Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:41 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,174,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Great, great loss to the show business industry and he's a true legend.

A very good " 007 " I thought

RIP.

( I wasn't sure if I should put this in the celebrities or the film section so I went neutral )
Live and Let Die (1973), with Roger Moore as James Bond, is still my favorite Bond movie. He will be missed. RIP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 10:03 PM

16,401 posts, read 8,482,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I'm glad Roger Moore came along when he did in the Bond series. I really liked Connery in Diamonds Are Forever, they say he rushed thru the filming of that one and it was not his best, but it might be my favorite with Connery, especially the scene where he gets shoved into the casket and they are about to cremate him.

I think appreciation for Roger Moore has increased over the years, back in the 80's Bond fans seem to heavily prefer Connery over Moore and I never really got that, thinking Connery was a less sophisticated Bond and more predictable. Perhaps they pushed the humor factor a bit much in Moore's his first film, Live and Let Die, it was a bit over the top and not quite so PC with all that Voodoo stuff and the Louisiana sheriff that tagged along thru the film. The second one, Golden Gun, was a little better but the funhouse mirror scene towards the end was bit annoying. All the rest of his films were top notch, but for his last film where I think he was getting a little past his prime and the villains were not as good in A View To A Kill. I really want to see Octopussy again, it's the only one I do not have in my collection and it is often skipped over in the Bond Marathons. It was a good film featuring the Russians/cold war, but it's been so long since I've seen it, can't remember the details. I want it !!!

I always thought Jack Lord would have made a great 007, he was so good in Hawaii Five-O and had a part in one of the early Bond Pictures, was it Goldfinger? I guess it worked out for the best because Five-O ran from '68 to '80 and that never would have happened without Jack Lord's professionalism behind the camera and in front of the camera as Steve McGarrett. Wished they could have tossed him at least one Bond film to see what he could do with it, would have been awesome for sure.
Well I once again agree with your post, EXCEPT for saying Roger Moore's last film as Bond was weak. I like Christopher Walken as the crazy villain, and Moore did a snap up job in that film. To me Moonraker was the weakest, with an absurd plot.

I guess we have the same taste, as I also thought Jack Lord was great in H50, and would have made a great Bond as well. I have been up on top of the Ilikai close to where he swung around as the chopper was zooming in for that famous intro. Lord epitomized what cool is, and the whole cast was great.
I cannot stomach the new show.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:16 AM

3,318 posts, read 4,113,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Well I once again agree with your post, EXCEPT for saying Roger Moore's last film as Bond was weak. I like Christopher Walken as the crazy villain, and Moore did a snap up job in that film. To me Moonraker was the weakest, with an absurd plot.

I guess we have the same taste, as I also thought Jack Lord was great in H50, and would have made a great Bond as well. I have been up on top of the Ilikai close to where he swung around as the chopper was zooming in for that famous intro. Lord epitomized what cool is, and the whole cast was great.
I cannot stomach the new show.
Well, in Moonraker Jaws becomes a good guy and finds the girl of his dreams. For a change, Jaws gets to float off in the sunset with the girl. I was happy for Jaws, he was a man of my size and stature, and as a guy with lots of silver fillings, I have great admiration for his dental work. He can eat anything he wants. Moonraker was the last film with Jaws, and I'm glad they gave him a happy ending.

Any of the Moore films are still more watchable to me than most of the others, I like Roger Moore better than any of the others, but Connery and Brosnan were also great in their own way. Chessgeek, what I was getting at with Live And Let Die (1973), which I thought was just OK, it was the first one for Moore and perhaps they should have toned down the silly a bit and tried to ease the transition a bit between Connery & Moore. I did like the "new bond out of his element" feel to that one, but I think they could have made that first one a little better for his introduction. I did like the bayou/boat chase scenes, and the action in that one.

Maybe I'm being unfair about the villains in Golden Gun and View To a Kill. With that last one, that was CIA turf and what was he doing over here fighting petty criminals/drug dealers when Jack Lord could have knocked that guy out with one arm tied behind his back. For Your Eyes Only was the best, and had the best opening song and best opening sequence, starting off with the handicapped villain with the remote control helicopter, Bond got the upper hand and dumped him down a factory smoke stack. I like it. The creepy villains in Diamonds Are Forever were among my favorite villains too, I liked how he finished them off. I also liked the opening song/sequence to Diamonds Are Forever.

Can't remember the movie but it was Roger Moore finishing off a villain by electrocution and he say's "Shocking", he had some witty last words for his villains, very charming the way he kills you.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Well, in Moonraker Jaws becomes a good guy and finds the girl of his dreams. For a change, Jaws gets to float off in the sunset with the girl.an I was happy for Jaws, he was a man of my size and stature, d as a guy with lots of silver fillings, I have great admiration for his dental work. He can eat anything he wants. Moonraker was the last film with Jaws, and I'm glad they gave him a happy ending.

Any of the Moore films are still more watchable to me than most of the others, I like Roger Moore better than any of the others, but Connery and Brosnan were also great in their own way. Chessgeek, what I was getting at with Live And Let Die (1973), which I thought was just OK, it was the first one for Moore and perhaps they should have toned down the silly a bit and tried to ease the transition a bit between Connery & Moore. I did like the "new bond out of his element" feel to that one, but I think they could have made that first one a little better for his introduction. I did like the bayou/boat chase scenes, and the action in that one.

Maybe I'm being unfair about the villains in Golden Gun and View To a Kill. With that last one, that was CIA turf and what was he doing over here fighting petty criminals/drug dealers when Jack Lord could have knocked that guy out with one arm tied behind his back. For Your Eyes Only was the best, and had the best opening song and best opening sequence, starting off with the handicapped villain with the remote control helicopter, Bond got the upper hand and dumped him down a factory smoke stack. I like it. The creepy villains in Diamonds Are Forever were among my favorite villains too, I liked how he finished them off. I also liked the opening song/sequence to Diamonds Are Forever.

Can't remember the movie but it was Roger Moore finishing off a villain by electrocution and he say's "Shocking", he had some witty last words for his villains, very charming the way he kills you.
Wow, I thought I was a fairly big guy. If you are close to Kiel's height and weight, you'd make me look small at 6'7" 240lbs
I hope your teeth were not as metal filled as his was as Jaws.

I agree that Moore's dry wit and sense of humor were a nice touch for 007.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:52 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,403,600 times
Quote:
Well, in Moonraker Jaws becomes a good guy and finds the girl of his dreams. For a change, Jaws gets to float off in the sunset with the girl. I was happy for Jaws, he was a man of my size and stature, and as a guy with lots of silver fillings, I have great admiration for his dental work. He can eat anything he wants. Moonraker was the last film with Jaws, and I'm glad they gave him a happy ending.

I believe the line 'shocking' after electrocuting a villain in a bath, was Sean Connery in 'From Russia With Love' if my memory serves me well.......

My grandson had his photo taken with 'Jaws' actor Richard Kiel when he was a small boy at a James Bond convention about 15 years ago. I was quite impressed. I was even more impressed to see his photo taken with Bond actress Lois Chiles. I'd have gone myself if I had known she would be there.......

Old 06-15-2017, 05:35 PM

26,657 posts, read 26,627,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I believe the line 'shocking' after electrocuting a villain in a bath, was Sean Connery in 'From Russia With Love' if my memory serves me well.......
Goldfinger. It was so long ago, it's hard to remember which Bond and which film!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hON2sYpnJoQ

Old 06-15-2017, 10:08 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,403,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Goldfinger. It was so long ago, it's hard to remember which Bond and which film!
You're right! I got my Sean Connery Bond films mixed up! I saw Roger Moore's first James Bond film in London in 1973. I thought it was all right, but I wanted Sean Connery back in the role. It wasn't to be sadly, except in the much later independently made 'Never Say Never Again.'

Old 06-16-2017, 12:07 AM

3,318 posts, read 4,113,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Wow, I thought I was a fairly big guy. If you are close to Kiel's height and weight, you'd make me look small at 6'7" 240lbs
I hope your teeth were not as metal filled as his was as Jaws.

I agree that Moore's dry wit and sense of humor were a nice touch for 007.
Just looked up Kiel's height, he was 7 foot 1 1/2 inch tall, he's got almost a foot on me so I'm not in his league, but I could pass for one of the Rockford Files goons, lol, Jeez that guy was tall, but from what I heard, little Nick Nack was quite the ladies man off screen, he probably saw more action than Kiel, lol. I'm glad Moore decided to spare his life at the end of Golden Gun, instead of drowning him in the trunk, he was seen dangling from the ships mast in a fishing net at the end. I thought Nick Nack appeared in more than one Bond film, but no, Wiki says Golden Gun was his only appearance, he was 3 foot 10 inches tall, glad he eventually got a steady gig on Fantasy Island as Tatoo, the show wouldn't have been the same without him alongside Ricardo Montalban. Herve Villechaize was only 50 when he died in 1993, Kiel passed in 2014, aged 74, which is pretty good for a guy that tall.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Just looked up Kiel's height, he was 7 foot 1 1/2 inch tall, he's got almost a foot on me so I'm not in his league, but I could pass for one of the Rockford Files goons, lol, Jeez that guy was tall, but from what I heard, little Nick Nack was quite the ladies man off screen, he probably saw more action than Kiel, lol. I'm glad Moore decided to spare his life at the end of Golden Gun, instead of drowning him in the trunk, he was seen dangling from the ships mast in a fishing net at the end. I thought Nick Nack appeared in more than one Bond film, but no, Wiki says Golden Gun was his only appearance, he was 3 foot 10 inches tall, glad he eventually got a steady gig on Fantasy Island as Tatoo, the show wouldn't have been the same without him alongside Ricardo Montalban. Herve Villechaize was only 50 when he died in 1993, Kiel passed in 2014, aged 74, which is pretty good for a guy that tall.
I knew a former professional basketball player who is 7'2" and when I looked up at him, I got a sense of how average sized people feel like looking up at me.

As to the mistaken belief that tall people have short life spans, that is a misnomer. People like Kiel was fortunate to live that long, because like some other "giants", he suffered from Acromegaly like Andre the Giant. Anthony Robbins also has the condition, but he is still alive in his late 50's.

As to big guys like myself, most live to the average lifespan of averaged sized adults. Famous tall people like Chuck Connors, John Wayne and others died not because of height, but rather cancer from smoking. I don't care what size you are, if you put poison into your lungs on a regular basis, you are going to die from it. James Arness lived to a ripe old age of 88, and was 6'7". Modern day actors like James Cromwell, Brad Garret, Fred Dyrer, Vince Vaughn, etc. should all live normal lifespans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities