Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 09:01 AM

103 posts, read 212,991 times

Advertisements

8 Celebs Who Have Gone from Rags to Richies | Celebrity and Entertainment News | PressRoomVIP - Part 3

I can't say that I'm the biggest fan of some of these celebrities, but you gotta respect their hustle. Very inspiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 02:41 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,599,094 times
I heard a while back about Tyler Perry being homeless. I never knew the whole story but imo, if people have relatives with homes and didn't live with them until they can get on their feet, then they aren't the real homeless. I understand being a relative doesn't mean you have to allow them to live with you but where were Perry's parents? Were they homeless too?

Old 01-31-2014, 04:00 PM

Well I'm sure every single person have different stories or background. But to answer you question, Tyler Perry as an example, when you're a grown man and can't afford a roof over your head, relative or no relative, you're homeless and on your own lol. And sometimes there's only so much family members can do. You have some of these stars today that were literally outcast from their families because they chose to pursue their dreams.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,259 times
I am living proof that when your homeless you are on your own.tyler did it not many people would have that strength to survive. I am not a celebrity .tyler i believe never forgot where he came from.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:16 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,466 times
I would add Jewel to the list, she lived in her car for awhile.

Whoopi Goldberg was poor and a heroin addict.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:19 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzy View Post
Well I'm sure every single person have different stories or background. But to answer you question, Tyler Perry as an example, when you're a grown man and can't afford a roof over your head, relative or no relative, you're homeless and on your own lol. And sometimes there's only so much family members can do. You have some of these stars today that were literally outcast from their families because they chose to pursue their dreams.
It's great to hear of a comeback story from anyone. As for the definition of homeless ezzy is correct, As anyone without a fixed address is homeless by definition. There are many homeless this way as referred to as the "invisible" homeless. They may be couch surfing, staying with friends/relatives (This accommodation usually ends when conflicts over space and the like arise) or staying in motels or other temporary dwellings. Some people are NOT homeless but have little income and live in illegal subdivision SRO's where they cannot get mail, And this poses a challenged despite being "housed." People in this situation may have full time jobs as well. It happened to me many years ago actually. Not having a familiar, safe roof over one's head is awful.

These individuals in the article rose far above from where they were.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:49 PM

12,250 posts, read 2,964,782 times
I do like to see people succeed, but am not sure about the Kelly Clarkson comment. Her house in LA was razed? She was from, I think, Burleson, Texas.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:05 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
I do like to see people succeed, but am not sure about the Kelly Clarkson comment. Her house in LA was razed? She was from, I think, Burleson, Texas.
Ooooh! I know this one!!!

She was from Texas but she went to LA for a while to try to make it in the music biz. While she was there, her apartment complex had a fire (?) and was condemned. She ended up living in her car. After being in LA for a year or so and being a demo singer (I think?), she gave up on the music biz and came back home to Texas. Soon after she got home her friend saw the ad for the American Idol auditions and made her go. The rest is history!

Watching Behind the Music pays off sometimes! LOL

Whoopi Goldberg is a classic for this I think, she was totally rock bottom for a while.

I think Kelsey Grammar was too, I remember reading he had a really bad childhood and when he got to his teens basically lived on his motorcycle.

I don't know if she was ever homeless, but Sarah Jessica Parker grew up dirt poor in a trailer park.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
I would add Jewel to the list, she lived in her car for awhile.

Whoopi Goldberg was poor and a heroin addict.
Wait whaa? Whoopi was a heroin addict?

Old 03-04-2014, 08:55 PM

12,250 posts, read 2,964,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Ooooh! I know this one!!!

She was from Texas but she went to LA for a while to try to make it in the music biz. While she was there, her apartment complex had a fire (?) and was condemned. She ended up living in her car. After being in LA for a year or so and being a demo singer (I think?), she gave up on the music biz and came back home to Texas. Soon after she got home her friend saw the ad for the American Idol auditions and made her go. The rest is history!

Watching Behind the Music pays off sometimes! LOL

Whoopi Goldberg is a classic for this I think, she was totally rock bottom for a while.

I think Kelsey Grammar was too, I remember reading he had a really bad childhood and when he got to his teens basically lived on his motorcycle.

I don't know if she was ever homeless, but Sarah Jessica Parker grew up dirt poor in a trailer park.
I did not know that. Good for her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities