Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 04:37 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,318,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
From the article:
Deen is also accused of sexual harassment, and was found in contempt of court for refusing to turn over a video in which she allegedly simulates a sex act on a chocolate eclair.
She was in court because a chocolate eclair sued her?
Honestly, I don't see how this video can prove that she harassed somebody, she just played with an eclair. The world is weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 04:58 AM

335 posts, read 670,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
She was in court because a chocolate eclair sued her?
Honestly, I don't see how this video can prove that she harassed somebody, she just played with an eclair. The world is weird.

sounds like the poor folk looking to make a quick buck a roo from this southern chef

Old 06-22-2013, 05:08 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
well I think everyone should leave it alone because the rappers can get up and slur white people all day long and no one bats an eye and now because this poor woman has said something derogitory they want to fire her ??? give me a break ...Im sick of reverse racism in this country and I for one am appauled at the black commedians making fun of white people ...this is the year 2013 Get over it ....

Old 06-22-2013, 05:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Exactly!

She doesn't come across as a very intelligent person in these articles.
Savvy enough to get rich through her cooking ability and personality. perhaps, but not really that smart otherwise.
Now we are talking about whether she is smart or not, for heaven's sake, that has nothing to do with it. No, I don't think she is a candidate for Mensa, but what happened back then should have been kept back then. I also didn't think the incident with the weeding was that recently. I am not sure about that and it was just alleged.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Does anyone have a source for decent, real numbers showing what Deen's ratings were and what trend they were on?
I don't think we will ever be able to produce them or even know, I think it is just knowing most of her shows are re-runs and talking to people, it appears no one really watches her much anymore. She used to be one of the hottest things on the network. I think her popularity just died out of no new material and over exposure. That isn't unusual. Look at Rachael Ray, how many watch her anymore and how many new shows does she do?

Old 06-22-2013, 06:06 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,702,134 times
So it sounds like her contract not being renewed was just a matter of it simply not being worthwhile for the network to continue paying her star salary. It was just about the money.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:14 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,577 times
I think she is a good cook and all, but she starts to get annoying as she starts acting too full of herself. So, I guess she will have to stick with interviews and her cookbooks.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:25 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
People who weren't born and/or didn't grow up in the south don't really have a clue. By the time I was 13 I had lived in Alabama, North Carolina and Virginia. By 16 I'd been back in North Carolina and later added Georgia, Kentucky and Virginia again. What was "usual" in the 40s, 50s and early 60s is and has been unacceptable for some decades now but old habits die hard and people slip. I will say this, and I think this is probably what Paula was referring to but may have stated badly, many fine eating establishments in the south employed negro (an acceptable term back then) waiters. They had a wonderful, quiet dignity about them, savored their jobs, were attentive and very proud of what they made into a real craft of service. People today could take a lesson. Many negro women became domestics (another term of yore) for white families and truly became an important member of the families they served, often being referred to as "Aunt ___" by the children and adults as well. Their loyalty was amazing and trust one who knows from first-hand experience, you didn't sass them if you knew what was good for you.

No, those weren't great years from a modern, civil rights perspective but neither were they all bad because in so many instances the love, loyalty and admiration were decidedly two-way streets.
Very well put. And accurate.

In addition, as a Southerner, I had never heard the derogatory terms that were used in many parts of the country towards Irish, Italian, Polish, etc. til I attended college and some of my friends from the NE used those words. I had no idea what rivalries existed b/n different communities in the NE.

The N word is not the only derogatory term that Americans have employed to denigrate their fellow citizens. So let's put a litmus test out there that anyone who has ever used a slur towards their neighbors, co-workers, or community down the block should be black balled from society.

If you even write out the words I am describing, the editor of this program auto edits them out. They are offensive. Anyone over 65 in this country who has not used SOME KIND of derogatory slur - raise your hands. In the South, it was the N word. Many pronounced negro as Niggrah, too, which was not considered as blatant as saying the N word. It was simply how some people pronounced the word.

I am not justifying a thing. All slurs are wrong. But the HYPOCRISY is what chaps my butt.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:37 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,030 times
My Nana (actually DH's Nana, but I loved that woman with all of being) was born and raised in Alabama in the 1920s. Her cooking was absolutely astounding and you could actually taste her love in every bite.

Nana & Poppy were firmly brought up in the belief that Whites were superior to everyone; but they learned to change and I remember Nana firmly correcting her daughter (my MIL) when she called someone a n***er (this was around 2000).

Food Network declined to renew her contract. Things change and hopefully, people evolve.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:49 AM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Right. Dollars take precedence over justice, political correctness rules over common sense and personal and corporate cowardice reigns supreme. What a sorry commentary on what this country has become.
So true. does anyone think for a minute The Food Network cares in the slightest about what someone said 20 years ago? They just need to APPEAR to care. Instead of standing behind a woman who made them millions of dollars, they cut her loose. Spineless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities