Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 09:29 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,228,525 times

Advertisements

Barney Phillips - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John Hoyt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They're best-known for this TV episode~one of THE best from "Twilight Zone":

The Twilight Zone: 064 Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up - YouTube

You'll note that the crazy-acting elderly man is none other than Jack Elam!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 10:05 PM

William Schallert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
To most people, he's "Patty Duke's daddy!" in "The Patty Duke Show". What a busy man with many comedic and dramatic roles...

Natalie Schafer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
She isn't just Eunice "Lovey" Howell of "Gilligan's Island"!

Russell Johnson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I swear that this man was the ONLY reason my sister and I watched "GIlligan's Island". He also did two time-traveling episodes on "Twilight Zone"~the first time trying to prevent Abraham Lincoln's assassination; the second, inventing a time machine that unfortunately rescued a killer about to be hanged~played by Albert Salmi.

Albert Salmi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Salmi, who had a distinctive, gravel voice, gave a remarkable performance on "TZ" in "Of Late I Think of Cliffordville", which is available on YouTube. His character is offered a Faustian deal by a beautiful Devil played by the stunning Julie Newmar.

Julie Newmar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Unfortunately, most seem to remember her only as the first of two actresses who played Catwoman on the Sixties TV series "Batman". For the rest of us, she's Stupefying Jones in "Lil' Abner" and Rhoda the Robot in "My Living Doll", among other roles.

Lil Abner Introduces Stupifying Jones to Jerry Lewis - YouTube
Yes, that's Jerry Lewis!

The other Catwoman was Eartha Kitt though, of course, Lee Meriwether played her in the feature film based on "Batman". Eartha might be more familiar to some as the elderly, witchy lady in "Ernest Scared Stupid". She provided the voice and sort-of image of another witchy lady in the hilarious "The Emperor's New Groove". She also was a terrific singer, one who set off a major controversy at the White House during the Vietnam War; it damaged her career for many years.
Eartha Kitt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFMyF9fDKzE

Old 02-25-2014, 02:28 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Anyone remember Totie Fields?

I remember watching her on The Mike Douglas Show. I liked her, she was really funny.

Totie Fields - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-25-2014, 08:08 AM

Kim Darby

Kim Darby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-25-2014, 08:18 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,688,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

I remember watching her on The Mike Douglas Show. I liked her, she was really funny.

Yes! I too remember her from the Mike Douglas show.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:20 AM

Patty McCormack

I remember her best from the movie, "The Bad Seed".

Patty McCormack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-25-2014, 07:26 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,688,396 times
Quote:
Patty McCormack

I remember her best from the movie, "The Bad Seed".

Patty McCormack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've seen this movie a dozen times and never tire of it.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:56 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:

She was wonderful ... I loved her.

A signature opening line, even before she appeared on stage and was behind the curtain was "I'M READY!!!"

Old 02-25-2014, 08:29 PM

June Preisser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ If you ever saw her acrobatics, you'd know her. These are rather poor clips, but maybe you can get some idea of her specialty.

Apache Dance - SweaterGirl (Rehearsal scene) 1941 Bracken & Priesser - YouTube

Just getting the kinks out - YouTube

Here are three sisters who make her look like an amateur: Ross Sisters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Ross Sisters - Solid Potato Salad (DVD Quality) Full Video - YouTube

This beautiful lady showed up in many roles that focused on her singing skills: Joan O'Brien - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Astonishingly (to me at least), YouTube has none of her performances! She's especially memorable in "The Dick Van Dyke Show" as the opportunistic girl who uses Rob to get onto the show. In several episodes of Western series, she would sing in various styles, including pseudo-operatic as one of those Lily Langtree-like performers touring the Wild West.
EDIT: I found that "TDVDS" episode, but it won't show the link without asterisks! So, copy/paste this to see it: Dick van Dyke 046 The Foul Weather Girl

Speaking of Wild West... Two actors/singers who entertained us would have recurring roles on "Wild, Wild West":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Dunn_(actor) ~ What an amazing performer! He was skilled at drama and comedy, had a fascinating voice and could steal the scene from everyone around him. How sad that he departed so soon. Dunn's real-life and on-screen singing partner was Phoebe Dorin - IMDb. While they were filming a scene for "Wild Wild West", her costume became entangled in the mechanism used to sink the boat they were in. Seeing that she had not reached the surface and knowing that she had difficulty swimming, he dived back under to rescue her. He actually had to tear her gown off in order to free her!

Michael Dunn & Phoebe Dorin - Ho, Young Rider (1966) - YouTube

Michael Dunn & Phoebe Dorin - Bring A Little Water Sylvie (1965) - YouTube

Michael Dunn & Phoebe Dorin - I Know Where I'm Going (1965) - YouTube

How I wish they had recorded albums~even one!

Last edited by MystMoonstruck; 02-25-2014 at 08:38 PM..

Old 02-25-2014, 09:22 PM

Peter Dinklage and Michael Dunn have been mentioned. Other small actors with major talent who should be noted are:
Phil Fondacaro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My favorite scenes of his are from "Troll", which features a young hero named Harry Potter, Jr. (Maybe they should have sued the litigious HP author.) Since I first saw him, I thought he was so handsome.

Troll (1986) - The Faerie Queene - YouTube

Malcolm Mallory the Elf (Troll 1986) - YouTube

Meredith Eaton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ She, too, handles comedy and drama just as deftly, going from a murder suspect in "CSI: Las Vegas" to Kathy Bates' mischievous daughter-in-law and fellow crime investigator in "Unconditional Love". That's Rupert Everett with them, with Jonathan Pryce as the blue sequin-clad singer and Peter Sarsgaard as the Cross Bow Killer.

I can't smile without you - Unconditional Love - YouTube

Warwick Davis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ What a career he's had in SF, fantasy and horror! Imagine: He's been in a number of film series: "Star Wars", "Harry Potter", and~uck!~"Leprechaun".

But, talk about a phenomenal career...
Billy Barty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
At 2:36, that's Billy as the baby in the buggy! He took part in several musical numbers in these films. He even has a bit part in "A Midsummer Night's Dream", a simply gorgeous version of the Shakespeare play:

Pettin' in the Park from GoldDiggers of 1933 - YouTube

Perhaps it's "Out of sight, out of mind" with this actor who has been in every "Star Wars" film~as R2D2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Baker_(English_actor)), companion of the ever-present C3PO (Anthony Daniels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). For a third unseen actor in a famous role, there's the towering actor Peter Mayhew (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Mayhew_(actor)).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities