Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2013, 01:32 PM

312 posts, read 492,032 times

Advertisements

Think about it: most people who worship celebrities have no/very few friends in real life so they latch onto the celeb's life. They have no idea who the celebrity is when the cameras are off nor does the celeb have any idea they exist yet they'll defend them as if they're their best friend. The celeb basically becomes an imaginary friend for the person.

Note: I'm referring specifically to people who absolutely worship a celebrity and spend every waking minute thinking about them. Not just anyone who's a fan of a celebrity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 02:55 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,639,193 times
I don't know anybody like that. Do you? Do tell!

Old 11-19-2013, 03:42 PM

312 posts, read 492,032 times
Twitter is a good place to find them.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:54 PM

3,845 posts, read 7,918,566 times
I do enjoy a few celebs and follow their career closely (even been known to read a bit if fan fiction also!) I wouldn't say on completely obsessed but I might know a Wikipedia amount info on their so called personal lives. I sometimes college mags with photo shoots or articles and the such. I can assure you I have a great many friends and am constantly busy with mommy play groups and outings and just general social interaction! It's just my escape and I consider it my "mommy time" when I sit down with my cup if tea and check out all the fan pages :-)

Old 11-21-2013, 05:24 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,335,731 times
Well, it's an interesting theory.

There's been plenty of scholarship/study of the culture of celebrity and its function in American society-wonder if they've posited this idea, made this comparison ?
Perhaps it would also apply to citizens' relationship with the monarchy of their country, past & present ?
And in olden times, oral histories, legends and stories of heroes and villains would entertain the populace sitting 'round the fire-
giving us everyday people a sense of familiarity and illusory connection to the larger world and the comparatively "well-known" individuals within it.

Suppose we all want to some degree to feel more important and also like we share something with others...
as well as having a desire to feel related in some fashion to other people,
and if we cannot find real (non-famous) people with whom to interact, one avenue (I suppose), is celebrity-worship.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:11 PM

26,126 posts, read 48,742,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen View Post
Think about it: most people who worship celebrities have no/very few friends in real life so they latch onto the celeb's life. They have no idea who the celebrity is when the cameras are off nor does the celeb have any idea they exist yet they'll defend them as if they're their best friend. The celeb basically becomes an imaginary friend for the person.

Note: I'm referring specifically to people who absolutely worship a celebrity and spend every waking minute thinking about them. Not just anyone who's a fan of a celebrity.
Good theory. I shake my head when I see teen girls go totally bat crap crazy over clowns like justin bieber, etc. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say that perhaps it's a case of such persons lacking a sense of self, or a sense of identity, or having low self esteem or something of the sort, and are perhaps living vicariously through the celeb.

Edit to add: Perhaps these girls derive a sense of community or belonging by sharing with other girls their liking for a certain celeb; it becomes a clubby thing to get together and crank up the hero worship, in some cases a peer pressure sort of thing of "who can love X the most" etc. I dunno, I still don't get it after all these years.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-22-2013 at 12:50 PM..

Old 11-22-2013, 12:00 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,779,642 times
I remember when girls worshiped Elvis and The Beatles. Me, my imaginary friend was Thunderbolt the Wonder Colt. I miss him. I've met too many celebrities to worship any of them. Talk about some insecure people.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:42 PM

26,126 posts, read 48,742,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I remember when girls worshiped Elvis and The Beatles. Me, my imaginary friend was Thunderbolt the Wonder Colt. I miss him. I've met too many celebrities to worship any of them. Talk about some insecure people.
I understand.

As the years have passed I've seen many of my favorite musical artists admit to, or succumb to dangerous drug usage, like the sad story of Brain Wilson of the Beach Boys, man is he ever hosed. I still like the music of these people but the joy is gone. I don't understand those girls with their squealing and screaming and fainting when "celebs" come on stage. Cheering is fine, but good grief.

The heroes I worship are the guys who built this nation, one brick at a time, one bridge at a time, one piece of railroad track at a time, one stunning old building after another. The story of building Hoover Dam should make all Americans proud. I could go on. These are the people that we should look up to and honor.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities