Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 11:22 AM

33,220 posts, read 26,406,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
In this day and age, 61 is probably 'the new 40'. Of course, I'm female, so I couldn't breed at this point even if I wanted to, which I can assure you, I do not want to do.

I'll be 61 at the end of November this year. I ain't no spring chicken, but I do still have a few clucks left in me.

Have you read about some of the stories in which some old broilers, er, older women undergo treatments to give birth while they are my age and/or older?

I've never raised a child, I'm a bio-mom. I must admit that I can't help but wonder how many of these older parents would have the energy to chase around after a hyper toddler? Most of their get up and go might have got up and gone, especially as the toddler becomes older?

I still walk around and am active, but at 71, when kidlet is 10?

It's true one never knows when the end is coming. One of life's greatest mysteries. I have so far outlived both my parents by a few years. No siblings.
I've heard of a couple of women giving birth at an older age. I don't know if they underwent treatments or not though.

However, according to the article in the OP Mrs. Goldblum is only 32 years old (30 years younger than Mr. Goldblum) which is well within normal child bearing years. Agewise then at least, she won't have a problem being a parent.
'In February, the couple stepped out for the Oscars, where the contortionist and aerialist, 32, kept her baby belly under wraps in a black and cream-colored gown.'
Jeff Goldblum Welcomes Son Charlie Ocean – Moms & Babies – Celebrity Babies and Kids - Moms & Babies - People.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 01:22 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,063,864 times
Am not bothered that he and his wife had a child at his age never too late I guess. People are living longer these days and kids keep you young. At least he has the money to care for the child. Don' think people should particularly be having kids in their 20's because it is just too young, too many more mistakes to be made, you don't really know yourself, and you don't have a lot of money. With age comes wisdom supposedly so he just might be in the right head space to have a child now. When you are older you really appreciate the simplest of things and kids are that sugar on top.

Didn't his ex-wife Gena Davis have kids at a later age too?

30 and 40+ year old women are having kids these days so think this is the new normal even though after 30 pregnancies are considered to be geriatric pregnancies which is just sad (they need a new name).

Old 07-11-2015, 01:55 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,179,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I for one have no problem with Mr. Goldblum becoming a father at 62 and again congratulate him and Mrs. Goldblum.
Just because he can doesn't mean he should. Nobody thinks about the kids in these situations at 72 is Goldbum going to feel like going out chasing baseballs teaching skills? 67 jogging endlessly behind the bicycle until his tot can ride on his own?

Nobody say Goldbum makes enough money he can pay somebody to do those "daddy things" because that is bunk! Those are things that bond and cause memories with parents not hired help.

It is disgustingly selfish having children late in life when you could have had them much earlier.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:08 PM

33,220 posts, read 26,406,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Just because he can doesn't mean he should. Nobody thinks about the kids in these situations at 72 is Goldbum going to feel like going out chasing baseballs teaching skills? 67 jogging endlessly behind the bicycle until his tot can ride on his own?

Nobody say Goldbum makes enough money he can pay somebody to do those "daddy things" because that is bunk! Those are things that bond and cause memories with parents not hired help.

It is disgustingly selfish having children late in life when you could have had them much earlier.
There is more to being a good father than chasing baseballs and teaching a child how to ride a bike, both of which he may very well be able to do at 72. And there is no cut off age after which point you can no longer be a loving father. You're entitled to your opinion, but fortunately, the age after which someone should not have a child is not your call. But since you feel so strongly about the issue, you might want to start a thread about it in the Parenting forum.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:14 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,599,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
There is more to being a good father than chasing baseballs and teaching a child how to ride a bike, both of which he may very well be able to do at 72. And there is no cut off age after which point you can no longer be a loving father. You're entitled to your opinion, but fortunately, the age after which someone should not have a child is not your call.
Yeah, I don't get the outrage. Maybe the child will grow up and be happy that he had an older, rich movie star dad instead of a younger, less successful father. The wife is obviously happy about it.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:17 PM

31,887 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Since Jeff Goldblum is very well off it takes the common gripe about older men having children off the table; the child nor its mother for that matter will be turned into an old man's drudge. In ten or so years should Mr. Goldblum require "care" the family can afford to hire help.

In case anyone hasn't noticed there has been a uptick over the past several years of older men having children. Some are from second (third, fourth or whatever) marriages. In the case of gay men the chances at parenthood really didn't exist and or weren't socially acceptable. How old was Elton John when he had his first and second kids? He isn't alone either as plenty of "older" gay males (50 or older) are having kids now that "gay marriage" and surrogacy are open to them.

Quite honestly don't know what all the fuss is about. Older men from royalty/nobility/wealthy down to poor white trash have been having children for ages. The first needed heirs to shore up a succession or to inherit an estate, the latter just didn't give a darn about doing what comes naturally and the product thereof.

Children represent our future so can see many reasons why Mr. Goldblum would want one even at his advanced years. Someone has to inherit his legacy, estates and so forth. Yes there is Mrs. Goldblum but that isn't the same thing.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:18 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,014,359 times
Good for him.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:18 AM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post

I don't see what the big deal is. This is a lot better than having kids out of wedlock. We have a 40% out of wedlock birth rate in America today, and that is much, much more detrimental to kids than a rich, married guy having a kid with his wife at 62.

20 years later, it turns out Dan Quayle was right about Murphy Brown and unmarried moms - The Washington Post

Forget Juno. Out-of-wedlock births are a national catastrophe.

Some researchers identify out-of-wedlock births as the chief cause for the increasing stratification and inequality of American life, the first step that casts children into an ever more rigid caste system. Studies have found that children born to single mothers are vastly more likely to be poor, have behavioral and psychological problems, drop out of high school, and themselves go on to have out-of-wedlock children.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:57 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,179,010 times
I agree there are many scenarios where kids can have disadvantages coming up but it is not fair to the child to knowingly lessen the chances you'll not be living when you birth at such an older age. It seems if you are wealthy or a celebrity it is OK to do this but if this was Sam down the street from you it's a different outcome when he croaks and doesn't provide for said child after death.

Just like all of you I have my opinion on Jeff Goldblum and I'm not telling you to go post in another thread. That is really kicking the can down the road.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:30 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,063,864 times
Jaxson,

I use to share your view point and think you have a good point and don't think you should go to another forum. But Sam down the street should have life insurance (which many people still don't have). Should singles, obese, poor people, or men with multiple children from different women should they not have kids (just look at the NBA or NFL players). Should boxers or NFL players have kids at all because they may eventually might have some brain issue later on in life? Jeff could very well live to be 100 years old and if he reached that age and didn't have a child he might have regretted it. At least his wife is younger.

What about the people who die young? What about people with cancer? If they knew they would die early do you think they would have not had kids? There was a football player who's wife had cancer it would go away then come back and in between she would have kids. Life is a gift! People are going to continue to have kids no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities