Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 10:29 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times

Advertisements

...or something like that, having recently made a statement that he considers himself "lucky enough to have found love with a civilian [emphasis mine]." Interestingly, the statement was discussed ad nauseum by a roundtable of journalists this morning, all pontificating on the advantages of celebs marrying "civilians," and no one thinking it was more than a bit odd for a civilian to...well...think of hmself as current or past member of the military.

Memo to Matt: I know you Hollywood people get all wrapped up in the roles you play (consider Martin Sheen, who often sounds like he thinks he really was president), but you're not now nor have you ever been a private in the U.S. military.

In other words, your wife, too, married a civilian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 02:08 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
From "The Dirty Dozen"---

Maj. Reisman (Lee Marvin): Pinkley! How'd you like to be a general?

Pinkley (Donald Sutherland): I'd rather be a civilian, sir.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:16 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
You are making something out of nothing. Many occupations consider people not in that occupation a civilian. How did you even think he considered himself a member of the military?

Old 07-09-2013, 02:18 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,989 times
Actually, I've NEVER heard other people other than the military refer to others as civilians. Whether or not some people do that, it seems odd that Matt Damon thinks of himself in another class as to make a distinction about his wife. That's weird.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:25 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Actually, I've NEVER heard other people other than the military refer to others as civilians. Whether or not some people do that, it seems odd that Matt Damon thinks of himself in another class as to make a distinction about his wife. That's weird.

He is in another class. Richer, more well known, etc.

I guess if you never heard of something it doesn't exist.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:32 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
"Civilian" is not just defined as a non-military person.

Civilian | Define Civilian at Dictionary.com

civilian - definition of civilian by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:14 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
He is in another class. Richer, more well known, etc.

I guess if you never heard of something it doesn't exist.
Yea, THAT'S what I meant. I'm just that dumb.

I meant that I"ve truly never heard that referred to other than the military...never...I didn't say it must not exist or be true...just that it was odd to me that I've never heard that.

And other than wealth, he's not so different than his wife...is he? Is she below him in some way? I just think that making that particular distinction sounds odd to me...like he believes himself to be better perhaps. That was my first impression...and just because you're a rich, famous person doesn't really elevate you...that's what many actors believe but I don't hold to that. Perhaps I'm different myself...being the civilian I am.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:38 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Making a mountain out of a mole hill here.

In Hollywood, stars who date or marry someone not in the business are said to be dating or marrying a "civilian". This isn't new term or phrase he's coined. IIRC, Matt Damon's wife was a waitress or something. It's not an elitist thing, it's just that it's typical for celebs to either date other celebs or date someone in that environment (e.g., producers, writers, PR agents, and so on). It must be easier for them to do so as there are common interests there. There's a reason why you don't really see A- and B-listers dating the local bakery shop owner, small town cop, or daycare teacher and those reasons aren't automatically elitist.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:11 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
for those complaining, perhaps had he used the word "commoner" it would be acceptable????

He seems like a nice,upstanding,grounded guy. Never claimed to be a brainiac; so he used a word most think normally reserved for military lingo--no big deal. Really.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,123,754 times
I am a bit surprised since I have heard the phrase "not in the industry" before and the only thing it suggests is that the person is not involved with the entertainment industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities