Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 11:36 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,855,251 times

Advertisements

The above post is the most ridiculous statement I have read on this site in some time and will not redeem it by copying and pasting.

I for one grew up in the south when the N word was bantered around by whites with little thought. My grandfather was a rural preacher who pushed for civil rights, worked with local black churches and schools and taught us to NEVER use that term. However, we were not the norm for a white family in the 60s in that area.

But MUCH has changed and for the better. Attitudes have changed. People have changed. Great change in my lifetime. Paula Deen is part of that great change. She is contrite and apologetic and not like she once was. The culture she is a part of is not like it once was.

This is PC run amok. If you weren't raised in the south (or many other areas of the country where race has been an issue to overcome) then you have no right to speak on this issue. None whatsoever.

I for one, will be boycotting the Food Network for this silly PC move even though it has been one of my favorite channels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 11:39 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
a southern racist
Did you read the article? She states she has not used the word in many years. The above poster is correct that many, f not most, people in her age bracket grew up when that word was much more commonly in use. It was not taboo the way it is now and for people to dredge up something like that shows a certain measure of hypocrisy.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:05 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
the big problem i have with this is the inconsistencies,,,, if you set a precedent like this,,,but then pick and choose who it is applied to,,,,
the media will crucify certain people and protect others who have done/said worse..

Old 06-22-2013, 12:34 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
There was the controversy of her cookware being made by child labor and cheap materials not what she was selling them to be.

The media did the same thing to Kathy Gifford about her clothing line. Funny that they haven't gone after Elisabeth Hasselbeck for her line being made in China, though.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:08 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
With her plantation nostalgia to have "slaves" serving at the brother's wedding, Paula (as do many who dream of the return of the 'Old South') was longing for a time when the 'superiority' of someone like herself was simply a given....at the expense of others (whom were viewed as lesser beings)

Especially sad about this image - the look on some of the men's faces, the way their eyes look down instead of straight as a normal person would hold their head. Until one can really thoroughly imagine being in that position, of submission to those who are convinced that they are superior just for being born in the right family, and that you are just born to be at the disposal of others...until then, folks will continue to try to minimize all of the hurtful things Paula and her family have said and done. Can't imagine living among folks who are pooh-poohing this disgraceful behavior as if she had just been caught picking her nose.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:09 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
And yet these same 'negro' men and women were not allowed to live in the "White" part of town, drink out of the same water fountain, their 'negro' children were not allowed to attend the same schools, and these "wonderful" negro servants and their families were not allowed to eat in the restaurants in which they served. 'Negros' had to step off of the sidewalk to let White pass. 'Negros' were required to go into the back/stock room of stores (not in the front like a customer to shop) in order to purchase merchandise and often were not allowed to try on clothing or shoes.

The 'negro' women (Aunties) who worked in the homes of White people often were not allowed to use the toilets of the homes that they cleaned, could not eat off of the plates and utensils that they washed, were not allowed to enter or exit through the front door of the homes they cleaned, were not allowed to eat inside of the homes of the White families who loved them so dearly. The 'negro' Aunties were often sexually harassed, assaulted and raped by their male employers (see Strom Thurmond and the daughter that he fathered from the 'negro' servant as an example)

Ahhh yes, the good ole days.
I didn't say it was "the good ole days" and I'm well aware of the inequities that occurred. I lived in the South during those times. Elements of them were awful. There's no way to minimize it, nor should there be. However, I'm also 67 and well aware that significant changes began to occur almost 50 years ago and more and more have taken place over almost three generations. Just how long some (many) wish to continue to hang-on to their anger and resentment is now the question but both it and the answer are really for another forum.

Obviously you conveniently overlooked this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
No, those weren't great years from a modern, civil rights perspective but neither were they all bad because in so many instances the love, loyalty and admiration were decidedly two-way streets.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:17 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,654,340 times
Paula Deen didn't actually say the N word. She said, "The new sheriff is a nearin'."

Old 06-22-2013, 01:24 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,597,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
The Food Network is in the business of making money by way of people watching its shows. If people stop watching Paula Deen's shows because she reminds them of racist southerners, then scrapping the show is simply a business decision for the network.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Personally, I think her popularity has been waning, with the diabetes issue, and her denial about the effects of her recipes being part of the problem, she lost a lot of weight, but continues to pour on the butter, it is a disconnect. People see her as being fake. Part of her persona was her authentic personality, which is pretty obviously lacking.

This was a quick, easy way to dump her, and give a kudo to their black market share. They look all shocked at her saying the 'N word', but secretly, this is a huge win to get rid of her with justification.
I agree with these posts. Terminating Paula Deen was simply a PR move and a business maneuver. Eyeballs on the Food Network channel = primary revenue stream. The FN probably concluded (possibly quite some time ago) that Deen was negatively affecting that, and that this incident would reduce their ratings further if they kept her around. It was probably an easy decision for them to cut ties with her. I think 95%+ of all companies (especially those who interact with the general public in any way) would have done the same thing if faced with this kind of situation.

I of course disapprove of what she said...but the over-the-top reactions to this incident from some people sadly tell me that we are inching closer and closer to a society where we can't hardly say anything without offending somebody.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:29 AM

335 posts, read 670,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Paula Deen didn't actually say the N word. She said, "The new sheriff is a nearin'."
i don't get it whats a Nearin?

Old 06-22-2013, 04:11 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,702,134 times
Does anyone have a source for decent, real numbers showing what Deen's ratings were and what trend they were on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities