Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 09:35 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
agree and let those without fault stand and introduce yourselves!

Me (standing): "Hello. I'm Soda - and I'm without fault."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 09:39 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,726,238 times
This is so stupid and completely blown out of proportion. NO ONE can say they've never used a nasty term for someone else or they've never used a racial slur for whatever reason. If you say you haven't, then you're a freaking liar!

As for Paula Deen? I'm not a fan of hers and have never watched her show or read her books, etc. However, I think she'll be fine. Let her have some time off and chill out for a while. She'll have another project in the works in no time.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:44 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The Food Network was well within their right to terminate her employment and you are well within your rights not to watch the Food Network again.
100%, in a nutshell.

And I am well within my rights to go buy that red set of Paula Deen cookware I recently saw at Big Lots. Which I will this weekend. I might not have if not for this ridiculous much ado about nothing. My way of protesting stupidity.

Paula is worth billions. She doesn't need the food network crap.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
People who weren't born and/or didn't grow up in the south don't really have a clue. By the time I was 13 I had lived in Alabama, North Carolina and Virginia. By 16 I'd been back in North Carolina and later added Georgia, Kentucky and Virginia again. What was "usual" in the 40s, 50s and early 60s is and has been unacceptable for some decades now but old habits die hard and people slip. I will say this, and I think this is probably what Paula was referring to but may have stated badly, many fine eating establishments in the south employed negro (an acceptable term back then) waiters. They had a wonderful, quiet dignity about them, savored their jobs, were attentive and very proud of what they made into a real craft of service. People today could take a lesson. Many negro women became domestics (another term of yore) for white families and truly became an important member of the families they served, often being referred to as "Aunt ___" by the children and adults as well. Their loyalty was amazing and trust one who knows from first-hand experience, you didn't sass them if you knew what was good for you.

No, those weren't great years from a modern, civil rights perspective but neither were they all bad because in so many instances the love, loyalty and admiration were decidedly two-way streets.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 06-21-2013 at 09:53 PM..

Old 06-21-2013, 10:02 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,525,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I think they are making WAY too big a deal out of this. Like Alley01 said, part of that is what she was ALLEGED to have said. She didn't say she said it. She admitted to saying the N word in the past. Maybe I am wrong, but I would say that MOST people Paula's age, especially in the south, have said that word in the past. I am not saying it is right, but times were different then.

I am 56 and I definitely said that word when I was younger - not because I was racist, but because that is what I grew up with. Brazil nuts were called "n*gger toes." I never heard them called Brazil nuts until I was in my 20s and had black friends. My goodness - we also had the book Little Black Sambo read to us when we were kids. We had Sambo's restaurant. We had Aunt Jemima. And it was accepted by society. We had cartoons depicting black people in stereotypical roles. Uncle Remus - Brer Rabbit and Tar Baby. As I said, things were different then. That's the society Paula grew up in.

Do I say the N word now? No, because I know better. I have had a lot of black friends who have been among my dearest friends. I'm sure they grew up with some misperceptions about white people too. Funny, none of my black friends hold against me things I learned growing up. In fact, we have laughed about it. I have always made black friends easily.

Paula apologized and said she was wrong. It happened TWENTY years ago. Being wealthy makes people a target for being sued and people will use anything and everything to try to get money out of someone, whatever it takes. I am more suspicious of the person claiming Paula said those things than I am of Paula, who instead of lying admitted that she HAD said that word.
I would challenge you to express the above opinions to your Black friends and I will guarantee you that they (we) would not agree with you.

It is very easy for YOU to not take this seriously because YOU have never been and will never be depicted as subhuman or with grotesquely exaggerated physical characteristics.

Your Black 'friends' were not really laughing about the "n*gger toes", Little Black Sambo, Tar Baby and ALL of the other colloquial denigrations of Black people that were born out of the innate sense of 'superiority' that sprung from the Old South and the institution of slavery. These images were not "accepted" by Black people, they were thrush upon us by those who felt the need to assert their beliefe of "superiority" over us. It was racial propaganda. These are VERY painful subjects for Black Americans (and particularly so for those who lived through segregation and Jim Crow. It wasn't a joke for Black people. Your Black 'friends' know that you do not "get it" and never will.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:11 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,525,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
People who weren't born and/or didn't grow up in the south don't really have a clue. By the time I was 13 I had lived in Alabama, North Carolina and Virginia. By 16 I'd been back in North Carolina and later added Georgia, Kentucky and Virginia again. What was "usual" in the 40s, 50s and early 60s is and has been unacceptable for some decades now but old habits die hard and people slip. I will say this, and I think this is probably what Paula was referring to but may have stated badly, many fine eating establishments in the south employed negro (an acceptable term back then) waiters. They had a wonderful, quiet dignity about them, savored their jobs, were attentive and very proud of what they made into a real craft of service. People today could take a lesson. Many negro women became domestics (another term of yore) for white families and truly became an important member of the families they served, often being referred to as "Aunt ___" by the children and adults as well. Their loyalty was amazing and trust one who knows from first-hand experience, you didn't sass them if you knew what was good for you.

No, those weren't great years from a modern, civil rights perspective but neither were they all bad because in so many instances the love, loyalty and admiration were decidedly two-way streets.
And yet these same 'negro' men and women were not allowed to live in the "White" part of town, drink out of the same water fountain, their 'negro' children were not allowed to attend the same schools, and these "wonderful" negro servants and their families were not allowed to eat in the restaurants in which they served. 'Negros' had to step off of the sidewalk to let White pass. 'Negros' were required to go into the back/stock room of stores (not in the front like a customer to shop) in order to purchase merchandise and often were not allowed to try on clothing or shoes.

The 'negro' women (Aunties) who worked in the homes of White people often were not allowed to use the toilets of the homes that they cleaned, could not eat off of the plates and utensils that they washed, were not allowed to enter or exit through the front door of the homes they cleaned, were not allowed to eat inside of the homes of the White families who loved them so dearly. The 'negro' Aunties were often sexually harassed, assaulted and raped by their male employers (see Strom Thurmond and the daughter that he fathered from the 'negro' servant as an example)

Ahhh yes, the good ole days.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:13 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,182,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Yes she should have denied...but she was honest...a rarity in today's world...and look where it got her...
Honesty & Paula Deen shouldn't go hand in hand even before this incident. There was the controversy of her cookware being made by child labor and cheap materials not what she was selling them to be. Where was her morals & honesty?

Then for 3 years she continued to make her millions looking straight into the camera telling folks how yummy her food was when she was a closet diabetic leading her fans to believe she ate what she was showing them. Where was her morals & honesty?

Then she opens up a joint for dear beloved Bubba he had questionable morals & honesty that were brought up at the time. Paula dismissed them as folks being jealous but where was her morals & honesty?

Now this slur anyway you look at it she is not a good role model with her fake clip on gray hairs, fake teeth that look ridiculous for a woman of her age, fake blue eye coloring, fake lifestyle (lives one while selling another).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Benoist View Post
Your famous announcer Marv Albert was forgiven for biting a lady, surely Paula Deen will be back on the waves of air shortly. After a short and suitable period of waiting.
Don't worry her producer and discoverer Gordon Elliott will have her on her own show fairly quickly she is a cash cow for him.

Now having said all that I am not a fan, I don't own one thing Paula Deen has hawked, I'm not a hater or jealous. I applaud her for providing a living for her sons & now an entire host of folks under the Paula Deen umbrella. But do it honestly stop the BS!

Old 06-21-2013, 10:58 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I would challenge you to express the above opinions to your Black friends and I will guarantee you that they (we) would not agree with you.

I definitely HAVE talked to my black friends about it. You are wrong.

Times have changed since the 60s. Things were different then. People grew up differently. People thought differently. People were raised by parents who were raised by parents who WERE racist. People lived what they learned. As times have changed, we have changed.

It is what it is.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:24 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
100%, in a nutshell.

And I am well within my rights to go buy that red set of Paula Deen cookware I recently saw at Big Lots. Which I will this weekend. I might not have if not for this ridiculous much ado about nothing. My way of protesting stupidity.

Paula is worth billions. She doesn't need the food network crap.

It really is much ado about nothing.....& I think I'm gonna go get her cookware as well now.
Great way to protest, lol
Its insane that she's being demonized for something that happened so long ago. And it's interesting how quickly people want to crucify her- as if they're so pure & perfect. He who is without sin can cast the first stone

Old 06-21-2013, 11:25 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
Default She's among the most ignorant and should disappear

She's a pathetic human being and a southern racist. My God, how in the hell was she allowed to have her own show? Shameful! People like her have been dragging this country down since the beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities