I asked why didn't they just sell what they had then don't order more? They said they were told to remove all of it and they will sell it to a company that buys overstock from companies to let them sell it at a discounted rate.

It is a racial slur that black folks use to describe white folks (along with cracker, hon key, whitey) so why should it be OK when the poster is highly offended with the N word? (rightly so BTW) Think that is the point a lot of folks are making in this thread why is it OK for other races to have to tolerate racial slurs when the N word is causing such mass offense?

Your reference to Jeff Foxworthy is a good point that we all get shaded no matter what race we are some kind of way. Comedy makes it OK to use redneck? Rapping makes it OK to use the N word?

Look how Paula is getting slammed when other celebs have said he same thing like other posters have said.

I think now the problem is not just saying the 'n' word, years back, but that she has done several other things that project a very bad image and companies do not want that association.

I think if it were just saying that word, years back, she could rely on her sweet talkin' to get out of it, as she usually does.

This is a different circumstance. It is a combination of things, speaking to character. Bad character.

Last edited by goldengrain; 06-28-2013 at 08:33 AM..

Old 06-28-2013, 08:17 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,589 times
Yes, she has made mistakes, but who hasn't? Are we judging other celebrities and famous people in the same way? No, of course not. Kanye West claims he is a God, yet people keep supporting his minimal talent. Jamie Fox did a stand up routine on SNL recently that was obviously racist towards whites. Tarentino makes a movie with the n word being said every other breath. I could go on and on, but what is the point. A woman from the South makes a mistake and she is demonized. We as a nation are not fair. Lindsey Lohan, Brittney Spears, and Amanda Bynes are villified, while Robert Downey Junior is seen as a hero that overcame his addictions. Are we harder on some celebrities than others? Yes, I think we are, and I believe we are a fickle public.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You know the funny things is - I don't know one single person in my real life who has protested Paula Deen - most don't even know who she is. Who are ALL these people who are calling for her resignation? Heck, I don't even know any black people that are up in arms about it.

I think it is solely her employers, FN, Wal-Mart, Target and whoever else. They want rid of her. Perhaps they wanted rid of her after the diabetes issue - which was it's own little PR nightmare given the nature of her cooking.

Point is - no one I know is calling for her to be fired. It's is completely in the realm of those almighty job creators, Food Network, Walmart and Target who want to see her gone.
I see your point.
I don't think you have to call for her dismissal.
I think there are marketing research techniques that measure public opinion and companies choose not to associate with anyone held in disdain by a certain magic number of the public and Paula's negative numbers are way over the mark.

I think she shot herself in the foot.
If you are in most public positions you have to cultivate and maintain a clean persona. Paula was used to bein' just ol' Paula.

Truthfully, most of us have done and said things that were not tasteful in the past. Usually, we learn otherwise as we gain life experience. I think Paula was so wrapped up in herself and her business that she lost touch. She probably did not mature the way most of us do. The deadly diet, the plantation slaves - these are current indications that she is clueless in some ways, in the way the world has changed.

There is a consumer movement towards healthier foods. It's not just a fad by a few. Mostly all of us know people with cancer or diabetes or heart problems. Go in the supermarket today and you'll find numerous labels boasting of no trans fats, low carbs, gluten or sugar free. The trend is away from Paula's deadly desserts.

Yes. I think to many of these companies Paula was already becoming a liability.

Making her wait staff act as 'n' slaves at a party just put her over the top. There is no way people with any decency can justify that, in my opinion.

Then, there is also the sexual business in the workplace - there is just too much going on with her that is inexcusable.

Last edited by goldengrain; 06-28-2013 at 08:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities