Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 03:03 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
We'll see. I think most Beyonce songs are utterly forgettable and fail to make a lasting impression on the general public. How many people who are not Beyonce fans still listen to her old songs? How often do you hear those old songs on the radio? Maybe it's different in the US but it's been years since I last heard songs like Ring The Alarm, Irreplaceable or Naughty Girl. I'm sure future generations will know who Beyonce was but I doubt she'll be famous for her catalogue.

Almost any pop star has been called the new King/Queen of Pop, lol. Justin Timberlake, Usher, Britney, Beyonce, you name it. The media is eager to hype artists up like that but the public won't buy into it.
What artist has ever released songs that are going to continue to be played on the radio? I haven't heard a Michael or Whitney song in forever. Crazy In Love won the best song of the summer for this year- it's still very hot.

The Netherlands aren't very relevant to the music scene in general, so I'd understand why you probably don't hear too much Beyonce on the radio. The song played in her H&M advertisement was never released, but managed to work its way to the third most requested song on the radio.

Every artist is given a name. I haven't heard anyone dispute whether there was a new King, because that title obviously belongs to Michael. Britney has been referred to as the Princess of Pop, Beyonce has been referred to the Queen since she emerged from Destiny's Child.

Quote:
Beyonce "co-wrote" her songs with a whole bunch of other people (many songs have up to 8 writers). I don't see those separate themes at all. All of her albums are basically about love and female independence. Take B'Day, which you say is about being in a bad relationship and moving on. What about Deja Vu, Get Me Bodied, Suga Mama, Upgrade U, etc.? If Run The World is the only "girl power" song Beyonce did, it seems rather out of place on an album about her personal life with her husband and baby, don't you think?
That isn't what you originally said. You said she didn't write her songs, and the ones that have her name on it was only put there by changing portion of the lyrics. Every song on an album doesn't have to stay relevant to the overall dominant message that's trying to be put out. Run The World seems just fine on the album it's on; it's an anthem to women who don't rely on their husband/boyfriend, or anyone in general.

Quote:
I'm aware that I'm showing my own bias here. Beyonce obviously is more comfortable with superficial themes that are easy to relate to and she has achieved a lot of success that way. Not everyone is interested in music that makes social statements or touches on deeper, more personal issues. I frankly don't think Beyonce has it in her to write a truly meaningful song about societal problems - not without half a dozen people helping her, anyway - but people don't listen to Beyonce for that.
Because she wasn't the only one to write it? Have you heard Listen from Dreamgirls? Or the unreleased "Heartbeat" written about her miscarriage?

Quote:
It's a matter of authenticity, once again. Beyonce sings about how "nasty girls" should "put some clothes on" if they have any pride and dignity - while standing on stage in her underwear.
1. Which song has she ever said anything like that?

2. How would any of her performance outfits qualify under the same category as underwear?

It's 2013 and she has the perfect body to show off, while remaining classy. Watch Rihanna and Britney for underwear shows.

For someone with such opinion on a celebrity, you sure don't know too much about what you're talking about...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 05:23 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,180 times
Beyonce works hard for her fans, so she has my respect.
Compared to her, Rihanna phones her performances in ...

Old 09-03-2013, 07:40 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,241,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
What artist has ever released songs that are going to continue to be played on the radio? I haven't heard a Michael or Whitney song in forever. Crazy In Love won the best song of the summer for this year- it's still very hot.
But I bet you would be able to name a dozen Michael or Whitney songs at the top of your heard. I doubt most non-Beyonce fans could do the same thing with Beyonce because her songs haven't made the same kind of impact.

Quote:
The Netherlands aren't very relevant to the music scene in general, so I'd understand why you probably don't hear too much Beyonce on the radio.

Quote:
Every artist is given a name. I haven't heard anyone dispute whether there was a new King, because that title obviously belongs to Michael. Britney has been referred to as the Princess of Pop, Beyonce has been referred to the Queen since she emerged from Destiny's Child.
Justin Timberlake: The New King of Pop returns with '20/20 Experience' - Baltimore Post-Examiner

Michael Jackson: Singer Chris Brown compared to King of Pop? - National Jackson family | Examiner.com

Kanye West: ‘I’m the King of Pop now.’ - The Superficial - Because You're Ugly

Usher, The King Of Pop | Billboard

Ke$ha: 'Britney Spears is the queen of pop' - Music News - Digital Spy

I rest my case.

Quote:
That isn't what you originally said. You said she didn't write her songs, and the ones that have her name on it was only put there by changing portion of the lyrics. Every song on an album doesn't have to stay relevant to the overall dominant message that's trying to be put out. Run The World seems just fine on the album it's on; it's an anthem to women who don't rely on their husband/boyfriend, or anyone in general.
When there are 8 people working on one song, how much of it can possibly be Beyonce's input? I would love to hear a song she wrote all by herself.

You see, Run The World would seem fine on ANY Beyonce album because they all have the same themes.

Quote:
Because she wasn't the only one to write it? Have you heard Listen from Dreamgirls? Or the unreleased "Heartbeat" written about her miscarriage?
Yes, if a song is written by half a dozen people, it's hard to tell whether it really reflects the artist's vision and how much the artist put into it. Just changing a few words in the lyrics is enough to get a writer's credit (and Beyonce has often been accused of doing just that).

If it's an unreleased song, it's not part of her catalogue.

Quote:
1. Which song has she ever said anything like that?

Quote:
2. How would any of her performance outfits qualify under the same category as underwear?
Because it is?

Old 09-04-2013, 03:08 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,540,977 times
I swear I miss these ladies...

Phyllis Hyman

No Name Necessary......

Anita Baker

The Boss

I could go on and on.............These women had class AND TALENT! Rarely is both found in a female vocalist today. If they aint half naked, they use voice enhancers. If they aint using enhancers, they're half naked. These chicks don't really understand that less is more. They don't know what "sexy" really is.......The two women talked about on this thread are the inspiration for Miley Cyrus.....

Is one better than the other? Yep. But who cares??? None of their music will be rendered as classic.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:56 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Not a huge fan of the music of either. But Beyoncé's talent far outstrips Rihanna's. It's not even close.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:59 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
I swear I miss these ladies...

Phyllis Hyman

No Name Necessary......

Anita Baker

The Boss

I could go on and on.............These women had class AND TALENT! Rarely is both found in a female vocalist today. If they aint half naked, they use voice enhancers. If they aint using enhancers, they're half naked. These chicks don't really understand that less is more. They don't know what "sexy" really is.......The two women talked about on this thread are the inspiration for Miley Cyrus.....

Is one better than the other? Yep. But who cares??? None of their music will be rendered as classic.
I'm not the biggest fan of the current mainstream music, either. But I don't understand why people always feel the need to bring up older artists every chance they get. The topic of this thread is between these two entertainers. Yes, we all know Anita Baker is better. Is it really necessary to point that out for the billionth time?

And I'm not saying this as a personal attack to you. A lot of people do the same thing.

As far as not knowing what "sexy" really is, I'd say Beyoncé does pretty well in that department. Rihanna just looks trashy. And I'm not saying looks matter more than talent because they don't, but none of the women whose picture you just posted are all that attractive.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I'm not the biggest fan of the current mainstream music, either. But I don't understand why people always feel the need to bring up older artists every chance they get. The topic of this thread is between these two entertainers. Yes, we all know Anita Baker is better. Is it really necessary to point that out for the billionth time?

And I'm not saying this as a personal attack to you. A lot of people do the same thing.

As far as not knowing what "sexy" really is, I'd say Beyoncé does pretty well in that department. Rihanna just looks trashy. And I'm not saying looks matter more than talent because they don't, but none of the women whose picture you just posted are all that attractive.

Firstly, Baker and the others are not just better.....they are in another galaxy.

Secondly, the legends are brought up because people like you obviously don't know the difference. When light shows, nakedness and autotune covers for the lack of creativity and talent, it's good for THIS generation to know the giants and what they did! It's called education.

Thirdly, sense slutting it up is the new norm.....I'm not surprised that you don't find these ladies sexy.

I rest my case..........

Last edited by citizenkane2; 09-04-2013 at 06:42 PM..

Old 09-04-2013, 06:41 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,241,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Firstly, Baker and the others are not just better.....they are in another galaxy.

Secondly, the legends are brought up because people like you obviously don't know the difference. When light shows, nakedness and autotune covers for the lack of creativity and talent, it's good for THIS generation to know the giants and what they did! It's called education.

Thirdly, sense slutting it up is the new norm.....I'm not surprised that you don't find these ladies sexy.

I rest my case..........
Yeah, Adele is really "slutting it up" these days

Old 09-04-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Adele is really "slutting it up" these days
She's not the norm.....

And the irony is that she's more soulful than Beyoncé and Riahnna.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:50 AM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
I'm not a fan of either one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities