Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 05:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,084 times

Advertisements

To what extent is Brad Pitts star status due to his versatility as an actor within genres?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 06:10 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Brad's success is more linked to his looks than anything else. He happens to be one of those actors like Keanu who seems to always be playing himself in every single movie. You never forget that you're watching Brad Pitt.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:41 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Brad's success is more linked to his looks than anything else.
Except think about when few knew who he was in "Thelma and Louise." His expressions in that film, in parts when he had no dialogue at all. Then contrast that with his role in, say, "Benjamin Button." He does have some talent, IMO. (Despite those good looks!)

Old 10-01-2015, 07:00 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
I wasn't impressed with him in his first movie, "Thelma and Louise," and was surprised when he became a big star. I do like him now, though.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:00 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
I honestly feel like, if you take a look at the movies he's done, is up there with some of the greats of his generation. Have you ever scrolled through Brad Pitt's IMDB and realized how many "decent" to "really good" movies he's been in?!

Fury
12 Years a Slave
Killing Them Softly (movie was okay but Pitt was great)
Moneyball
Tree of Life (again, movie was weird, but Pitt killed his role)
Inglorious bastards
Benjamin Button
Assassination of Jesse James
Babel
Oceans 11, 12, 13
Mr & Mrs Smith
Fight Club
Meet Joe Black
7 years in Tibet
seven
Legends of the Fall
Kalifornia
A River Runs Through It
Thelma & Louise

He's obviously done much better later in his career, but overall, he has quite a few solid movies under his belt

Old 10-01-2015, 09:12 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I honestly feel like, if you take a look at the movies he's done, is up there with some of the greats of his generation. Have you ever scrolled through Brad Pitt's IMDB and realized how many "decent" to "really good" movies he's been in?!

Fury
12 Years a Slave
Killing Them Softly (movie was okay but Pitt was great)
Moneyball
Tree of Life (again, movie was weird, but Pitt killed his role)
Inglorious bastards
Benjamin Button
Assassination of Jesse James
Babel
Oceans 11, 12, 13
Mr & Mrs Smith
Fight Club
Meet Joe Black
7 years in Tibet
seven
Legends of the Fall
Kalifornia
A River Runs Through It
Thelma & Louise

He's obviously done much better later in his career, but overall, he has quite a few solid movies under his belt

I agree with this^^^. He's superbly talented; the looks help, for sure, but he can inhabit a character. His crying scene in "Legends of the Fall" just blew my hair back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdlFHPM3A2U

Old 10-02-2015, 06:31 AM

I guarantee that the majority of his fans are women!

Old 10-02-2015, 07:48 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
As a man, I will say that I think he's a brilliant actor. His work in Inglorious Bastards, Fury, Snatch, and Twelve Monkeys is amazing. Anyone that thinks he's just a pretty face is no movie fan.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
As a man, I will say that I think he's a brilliant actor. His work in Inglorious Bastards, Fury, Snatch, and Twelve Monkeys is amazing. Anyone that thinks he's just a pretty face is no movie fan.
Or perhaps not the kind of fan of the movies you prefer and frequent.

I will say that his fight scenes in Troy were impressive-- at the level of, and in the field of, physical stamina and choreography.

But still, and again, his Brad Pitt persona came shining through--- thus, could not be forgotten.

When he succeeds in making us forget who he is in the real (or Hollywood fake), then he has crossed over into the elite.

BTW, very few actors ever reach that level of performance.

Last edited by picklejuice; 10-02-2015 at 11:45 AM..

Old 10-02-2015, 02:04 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Give credit where it is due, he is a talented b@st@rd. No comment on his looks as I am a hetero b@st@rd, couldn't comment.

Acting wise, for me, he was pretty darn good in Kalifornia, Seven, 12 Monkeys, Fight Club and Snatch.
I even enjoyed his work in quirky comedies like Burn After Reading and Mr & Mrs Smith.

I personally liked his 90s movies more where he seemed more of an actor and less of a tabloid face where most people got sick of seeing and gained a biased, derogatory view of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities