Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 11:14 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,202 times

Advertisements

In terms of legacy.

Everyone has an opinion.

Rihanna- A singles artist. She's been in the music industry for 7 years is on her 8th album. One of her albums have went #1, and all have very little sales numbers. However her singles do very well, thus winning her awards and keeping her relevant. Overall, Rihanna has sold 100 million with 7 albums. Here net-worth is $75.

If you go to her Instagram/Twitter, you will find pictures of Rihanna smoking marijuana, getting drunk, taking pictures of herself naked, cussing, ect.

Rihanna has been in an on/off relationship with Chris Brown, who as well all know, has abused her.

Rihanna's most notable awards are her 6 Grammys, all of which are shared with additional artists. She can sing just at 2 octaves.

List of artists influenced by Rihanna:
Justin Bieber, Ellie Goulding, Demi Lovato, and Willow Smith

Beyonce- Has had a solo career since 2003, where her first solo album went to number one. Her following three albums have all went #1 as well and each have had strong singles. Overall, Beyonce has sold 118 million with 4 albums. Her net-worth is $350 million, together, her and her husband are the only billion dollar couple in the music industry.

If you go to Beyonce's Instagram, you will see pictures of her daughter, pictures of her & her team, professional pictures of her, or other normal pictures you'd see on Instagram.

Beyonce has been with Jay Z since 2003. That's 10 years; they've been married since 2008.

Beyonce has won 17 Grammy awards, the International Artist of Excellence (only one by Michael Jackson, Rod Stewart, Led Zeppelin, The Bee Gees, Aerosmith, and Whitney Houston), the Artist of the Millennium Award, the World Legend Award, ect. She can sing just under 4 octaves.

List of artists influenced by Beyonce:
Adele, Charice, Miley Cyrus, Fergie, Jessie J, Lady Gaga, Leona Lewis, Nicki Minaj, Rita Ora, Rihanna, Jessica Sanchez, Kelly Rowland, Emma Watson, Katy Perry, Britney Spears

Beyonce live:

Beyonce - Halo Live ( acoustic ) AMAZING !!! - YouTube

BEYONCE "THE WAY WE WERE" KENNEDY CENTER HONORS BARBARA STREISAND OSCARS 2013 OSCAR AWARDS - YouTube

Beyonce has been praised by Michael Jackson, Etta James and Tina Turner. She has also opened apartments to help struggling people better themselves, a hair school and salon, and has donated over $400 million to charity. There is a road, hospital, and fly named after her.

Also- Jay Z is Rihanna's manager. Every bit of money she makes goes into their bank account.

So my question is; who do you prefer? Who do you find the better influence in terms of the music industry and young girls? Who's legacy will be superior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 05:34 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times
Neither........

But if I had to pick, the answer is simple. Bey

Old 09-02-2013, 11:22 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Rhianna is just a darker pop princess. I don't think she is that talented.

Although I don't care for the music Beyoncé seems to have more talent as an entertainer.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:49 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,365 times
Something tells me the OP prefers Beyonce

Beyonce has the better voice and is a better entertainer but her material is seriously lacking. An artist of her stature should have better songs than "Run The World (Girls)" and all those other faux-feminist songs. I doubt most of her songs will stand the test of time, they already sound dated a few years after they were released. Will people in 2030 really be listening to "If I Were A Boy" or "Broken-Hearted Girl", like our generation still listens to music from Michael Jackson, Prince, Stevie Wonder and Madonna from decades past? I find it hard to believe. The only "iconic" song she's done is Single Ladies, which isn't even that great (just my opinion) and she only had a small part in creating it.

I do like Beyonce. She seems like a genuinely nice person and she has managed to keep her personal life private for the most part. She has a great voice (live and on record), she knows how to entertain and she's a hard worker. As an artist, I find her rather underwhelming though. Her music doesn't connect with me because it doesn't feel authentic. It's written for her, composed for her, produced for her, choreographed for her; she has very little input in the creative process (and changing a few words of the lyrics to get a writer's credit doesn't count). She's more of a performer than an artist. Also, she hasn't evolved at all on an artistic level. Any song she releases now could have been released a decade ago. Crazy In Love and Single Ladies could have come from the same album. Virtually her entire discography consists of superficial love songs, usually with a "girl power" theme.

Most of this criticism applies to Rihanna as well, but unlike Beyonce, Rihanna is not hyped up to be an icon - nor does she pretend to be one. Rihanna is just a pop star in the vein of Britney and Katy Perry. She sings catchy pop songs and that's fine too. I expect more from Beyonce but so far, she has underwhelmed.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Beyonnce has class and enough talent that she can keep her clothes on. Rihanna has an okay voice but she requires gimmicks and stunts to keep herself noticed.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:58 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Beyonnce has class and enough talent that she can keep her clothes on.
Just barely...

Old 09-02-2013, 09:08 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Beyonnce has class and enough talent that she can keep her clothes on. Rihanna has an okay voice but she requires gimmicks and stunts to keep herself noticed.
Beyonce gets just as naked. She just keeps it to the stage and in her videos. Rihanna stays naked all day. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I agree Beyonce is more talented than 90% of her songs.

I don't really mind either of them, but I prefer Janelle Monae. LOL. At least she's interesting musically even when it doesn't work.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:04 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Something tells me the OP prefers Beyonce

Beyonce has the better voice and is a better entertainer but her material is seriously lacking. An artist of her stature should have better songs than "Run The World (Girls)" and all those other faux-feminist songs. I doubt most of her songs will stand the test of time, they already sound dated a few years after they were released. Will people in 2030 really be listening to "If I Were A Boy" or "Broken-Hearted Girl", like our generation still listens to music from Michael Jackson, Prince, Stevie Wonder and Madonna from decades past? I find it hard to believe. The only "iconic" song she's done is Single Ladies, which isn't even that great (just my opinion) and she only had a small part in creating it.

I do like Beyonce. She seems like a genuinely nice person and she has managed to keep her personal life private for the most part. She has a great voice (live and on record), she knows how to entertain and she's a hard worker. As an artist, I find her rather underwhelming though. Her music doesn't connect with me because it doesn't feel authentic. It's written for her, composed for her, produced for her, choreographed for her; she has very little input in the creative process (and changing a few words of the lyrics to get a writer's credit doesn't count). She's more of a performer than an artist. Also, she hasn't evolved at all on an artistic level. Any song she releases now could have been released a decade ago. Crazy In Love and Single Ladies could have come from the same album. Virtually her entire discography consists of superficial love songs, usually with a "girl power" theme.

Most of this criticism applies to Rihanna as well, but unlike Beyonce, Rihanna is not hyped up to be an icon - nor does she pretend to be one. Rihanna is just a pop star in the vein of Britney and Katy Perry. She sings catchy pop songs and that's fine too. I expect more from Beyonce but so far, she has underwhelmed.
Single Ladies, Halo, and Crazy In Love will be the songs to have a very large impact for the future listeners. Her other very successful singles such as Irreplaceable and If I Were A Boy will continue to be songs that young women listen to while going to similar situations. You also have to consider she's just in her prime- she isn't finished yet. Michael's legacy has had a longer time to evolve. I don't know any other artist to be called the heir apparent to Michael Jackson at only 31.

She's wrote, or at least co-wrote majority of her songs; and not by simply changing part of the lyric. Each of her albums have their own personality. Dangerously In Love introduced Beyonce falling in love and being independent, B'Day was about being in a bad relationship and moving on, I Am... Sasha Fierce was Beyonce moving from being a young girl into a more mature women trying to find who she wanted to be, 4 is Beyonce's entrance into her personal life with her husband, baby, and legacy. Run The World is the only "girl power" song I can think of, and was only on her most recent album. For her to only have released four solo albums, the amount of success she has in unmatched.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Single Ladies, Halo, and Crazy In Love will be the songs to have a very large impact for the future listeners. Her other very successful singles such as Irreplaceable and If I Were A Boy will continue to be songs that young women listen to while going to similar situations. You also have to consider she's just in her prime- she isn't finished yet. Michael's legacy has had a longer time to evolve. I don't know any other artist to be called the heir apparent to Michael Jackson at only 31.
We'll see. I think most Beyonce songs are utterly forgettable and fail to make a lasting impression on the general public. How many people who are not Beyonce fans still listen to her old songs? How often do you hear those old songs on the radio? Maybe it's different in the US but it's been years since I last heard songs like Ring The Alarm, Irreplaceable or Naughty Girl. I'm sure future generations will know who Beyonce was but I doubt she'll be famous for her catalogue.

Almost any pop star has been called the new King/Queen of Pop, lol. Justin Timberlake, Usher, Britney, Beyonce, you name it. The media is eager to hype artists up like that but the public won't buy into it.

Quote:
She's wrote, or at least co-wrote majority of her songs; and not by simply changing part of the lyric. Each of her albums have their own personality. Dangerously In Love introduced Beyonce falling in love and being independent, B'Day was about being in a bad relationship and moving on, I Am... Sasha Fierce was Beyonce moving from being a young girl into a more mature women trying to find who she wanted to be, 4 is Beyonce's entrance into her personal life with her husband, baby, and legacy. Run The World is the only "girl power" song I can think of, and was only on her most recent album. For her to only have released four solo albums, the amount of success she has in unmatched.
Beyonce "co-wrote" her songs with a whole bunch of other people (many songs have up to 8 writers). I don't see those separate themes at all. All of her albums are basically about love and female independence. Take B'Day, which you say is about being in a bad relationship and moving on. What about Deja Vu, Get Me Bodied, Suga Mama, Upgrade U, etc.? If Run The World is the only "girl power" song Beyonce did, it seems rather out of place on an album about her personal life with her husband and baby, don't you think?

I'm aware that I'm showing my own bias here. Beyonce obviously is more comfortable with superficial themes that are easy to relate to and she has achieved a lot of success that way. Not everyone is interested in music that makes social statements or touches on deeper, more personal issues. I frankly don't think Beyonce has it in her to write a truly meaningful song about societal problems - not without half a dozen people helping her, anyway - but people don't listen to Beyonce for that.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Beyonce gets just as naked. She just keeps it to the stage and in her videos. Rihanna stays naked all day. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
It's a matter of authenticity, once again. Beyonce sings about how "nasty girls" should "put some clothes on" if they have any pride and dignity - while standing on stage in her underwear.

Quote:
I don't really mind either of them, but I prefer Janelle Monae. LOL. At least she's interesting musically even when it doesn't work.
Janelle Monae is good but I prefer Emeli Sande or Lianne La Havas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities