Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 04:58 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Diabetes CAN be controlled by diet, mine is right now. I was on Metformin for my type 2 diabetes and because I have lost some weight I am off, and myself and my doctor continue to monitor it. Type 2 diabetes, which is what Paula Deen has, is often see in people that have some extra weight as they get older. Diet has a lot to do with type 2 diabetes.
Ding, ding, ding ding! We have a winner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 05:01 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
SOME diabetes can be managed by diet but if the pancreas has stopped producing insulin, it's more difficult. It's not all about diet and weight loss.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:06 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,529,797 times
But people would rather pop a pill and keep on doing what they're doing than take steps to get better.

And, no, no one is holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to make her recipes, but evidently plenty of people do, even though any person with half a brain can take a look at what she is making and realize how disgusting it is.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:07 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,540,802 times
This is a good article on why Deen is being dumped by all of her corporate partners:

Racism is a Tough Sell: The Real Reason Everyone Dumped Paula Deen - The Daily Beast

Old 06-28-2013, 05:11 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
But people would rather pop a pill and keep on doing what they're doing than take steps to get better.

And, no, no one is holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to make her recipes, but evidently plenty of people do, even though any person with half a brain can take a look at what she is making and realize how disgusting it is.
No one is holding a gun, however she for whatever reason has a large fan base. Why? I have no idea.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:01 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
Of course diet can certainly help with SOME form of diabetes but certainly not for all people and all kinds of diabetes. I lost 7/8 of my pancreas almost 20 years ago and no amount of healthy eating will make it regrow or start to produce enough insulin to keep me healthy.
Did you know that many people who have bariatric surgery are no longer diabetic the minute they surgery is completed? And way before they begin to change their diet.
Did you know there are plenty of skinny diabetics running around?
Did you know that there have been plenty of people 100+ lbs overweight who DO NOT become diabetic?

Old 06-28-2013, 06:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen View Post
Not sure what the race of your grandchildren or lovers have to do with anything, it does not absolve you from supporting a racist. I do not like it when someone downplays the amount of use on any racial slur. To say I only used it once and nevermore is absurd, if it was in your vocabulary to say it once, it was in your mind all along only to be repeated again. Now she basked in the idea that a wait staff at a restaurant were dressed as slaves and felt this would be a good idea to repeat at a wedding to "bring back memories of the old south." Those are some of the ideologies of a racist no more no less.
Perfect example of generational differences in vernacular. I realize that now DATING means SLEEPING WITH(lovers) but back in the 60's and 70's when I was single it meant exactly that-going out for a night's entertainment with a friend.

And I brought it up to say that a "liberal" woman can still be a Paula Deen supporter. And we basically disagree with what a racist is. I don't think anybody who used a racial slur under the circumstances she described is necessarily a racist. I've worked with and known plenty of racists who would never have used a racial slur but they were racist still the same.

Also remember this Plantation Party never took place. She expressed it as an idea (a stupid one I admit) but I have had an idea to kill a few bosses in my past but I didn't ----does this make me a murderer?

I really think a lot of this animus comes down to very real hatred of a rich white woman who is Southern, sounds a bit different than what some people are used to hearing and then think it is fake accent, and are happy to pile on. The War Between The States is being fought all over again.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:31 PM

18,466 posts, read 31,624,300 times
I think it is a damn shame that you cant even be free in what you want to say without ticking someone off.
I hate all this politically correct BS, because that's what it is BS.

20 years ago, give me a break.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:43 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Perfect example of generational differences in vernacular. I realize that now DATING means SLEEPING WITH(lovers) but back in the 60's and 70's when I was single it meant exactly that-going out for a night's entertainment with a friend.

And I brought it up to say that a "liberal" woman can still be a Paula Deen supporter. And we basically disagree with what a racist is. I don't think anybody who used a racial slur under the circumstances she described is necessarily a racist. I've worked with and known plenty of racists who would never have used a racial slur but they were racist still the same.

Also remember this Plantation Party never took place. She expressed it as an idea (a stupid one I admit) but I have had an idea to kill a few bosses in my past but I didn't ----does this make me a murderer?

I really think a lot of this animus comes down to very real hatred of a rich white woman who is Southern, sounds a bit different than what some people are used to hearing and then think it is fake accent, and are happy to pile on. The War Between The States is being fought all over again.
^This

Thank you for clarifying the dating means sleeping with thing, too. I didn't know that it had changed.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:51 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I think it is a damn shame that you cant even be free in what you want to say without ticking someone off.
I hate all this politically correct BS, because that's what it is BS.

20 years ago, give me a break.
I agree about the politically correct b.s..
And the double standard is insane, why in the Hell is she being crucified when so many others have said & done much worse- with no repercussions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities