Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 11:54 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times

Advertisements

When you were a kid, which child stars did you like? Which did you dislike? This might also depend a lot on your approximate age (Shirley Temple vs Ronnie Howard vs Mike Lookinland vs Drew Barrymore...)

I find my attitude is much different from an adult perspective than it was from a child's perspective. As an adult, I find smart, precocious kids funny and endearing when they're interviewed on TV (and I don't really even like kids that much). But when I was a kid, I hated kids like that when I saw them interviewed, and I would complain that they "acted like they thought they were great" or "they're trying to act too grown up."

For instance, in the 70s, you couldn't go a day without seeing Mason Reese. He was in every commercial, and was always a guest on TV shows (like Mike Douglas, Dinah Shore, every variety show).

I hated his guts! I thought he was so ugly and sooooo full of himself.

I also hated Quinn Cummings. As an adult, I can watch the Goodbye Girl and see that she was really talented for being so young, and that she was mature in a cute way. So I see now why adults loved her in the 70s. But as a kid, I thought she was such a show-off, full of herself, and really annoying.

As a kid in the 70s, I loved Katy Kurtzman. I don't think I even knew her name back then, but I always recognized her in everything she appeared in. she guested on Little House and appeared in several Afterschool Specials.

I also loved Melissa Michaelsen. She appeared in lots of shows and the TV movie Orphan Train.

So when you were a kid, which child stars did you love and hate?

Last edited by Tracysherm; 02-26-2014 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: Sorry about typo in title. I can't correct it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 11:55 AM

AAAAHHH!!!! I hate when I have a typo in a thread title and can't correct it!!!!!!!

It's CHILD!!!

Old 02-26-2014, 12:02 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,416 times
Hate is such a strong word, I was not filled with such intense hate when I was a child

Old 02-26-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Hate is such a strong word, I was not filled with such intense hate when I was a child
Oh, come on. I'm using "hate" in the sense of "can't stand" or "dislike so much that you'd like to puke." I don't mean that I didn't think they deserved to exist on the planet or that they shouldn't be saved from burning buildings.

Let's please not get into the "hate is such a strong word" discussion. This is a lighthearted thread. I hate asparagus too; is that so wrong?

Old 02-26-2014, 12:06 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
I found Johnny Whittaker to be particularly annoying.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I found Johnny Whittaker to be particularly annoying.
Ah yes, "Jody"! He was just before my time, but the re-runs were on enough to make him sufficiently annoying. In some movies, didn't he have what looked like a Ronald McDonald hairstyle?

Old 02-26-2014, 12:11 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
I felt the same way about Quinn Cummings.

I LOVED Donny Osmond and could not get enough.

http://www.younghollywoodhof.com/drina/osmond.jpg

Did not like Jimmy.

http://www.younghollywoodhof.com/drina/osmondj.jpg

LOVED Dannielle Spencer, who played Dee on What's Happening. She made sarcasm an art form.

http://www.younghollywoodhof.com/drina/spencer.jpg

I also liked the son on Alice, Philip Mckeon. He just seemed like a fun, nice kid.

http://www.younghollywoodhof.com/drina/philipmckeon.jpg

Let's not forget Kristy McNichol!

http://www.younghollywoodhof.com/drina/mcnichol.jpg

And one of my favorite shows was James at 15, with Lance Kerwin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ABX2-4RTrY

Old 02-26-2014, 12:16 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Ah yes, "Jody"! He was just before my time, but the re-runs were on enough to make him sufficiently annoying. In some movies, didn't he have what looked like a Ronald McDonald hairstyle?

Maybe.

I really only remember him as "Jody" and as an annoying and sappy Tom Sawyer opposite Jodie Foster's good portrayal of Becky Thatcher.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:27 PM

Oh yeah! Kristy McNichol! I didn't like her as a kid. I always thought she looked "dirty"--not slutty-dirty (that came later) but like she needed to scrub her face and neck and wash her hair. And she was the textbook definition of "overexposed." She was EVERYWHERE.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:38 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I loved Shirley Temple movies when I was a kid, and the Little Rascals as well.

I can't think of any child stars of my own age that I really liked. Maybe Angela Cartwright, and Tatum O'Neal - we saw Paper Moon a half dozen times because we thought she was so cool. I did like Hayley Mills and Patty Duke, too; they were a little older. Some of my friends liked Jack Wild from Oliver! and HR Pufnstuf.

The spouse had a crush on Kristy McNichol until the day he died. Probably still does. LOL

Child stars I didn't like - the entire Brady Bunch. There was a child actress named Pamelyn Ferdin whose voice used to drive me nuts - and in the late 60s and early 70s she was in what seemed like every TV show, was the voice of Lucy in a few Peanuts cartoons, and was in some movies (The Beguiled).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities