Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-28-2013, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
8,057 posts, read 12,855,251 times
Reputation: 6323

Advertisements

Saw on the news this morning that pre orders for her latest cookbook are #1 on Amazon. The fans have spoken!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2013, 08:56 AM
 
Location: 500 miles from home
33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Reputation: 25816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilipepper35 View Post
I think if they're gonna go after Paula, they need to go after these rappers too. I mean we've all said or thought things we shouldn't have. I have little cousins that listen to a lot of rap and all you hear is N this and N that. Go after them next.
Who is 'they'? Do Target, Wal-Mart, and Home Depot sponsor these rappers?

The ONLY people going after Paula Deen are her corporate sponsors. No one else. Her employers. No one else. Target, Wal-Mart and Home Depot do not sponsor rap music stars for that very reason. That is not the image they wish to project.

For many different reasons, I believe she has become a liability. That's all they care about. Their own image and they are afraid that it could 'possibly' hurt their bottom dollar. That's it.

Paula needs to fire her current PR team (or crisis management team, whatever) and keep her mouth shut for a while. She's not helping herself now. Then, after a period of time, come back. Just like Martha Stewart.

Nothing the public likes more than to see a woman brought down ~ and then come back.

Don't ask me why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Upstate NY 🇺🇸
36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Reputation: 35584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Saw on the news this morning that pre orders for her latest cookbook are #1 on Amazon. The fans have spoken!
Paula Deen has her fans, that's for sure. Those who were her fans won't desert her, and those who rabidly hated her won't get off her back now.

IMO, this is unfolding as it should. There are consequences to ticking people off, and consumers have a right to boycott, etc. Don't forget the Dixie Chicks. Unlike them, though, I think Deen will ultimately be able to come back into the public eye (I wouldn't, however, want to be the white contestant should she ever judge a cooking competition again)

In the end, it's best to simply shut up and....whatever. You pay for your thrills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 09:04 AM
 
27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Reputation: 26197
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I see your point.
I don't think you have to call for her dismissal.
I think there are marketing research techniques that measure public opinion and companies choose not to associate with anyone held in disdain by a certain magic number of the public and Paula's negative numbers are way over the mark.

I think she shot herself in the foot.
If you are in most public positions you have to cultivate and maintain a clean persona. Paula was used to bein' just ol' Paula.

Truthfully, most of us have done and said things that were not tasteful in the past. Usually, we learn otherwise as we gain life experience. I think Paula was so wrapped up in herself and her business that she lost touch. She probably did not mature the way most of us do. The deadly diet, the plantation slaves - these are current indications that she is clueless in some ways, in the way the world has changed.

There is a consumer movement towards healthier foods. It's not just a fad by a few. Mostly all of us know people with cancer or diabetes or heart problems. Go in the supermarket today and you'll find numerous labels boasting of no trans fats, low carbs, gluten or sugar free. The trend is away from Paula's deadly desserts.

Yes. I think to many of these companies Paula was already becoming a liability.

Making her wait staff act as 'n' slaves at a party just put her over the top. There is no way people with any decency can justify that, in my opinion.

Then, there is also the sexual business in the workplace - there is just too much going on with her that is inexcusable.
The whole diabetes debacle cemented my diminished opinion of her. I don't think shooting herself in the foot is her biggest problem. Now, her foot falling off is worrisome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 09:13 AM
 
16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Reputation: 41487
Did any of you even read the entire article or complaint???

This isn't even about the N word, it's about a history of racism at her restaurants. But the media only picked up on that one little thing. Read the entire complaint.

http://www.atlawblog.com/wp-content/...-Complaint.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 09:15 AM
 
Location: In a state of Grace
796 posts, read 858,450 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Did any of you even read the entire article or complaint???

This isn't even about the N word, it's about a history of racism at her restaurants. But the media only picked up on that one little thing. Read the entire complaint.

http://www.atlawblog.com/wp-content/...-Complaint.pdf
You must remember that you can claim anything at all in a complaint. You can lie and change the facts and there is no recourse from the court for doing so. Ask any lawyer. They do every single day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 09:19 AM
 
926 posts, read 1,255,531 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilipepper35
I think if they're gonna go after Paula, they need to go after these rappers too. I mean we've all said or thought things we shouldn't have. I have little cousins that listen to a lot of rap and all you hear is N this and N that. Go after them next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Who is 'they'? Do Target, Wal-Mart, and Home Depot sponsor these rappers?

The ONLY people going after Paula Deen are her corporate sponsors. No one else. Her employers. No one else. Target, Wal-Mart and Home Depot do not sponsor rap music stars for that very reason. That is not the image they wish to project.

For many different reasons, I believe she has become a liability. That's all they care about. Their own image and they are afraid that it could 'possibly' hurt their bottom dollar. That's it.

Paula needs to fire her current PR team (or crisis management team, whatever) and keep her mouth shut for a while. She's not helping herself now. Then, after a period of time, come back. Just like Martha Stewart.

Nothing the public likes more than to see a woman brought down ~ and then come back.

Don't ask me why.
Yup. Her BIG MOUTH is such a big part of her schtick/personality she probably can't shut it!

This is a perfect example why celebrities settle these cases, put gag orders on the settlement, and keep it moving. Her advisors must be as dumb as she is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Upstate NY 🇺🇸
36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Reputation: 35584
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
You must remember that you can claim anything at all in a complaint. You can lie and change the facts and there is no recourse from the court for doing so. Ask any lawyer. They do every single day.

Very true, and the complainant (as I posted earlier) has already been caught lying. Also, again and for that reason, Deen's legal team should have kept her from making a depostion that would ultimately become public. As I said, she has money and deals every day with people who don't.

She lost a battle she never had to fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 09:24 AM
 
Location: In a state of Grace
796 posts, read 858,450 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Very true, and the complainant (as I posted earlier) has already been caught lying. Also, again and for that reason, Deen's legal team should have kept her from making a depostion that would ultimately become public. As I said, she has money and deals every day with people who don't.

She lost a battle she never had to fight.
I just read most of the complaint and I have to say. "Big Whoop". Paula will end up being able to sue those who broke contracts with her and she will come out on top in the end if she chooses to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 09:32 AM
 
16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Reputation: 41487
I live near Savannah and I can tell you that for years, Bubba has been treating his employees this way, and Paula Deen has stood by him because she owns the restaurant. Her biggest mistake is allowing him to continue to manage the place. I am sure all of these corporations are not just listening to the news and then making this decision. They each have their own lawyers and teams of investigators. You seriously think they're going to drop her over an N-word a million years ago? No way. This is a pattern of abuse to those employees and I am glad one finally stood up. The fact that Lisa Jackson is white and standing up for her black employees is not lost on me, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top