Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 04:42 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I know plenty of 2 parent working households whose parents are involved with their children. While I had the choice to stay home with our children, you can't paint 2 working parent households with such a broad brush. For some, both parents need to work to make ends meet and some work by choice. Again, I'd rather live in a world of choices.

Lynn Spears doesn't work.
I agree. I am all for families having a stay at home parent; someday when I have children I hope to be able to stay at home. I do feel that I will be able to better raise my children if I am the one spending the most time with them, rather than someone from outside of the family. But having a stay at home parent does not guarantee the children will be raised with good morals, and taught how to make wise choices, and having two parents that work outside the home does not make it impossible to teach children to have good morals and to make good choices. Teen pregnancy would be a lot easier to prevent if the solution were so cut and dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 08:15 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
I just feel really bad for Jamie Lynn, but at the same time, I just hope that she has emotional support from her family. I really hope that she will get the right kind of help in raising this child.
I think that it could be a blessing in disguise. Maybe getting out of Hollywood is what she needs.

At the same time, believe it or not there are some 16 year old moms who ended up doing a really good job raising their kids while having support from family. I'm not advocating teen pregnancy, but I think that if it already happened, the worst thing the public can do is scrutinize, criticize and bad-mouth.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:22 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,129 times
Quote:
I know plenty of 2 parent working households whose parents are involved with their children. While I had the choice to stay home with our children, you can't paint 2 working parent households with such a broad brush. For some, both parents need to work to make ends meet and some work by choice. Again, I'd rather live in a world of choices.

Lynn Spears doesn't work.
I don't think I'm painting 2 working parent households with a broad stroke. I'm just saying if you have a parent that can stay at home and have more influence over the kids than the TV then the children most likely will be better adjusted.

As far as Lynn Spears goes she isn't having much of an influence over her daughter seeing Jamie Lynn left the state and moved in with her boyfriend in Mississippi. My point above was a child needed a parent that took an "active interest" in their child. Lynn Spears didn't do that.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:04 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
And Lynn Spears was a stay at home mom ... well, maybe she worked to spend both her daughter's money so she could shop and publish parenting books .. is that considered working outside the home?
Sorry, but putting your argument for stay at home parents doesn't work in this situation. Like Christina said, it's not a black and white issue .. it's veddy veddy grayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

But again, this new Spears baby is going to have a great life! Nobody needs to worry their pretty or not so pretty heads about. Let's hope that Jaimie Lynn takes more responsibility than her OLDER (yikes!) sister and has those kids in carseats and not on her lap ... has a good relationship with the father of the children ... doesn't go attacking cars with umbrellas with a freshly shaved noggin ... and doesn't start partying with Paris and Lindsay ... oy!

Old 12-27-2007, 11:04 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Perez Hilton posted a story on his site indicated that Spears' boyfriend is NOT the father. The father may be an exec at Nickelodeon who works on her show. I dont normally post "gossip" but this guy (Hilton) seems to always be correct with his sources. This would really make things worse for poor Jamie Lynn.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
And Lynn Spears was a stay at home mom ... well, maybe she worked to spend both her daughter's money so she could shop and publish parenting books .. is that considered working outside the home?
Sorry, but putting your argument for stay at home parents doesn't work in this situation. Like Christina said, it's not a black and white issue .. it's veddy veddy grayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

But again, this new Spears baby is going to have a great life! Nobody needs to worry their pretty or not so pretty heads about. Let's hope that Jaimie Lynn takes more responsibility than her OLDER (yikes!) sister and has those kids in carseats and not on her lap ... has a good relationship with the father of the children ... doesn't go attacking cars with umbrellas with a freshly shaved noggin ... and doesn't start partying with Paris and Lindsay ... oy!

I disagree. I said "a stay at home parent that takes an active interest in their child." Not simply "a stay at home Mom."

Lynn Spears didn't take an interest in the well being of her child. She allowed Jamie Lynn to leave the state and move in with her boyfriend at age 16. Jamie Lynn needed supervision and didn't get it. Lynn Spears let her children run wild because they were bringing home the big bucks. This is not the actions of a parent that takes an active interest in raising their child. In fact, at most any given time, Lynn Spears probably didn't even know where her daughter was. If she was lucky she probably had a pretty good idea what state she most likely was in, but that's probably about it.

A parent that takes an active interest in their children's lives sets boundaries and enforces them. They set a curfew. They know where their children are, know and control who they associate with, they instill values in their children, and they certainly under no circumstances allow their 16 year old daughters to leave the state and shack up with some college age dude. It's in the nature of children to push the limits. Many do it for no other reason than to see just what they can get away with. Jamie Lynn had no parental control. At all.

I stand by my original point. A stay at home Mom or dad who takes an active interest in their children's lives will raise a much better adjusted child. One who will in all likelihood not leave the state and move in with their 18 year old boyfriend and get pregnant.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:47 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Any parent, working or not, can take an active interest in their child. Most working moms and dad's wouldn't allow their minor child to move in with their boyfriend in another state. Again, it's not a working parent vs. non-working parent issue. It's a macro parenting issue.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Any parent, working or not, can take an active interest in their child. Most working moms and dad's wouldn't allow their minor child to move in with their boyfriend in another state. Again, it's not a working parent vs. non-working parent issue. It's a macro parenting issue.

But a stay at home parent, whether it's a father or mother, has much more face time with their child when a stay at home parent is available. Which is the critical element here. It's back to the point where who has the most influence over the child, the parent or the kids on the street corner? If both parents are working how do the parents even know who the child is truly associating with.

Children by their very nature routinely test the boundaries set up by their parents. It's in their very nature. The more time a parent has at home keeping an eye on their children the more of a chance they have of correcting bad behavior.

Parents today are constantly being shocked at things their children have done. It's much easier to monitor teenagers when the parent actually has the opportunity to have face time with the teenager.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:32 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,147,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Perez Hilton posted a story on his site indicated that Spears' boyfriend is NOT the father. The father may be an exec at Nickelodeon who works on her show. I dont normally post "gossip" but this guy (Hilton) seems to always be correct with his sources. This would really make things worse for poor Jamie Lynn.
"Poor" Jamie Lynn should have kept her legs closed.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
In a way this kind of makes sense. It certainly would explain why they have decided to air a program with Jamie Lynn regarding teenage pregnancy. It would be a payoff of sorts.

If the boyfriend was the father, then in all likelihood the sex was legal if it occurred in Mississippi or Louisiana. If the father is an executive at Nickelodeon then in all likelihood the sex occurred in Southern California because the show is filmed in Malibu and Hollywood. Which in California is rape because of their ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities