Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 10:29 PM

334 posts, read 454,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
Creole is black/african american.

And most interviews that I've read concerning Sheila E is that her mother is black, and that she is half black. Plus, she looks black to me.
Look at the UNSUNG television series episode on Sheila E on the TVOne channel. In the particular episode that was done and aired on her, she states specifically that her father is Mexican and her mother is Louisiana Creole. She said that that is what she is and that is what her mix is and that she is proud to embrace both of those and has gradually grown to accept all of who and what she is and how she has never fit into one particular group nor does she choose one over the other.

Do you have proof that "Creole is black/African American"? Black and African American do NOT mean the same thing. Creole certainly does NOT mean Black, and Creole is NOT synonymous with African American either.

Creole in the case of Louisiana Creole is a term applied to those that are descendants of Spanish speaking, French speaking, and Creole speaking peoples and Creole/Latin cultures that lived and formed an integral part of what comprised the vast Louisiana Territory up until the mid 1800s, and upon annexation to the USA. Creoles can be of ANY race or mix of races. There are WHITE Creoles, Black Creoles, Native American Creoles, and even Asian Creoles. Traditional religion is Roman Catholic Christian. Although Creoles can be of ANY religion, creed or faith. Creoles are a Hispano-Franco-Latin based culture and cultural synthesis.

Last edited by CorderoAries; 03-23-2014 at 11:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 05:23 AM

334 posts, read 454,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
Creole is black/african american.

And most interviews that I've read concerning Sheila E is that her mother is black, and that she is half black. Plus, she looks black to me.
If Sheila E looks black to you, then would you say that Jennifer Lopez and George Zimmerman look black to you as well in your honest opinion? They could all pass for relatives of each other.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:51 PM

860 posts, read 1,109,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorderoAries View Post
If Sheila E looks black to you, then would you say that Jennifer Lopez and George Zimmerman look black to you as well in your honest opinion? They could all pass for relatives of each other.

Not really. Sheila E. looks black but not Jennifer and George.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:53 PM

860 posts, read 1,109,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorderoAries View Post
Look at the UNSUNG television series episode on Sheila E on the TVOne channel. In the particular episode that was done and aired on her, she states specifically that her father is Mexican and her mother is Louisiana Creole. She said that that is what she is and that is what her mix is and that she is proud to embrace both of those and has gradually grown to accept all of who and what she is and how she has never fit into one particular group nor does she choose one over the other.

Do you have proof that "Creole is black/African American"? Black and African American do NOT mean the same thing. Creole certainly does NOT mean Black, and Creole is NOT synonymous with African American either.
I don't know why you are so passionate about this.

However, I know Creole people and they are black, and a few look similar to Sheila E. If you have a problem with her being half black, that's on you. Sheila is of Mexican, Creole and African descent.

Her niece Nicole Ritchie is also of African descent and considers herself black.

btw -- According to Henry Louis Gate.........all mexicans have black in them since African slaves were brought to Mexico. So Sheila E. has African on both her mother side and her father side. Her father Pete Escovedo looks like he has some African ancestry, in my opinion. I know black men who have two black parents (not mixed) who look similar to him. I love Sheila and her dad's great-looking afro below:

This may also be of interest to you:

If you've seen her Unsung documentary, she says, "We didn't even know we were Hispanic, we just thought we were black because my mom was Creole." Her father is Mexican. And Creole is a mix of French, African American, Spanish and Native American.

Here's a quote from a Sheila E. interview:

But it’s her work as a philanthropist and a mentor that Sheila E. is most passionate about these days. The reason she was in Cincinnati was to perform in at a gala celebrating the YMCA of Greater Cincinnati Black and Latino Achievers program. “I love talking to the youth and helping them as much as I can or encouraging them, if I can help them at all,” she says. “What drives me is really just being able to be a blessing to someone, you know. I really enjoy that, and as much as I can do, I will
Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/11/...#storylink=cpy

Another tidbit:

Growing up in Oakland, CA Sheila E., didn’t realize she was Hispanic. In her community, there was black and white; she thought she was just Black.

This is from Sheila E.'s website:

Sheila E. Being Honored by California Black Women's Health Project
"Women who dared: our legacy and our future". Sheila E. is being honored by The California Black Women's Health Project at their 17th Anniversary Breakfast Gala.

Date: Monday, November 7, 2011

Time: 7:30 am - 9:30 am

Venue:
The City Club
333 South Grand Avenue
54th Floor, Wells Fargo Center
Los Angeles, CA 90071

For tickets and sponsorship info:
E-mail: wellwoman@cabwhp.org
Call: 310-412-1828.

The California Black Women's Health Project was founded in 1994 and is the only statewide non-profit organization soley dedicated to improving the health of Black women and girls in California through policy, advocacy and education. CABWHP is committed to advocating for policies and practices that promote the physical, mental and emotional health of Black women and girls. We seek to empower women to become active participants in improving our health status. Working in partnership with health care providers, health advocates and community-based organizations, we believe as healthier future for Black women and girls in California is possible

Sheila E. to perform at Apollo Theater benefit
Sheila E. will be one of several all-star musicians performing at The Apollo Theater in New York in tribute to George Clinton on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 7:30 PM. This spectacular musical evening is raising funds for the second annual "STAT! For New York City's Public Hospitals" - celebrating and benefiting the work of our public hospitals and healthcare facilities in challenging times. Tickets are ON SALE now via TICKETMASTER

And doesn't the TV show "Unsung" profile celebrities of African Descent? Isn't TVOne an African American station? And wasn't Sheila E. also on a TVOne show called "Way BLACK when?" She was also interviewed on Ebony/Jet showcase.....another black tv show. Sheila also appeared in several black singer's videos before becoming famous.

If Sheila E is not of African/black descent, then why is she constantly on African/black tv shows, performing at the Apollo, participating in Black functions at the YMCA, participating in black events like the NAACP, Soul Train Awards, was the drummer on the "Keenan Ivory Wayans Show," featured on black magazines like Ebony and Jet, and currently being honored by a BLACK women's organization? Why is she always associated with black/african people if she is "not black?"

Last edited by Sprite97; 03-24-2014 at 04:11 PM..

Old 03-24-2014, 02:55 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,160 times
I don't know if anyone has mentioned Sanaa Lathan, Joy Bryant, or Tika Sumpter

Old 03-24-2014, 07:36 PM

893 posts, read 1,324,431 times
meagan good

Old 03-25-2014, 08:26 AM

363 posts, read 817,387 times
I'm feeling Lori Stokes from Eyewitness News in NY. Kinda hot for 51 years old.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:39 AM

363 posts, read 817,387 times
And don't forget Cynthia Kaye McWilliams and Cynthia Addai-Robinson (Real Husbands of Hollywood and Arrow, respectively).

Old 03-26-2014, 04:53 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,319,687 times
Beyoncé

Old 03-26-2014, 10:03 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,011 times
One of the original Dream Girls, Sheryl Lee Ralph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities