Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-28-2013, 06:51 PM
 
13,721 posts, read 19,252,722 times
Reputation: 16971

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Life works both ways. Especially when were talking 20 or 30 years ago. I mean just the amount of time that has gone by, for just saying a word is beyond stupid. Obviously someone or ones want this woman ruined, or this foolishness would never have gotten to this level. I don't know if the media is part of the problem or what's going on. All I know is perhaps its times to look at this on both ends, and its time to forgive and get on with life. The firing and the very immature behaviour by the media, and her employers is very unwarranted. Just how many times does Ms Deen have to apologize. Perhaps in time Ms Deen will find she is better off without the Food Network, and the others that have let her go. You apologize and you forgive in this world and that's how life is, or should be.
Agreed. Someone wants her destroyed and what is happening is just sickening. I have watched Paula Deen a handful of times, so I'm not really a fan and don't really watch the Food Network except on a rare occasion. But what is going on is wrong.

Apparently Paula Deen does cruises and people are booking cruises! I think that's great. As for Food Network, Wal-Mart (no loss; I hate that store anyway), Target, Smithfield Foods (again no loss; they sold to China so no way I was going to buy their meat anyway), K-Mart, Sears and QVC, I will no longer support/buy from those companies. If they want to make a statement, I will make a statement too. As I said, I have never been an actual fan of Paula Deen, but I do stand up for what is right and this is not right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2013, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Planet Woof
3,222 posts, read 4,568,417 times
Reputation: 10239
Well, I guess I won't be going out shopping much around here. Home Depot, WalMart, Sears, Target, KMart, and Ballentine Books all have lost my business.

Sure will miss my Kindle if Amazon bans her, but I will renew my library card.

I hope she sues them all.

I have never in all my life seen such unfounded hatred spewed at one celebrity.

And there are plenty more that deserve this kind of treatment, but they are flourishing in their businesses.

I hate the way our culture has deteriorated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 08:41 PM
 
Location: in a galaxy far far away
19,202 posts, read 16,686,206 times
Reputation: 33341
I can't help wonder if these companies are dropping her out of fear that people will boycott their stores. They better think about it because the majority of people understand that she isn't a racist. She comes from a time and place where people grew up with different views and have said something they wish they hadn't. Not only that, that woman who is suing her (for hostile work environment) is probably making this up but no one wants to step forward and say it's wrong. I can't imagine Paula being in business all these years without incident but now this one person is suing. Makes no sense. If the media and these companies are going to crucify her, they better start doing their own ethnic cleansing within their own walls.

I've got an hour or two each day to kill. I may just start sending these companies my own opinion on their ignorant decisions. Paula will be okay someday. She has to ride through this storm. It's painful but she'll survive it. She has family and many friends who believe in her. And that's really all that matters. the rest of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Planet Woof
3,222 posts, read 4,568,417 times
Reputation: 10239
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I can't help wonder if these companies are dropping her out of fear that people will boycott their stores. They better think about it because the majority of people understand that she isn't a racist. She comes from a time and place where people grew up with different views and have said something they wish they hadn't. Not only that, that woman who is suing her (for hostile work environment) is probably making this up but no one wants to step forward and say it's wrong. I can't imagine Paula being in business all these years without incident but now this one person is suing. Makes no sense. If the media and these companies are going to crucify her, they better start doing their own ethnic cleansing within their own walls.

I've got an hour or two each day to kill. I may just start sending these companies my own opinion on their ignorant decisions. Paula will be okay someday. She has to ride through this storm. It's painful but she'll survive it. She has family and many friends who believe in her. And that's really all that matters. the rest of them.
My hope is that this all back fires on these companies and they lose business BIG TIME.

They won't be getting mine....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 09:03 PM
 
27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
Reputation: 26197
I laugh at the boycotts. They rarely work. If anything I am inclined to do business with these businesses now. The whole thing goes beyond racial slurs. The claims in the complaint go beyond her uttering the "n" word. It is a whole pattern of behavior.

Would any of you look up porn on a company computer? Would you do so when in sight of others? Would you make threats against employees? Would you tolerate others doing those sorts of things in your presence? How would you react if your boss did these things? It is these claims that are made against Deen and her brother. Yet, people are defending them. In doing so you approve of behavior that most normal functioning people would find to be repulsive and abominable.

This is a cival action so the burdon of proof is easier than in a criminal action. All the plaintiff needs to show is damages. Which in this case and the deposition MS Deen gave will be slam dunk case. I'd even go as far as to bet they will settle this out of court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 09:13 PM
 
607 posts, read 1,393,357 times
Reputation: 1106
Uh oh! Alec Baldwin went on a homophobic twitter tirade. Where's the outrage at? Shouldn't he be getting dumped by Capitol One and anything else associated with him for his homophobic rants? Where's the lawsuits against him? Where's all the people up in arms with pitchforks in hand demanding his head on a silver platter?

Alec Baldwin apologizes after homophobic Twitter rant | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Planet Woof
3,222 posts, read 4,568,417 times
Reputation: 10239
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I laugh at the boycotts. They rarely work. If anything I am inclined to do business with these businesses now. The whole thing goes beyond racial slurs. The claims in the complaint go beyond her uttering the "n" word. It is a whole pattern of behavior.

Would any of you look up porn on a company computer? Would you do so when in sight of others? Would you make threats against employees? Would you tolerate others doing those sorts of things in your presence? How would you react if your boss did these things? It is these claims that are made against Deen and her brother. Yet, people are defending them. In doing so you approve of behavior that most normal functioning people would find to be repulsive and abominable.

This is a cival action so the burdon of proof is easier than in a criminal action. All the plaintiff needs to show is damages. Which in this case and the deposition MS Deen gave will be slam dunk case. I'd even go as far as to bet they will settle this out of court.
And I "laugh" at your sweeping generalizations and grand delusions. And I READ the transcripts. It's all being blown WAY out of proportion.

Can you HONESTLY SAY that YOU have NEVER, in your lifetime, made any sort of comment using a "racist" term? I was raised in the south and I am NO racist, but I've said the "n" word and plenty of others, especially as kids and teenagers when we first learned of such words: spick, ***, dyke, limey, gimp, whatever. All words in our culture.

If I had to say under oath whether I'd ever said them, I'd lose my professional standing. So would you (if you have any) and so would millions.

I am not for porn, but MANY males view porn at work on their pcs and smartphones. If every man that did this was disciplined, fired, whatever the offices would be empty.

Did he force this woman to view porn, did he sexually come on to her, did he treat her differently because she would not look at it, etc. NO.

This one woman filed a lawsuit, made allegations, and it has all gotten exaggerated by THE MEDIA for publicity. Now that it's all blown out of proportion by the media, these gutless corporations are stupid enough to jump on the band wagon and follow suit.

Puh-leeze...its this sort of "witch hunting" that spread ideologies in other countries and that led to worse things than a reputation being ruined or the loss of income.

Er, yes, the Salem Witch trials come to mind as do other horrible atrocies that shall remain nameless.

All because gutless people failed to speak out against injustice.

Learn to think for yourself instead of just "drinking the kool-aid" of popular, knee jerk opinions.

This is a media feeding frenzy, nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 09:31 PM
 
Location: somewhere flat
1,373 posts, read 1,654,088 times
Reputation: 4118
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
Well blacks seem to only be offended when a white person refers to them with a word they use themselves. White people should be offended when a black person call's them redneck or cracker or any other word they say we don't like.
Yes that's correct. White people can call themselves anything they want. So can ethnic whites.
Between themselves. But a person of another age or ethnic group doing the same?

No. Not OK.

The thing is. whites should know that this word is off limits to them. Why the huge desire to use it? Most of us do not use it.

It must come from hatred.

And yes, I can honestly say that I have never, ever used a racial or ethnic epithet towards any group in my like.

Never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
Reputation: 47919
show your support of Paula here
https://www.facebook.com/BringBackPa...ocation=stream
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 11:10 PM
 
Location: Planet Woof
3,222 posts, read 4,568,417 times
Reputation: 10239
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
Yes that's correct. White people can call themselves anything they want. So can ethnic whites.
Between themselves. But a person of another age or ethnic group doing the same?

No. Not OK.

The thing is. whites should know that this word is off limits to them. Why the huge desire to use it? Most of us do not use it.

It must come from hatred.

And yes, I can honestly say that I have never, ever used a racial or ethnic epithet towards any group in my like.

Never.
And can you say you've never heard a black entertainer refer to whites as ''honky'', ''whitey'', ''cracker'', or redneck''?

Because it's been going on for years on TV, movies, and radio.

None of them had their lives ruined over it.

Neither has Alec Baldwin or Mel Gibson.

Not saying it's right. Just that there is a double standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top