Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 10:51 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,239,516 times

Advertisements

I've been, embarrassedly, been watching a new reality show "Botched". Up to now all I've watched is Survivor.

It seems that some of the people on Botched getting plastic surgery revisions have also been on other reality shows.

So these are, or were, more or less regular people, i.e. not really actors or trying to be real actors, who have become..........reality show actors. Like that's a new career field or something?

"I'm a reality tv actor" ?

They just go from show to show, this is there gig now.

Its not like I thought reality shows were real but I didn't realize they were so inbred. If you don't watch a lot of reality tv you have no idea its all the same people over and over.

It adds a whole nother layer to the whole...most reality tv is just.....awful.

Are there not enough people to go around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 01:46 PM

12,492 posts, read 2,986,274 times
That's like claiming to be a professional game show contestant. lol They made laws against that though.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:40 PM

That's exactly what its like except they aren't claiming to be professional reality show actors - that's just what they are doing, like people won't notice or something.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:14 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,492,053 times
It is very common. There's "Boston Rob" Mariano, who was on Survivor 4 times and The Amazing Race twice, and had his own personal reality show, chronicling his attempt to become a professional poker player.

The Amazing Race has also recycled contestants from Big Brother and other smaller reality shows.

Here's a 2013 article about contestant recycling on the Food Network.

It's so bad that there's now even "Marriage Boot Camp: Reality Stars".

This article mentions that "There are two schools of thought as to why this happens: One is that producers believe that viewers like the people so much we want them to return. “Survivor All-Stars” and other shows that bring back champions to play again definitely have this in mind. And some series populate their casts with familiar faces, possibly in the hope that they’ll draw new viewers. “
I think some of these people just want to keep their 15 minutes of fame going, others are trying to leverage their appearances into a "real" television career (like Jillian Harris; after her stints on The Bachelor and the Bachelorette, she's now an interior designer and co-host of HGTV's Love it or List it, Too.).

Old 08-01-2014, 07:45 AM

So Jillian Harris is being presented as someone who knows something about real estate but really she's just a reality tv persona? The muck gets deeper!

Old 08-01-2014, 09:06 AM

36,753 posts, read 14,863,870 times
I'm sick of celebs, anyway, and I'm no fan of the current practice of having them appear on game shows (except for Celebrity Jeopardy!). That, and having "pop culture" take over as the lone subject (ie, on Millionaire) turns me off and effectively dumbs-down the game).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities