Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 12:08 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I must be the only person in the U.S. who detested Manchester By The Sea. I somehow got through the movie and concluded it was a waste of my precious time and THE worst movie I have ever seen. I dunno.....
Michelle Williams role was barely noticeable.

Nope. You're not. I don't know if I'd call it the worst movie I've ever seen, but I hated it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 05:00 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Nope. You're not. I don't know if I'd call it the worst movie I've ever seen, but I hated it.
Same here and I really think Casey Affleck is very talented. I wanted to like it but thought it was one of his worst movies.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:17 PM

109 posts, read 66,434 times
Another Affleck marriage bites the dust.

Casey Affleck's Wife Summer Phoenix Files for Divorce

Old 08-01-2017, 05:44 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I must be the only person in the U.S. who detested Manchester By The Sea. I somehow got through the movie and concluded it was a waste of my precious time and THE worst movie I have ever seen. I dunno.....
Michelle Williams role was barely noticeable.
No your not, .It was a beautiful location but the movie was terrible.,the wife hated it as much as I did.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:16 PM

Casey Affleck to star in adaptation of 'Stoner' Casey Affleck to star in adaptation of "Stoner" - LA Times

Old 09-11-2017, 12:36 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatethemedia View Post

When I get around to reading the sex harassment allegations I'll comment more about that. Right now I just want to focus on the movies.

typical

Old 09-11-2017, 10:46 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Saw AINT THEM BODIES SAINTS recently.

Not much of a plot and predictable too, but I appreciated his performance, and think he is quite talented. An unusual movie and slow at times...watch it if you like him but not just for the movie.

QUOTE=Ihatethemedia;48366154]This is an odd forum, it seems to be mostly a repository of RIP notices. Since the IMDB message boards are gone, I'd like to take this opportunity to discuss current actors/actresses and their work. Will you join me in discussions?

Casey Affleck has been on my mind lately since he's the man of the hour after winning every Best Actor award out there this year for Manchester By The Sea, a movie I loved and still think about it.

I don't know much about him personally other than he's Ben Affleck's younger brother, he did a hilarious SNL skit about Dunkin Donuts that I go back and watch periodically when I need a laugh:

...and there is/was some controversy about him supposedly sexually harassing some women on a movie shoot.

Personally, I don't care about those allegations made against him. Manchester By The Sea was a movie that spoke to me on so many levels that I when I first heard about the sexual misconduct I just shrugged it off. It seems nowadays that a man can whistle at a woman on a street and be charged with sexual battery. Plus, weren't the allegations made over 10 years ago?

Back to Affleck, I like both Ben and Casey as actors and I think it's a great advantage that they are so different from one another; they will never compete for the same roles or movies.

After watching Manchester By The Sea I decided to check out some of Casey's other movies but I wasn't sure which ones were the good ones to seek out. He does a lot of small, indie movies which are hit or miss.

Of the movies I've seen so far I've listed them from best to worst here. Let me know your thoughts:

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford – this movie bombed when it first opened back in 2007 and it's a shame because it's such a brilliant, under-appreciated movie. It's not a standard or classic Western in any sense. It's more a psychological/character study about Fords's fascination with Jesse James and how he turns from admirer to murderer. This is the movie that convinced me that Casey Affleck could actually act. He got his first Oscar nomination for this role.

Gone Baby Gone – brother Ben's directorial debut. A solid, film-noirish thriller with a twist ending that I remembered everybody arguing about as they left the movie house. The Affleck Boston accent is the standard-bearer for all Boston accents. I always viewed Casey as a small-framed, sensitive type but this movie convinced me that he could play street tough when required.

Ocean's Eleven – Ocean's Eleven is probably one of my favorite heist movies and Affleck's weasley demeanor was perfect for his role. His comedic rapport with Scott Caan was evident and one of the highlights of the movie.

Good Will Hunting – I just re-watched this movie again for the first time in so many years. Casey's appearance was shocking to me, I almost didn't recognize him. I'd forgotten how young, different—and annoying!—he was back then. Never in a million years would I have looked at this kid and imagined him doing a movie like 'Manchester By The Sea' years later.

To Die For – the three young actors cast as the murderous teens (Affleck, Phoenix, and Folland) could not have been more perfect as a bunch of stoner New Hampshire hicks infatuated with Nicole Kidman.

Tower Heist and Triple 9 – these are good, entertaining movies but acting-wise for Affleck they were throw-away roles, really.

I have not seen Out of the Furnace or Ain't Them Bodies Saints yet.

What do others think of Casey Affleck? Do you love him? Hate him? Indifferent? What are you opinions or recommendations on the Affleck movies you've seen?[/quote]

Old 11-08-2017, 08:54 PM

Online Petition Seeks To Ban Casey Affleck From Next Year's Oscars
Online Petition Seeks To Keep Casey Affleck From Presenting At Oscars « CBS Boston

There might not be anybody left to attend the Oscars next year with the way things are in Pedowood now after the Weinstein scandal broke.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:07 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Not a fan, but thought he was pretty good in a few of the movies OP mentioned.

Like with so many celebrities, he appears to have been bitten with the invincibility bug. Dustin and Kevin have the same disease. It allows them to try things most ordinary citizens would not. It also allows a certain protection. The reality is that a pig is a pig no matter how you dress it up. The studios sell a certain persona. Most of the time it is all fiction.

Dustin Hoffman benefited from roles that artificially elevated him in character and good guy status. Come to find out, he was a typical lech(pig) dressed up in a great guy costume. Surprise, surprise! Welcome to Hollywood...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities