Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 06:42 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times

Advertisements

Its just so out of control, nepotism in Hollywood generally. I would hate to be a young actor or model with no family connections because everyone in those worlds seems to be connected. If you do just a little checking almost everyone in Hollywood is related to someone else.

But its just so egregious now. So many big movies with actors kids who haven't worked their way up at all.

Reality TV just gets more and more prevelant with TV shows like the one with the rapper stars kids - "ooo its so hard for me to be a rapper cuz my daddy is famous". omg I want to vomit.

The latest is growing up supermodel. Celebrity kids being super models. I haven't watched but I see a lot of the trailers. One girl, who is mildly attractive, not modelesque in looks or stature, is talking about her agent got her bookings to this and that. If that kid was from Iowa and didn't know anyone and came to LA to be a model she would never get bookings, nor some of the other featured kids. A couple are seriously not model material.

Its easy to shrug your shoulders at nepotism but it really does affect culture in a negative way. Talentless book and screen writers come up with crap that gets published or put on screens, acted by mediocre actors who got there because of their connections. It doesn't happen overnight, the truly talentless will be weeded out but its a slow drip. Things aren't quite as good, people get used to it, then it gets a little worse, people get used to it. Then the mediocre are considered great! Its a corruption. One of the things that made America a powerhouse is that somehow our culture was less corrupt than many others. Well that is being eroded in many spheres and this is one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 06:49 AM

509 posts, read 484,833 times
Oh please... Why do people spend their days obsessing about celebrities and then complain there is too much celebrity news?

I never see or hear any of this stuff, because I don't watch TV or read tabloids. It isn't very hard to avoid celebrity news; just stop watching stuff that is geared toward promoting celebrities. Read a book on philosophy or watch a documentary on Jupiter's moons or something. How hard is that?

I'm also amused by your assertion that America became a "powerhouse" because its culture was "less corrupt" than others... That one got me laughing out loud.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:50 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Shoved down our throats?

FFS.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:58 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliblue View Post
Oh please... Why do people spend their days obsessing about celebrities and then complain there is too much celebrity news?

I never see or hear any of this stuff, because I don't watch TV or read tabloids. It isn't very hard to avoid celebrity news; just stop watching stuff that is geared toward promoting celebrities. Read a book on philosophy or watch a documentary on Jupiter's moons or something. How hard is that?

I'm also amused by your assertion that America became a "powerhouse" because its culture was "less corrupt" than others... That one got me laughing out loud.
Wow, just out there looking for people to snark on much? I guess since you don't watch tv this is your form of entertainment.

I love books and read extensively. I love movies. I love TV. Good TV. That even includes a few "reality" shows. Nothing wrong with entertainment. I've even been to some ballets.

Why are you on this forum? Why are you even on CD and not taking your own advice to read philosphy?

I stand by my comment on lack of (relative) corruption and success as a great country.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:03 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliblue View Post

Yep. No cable here. I don't have much to talk about on dates so I get them to talk about themselves and then get busy.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Shoved down our throats?

FFS.
Its the first i've heard of the issue.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:42 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
I'm so thankful I don't have cable anymore so I don't have to see any of these "celebrities" or their offspring. I cancelled my subscription to People Magazine years ago when people like Kim Kardashian became celebrities and then became overexposed (pun intended). I don't care about their lives, who's getting married or divorced or having a baby. I don't watch reality shows either.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:43 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Its just so out of control, nepotism in Hollywood generally. I would hate to be a young actor or model with no family connections because everyone in those worlds seems to be connected. If you do just a little checking almost everyone in Hollywood is related to someone else.

But its just so egregious now. So many big movies with actors kids who haven't worked their way up at all.

Reality TV just gets more and more prevelant with TV shows like the one with the rapper stars kids - "ooo its so hard for me to be a rapper cuz my daddy is famous". omg I want to vomit.

The latest is growing up supermodel. Celebrity kids being super models. I haven't watched but I see a lot of the trailers. One girl, who is mildly attractive, not modelesque in looks or stature, is talking about her agent got her bookings to this and that. If that kid was from Iowa and didn't know anyone and came to LA to be a model she would never get bookings, nor some of the other featured kids. A couple are seriously not model material.

Its easy to shrug your shoulders at nepotism but it really does affect culture in a negative way. Talentless book and screen writers come up with crap that gets published or put on screens, acted by mediocre actors who got there because of their connections. It doesn't happen overnight, the truly talentless will be weeded out but its a slow drip. Things aren't quite as good, people get used to it, then it gets a little worse, people get used to it. Then the mediocre are considered great! Its a corruption. One of the things that made America a powerhouse is that somehow our culture was less corrupt than many others. Well that is being eroded in many spheres and this is one.
You're right about celebrity kids being "supermodels" ...seems like if a celebrity kid is even
slightly above average in looks they get to be a supermodel if they choose to do so.

When I read the title of your thread I immediately thought of those bratty Will Smith kids

Old 08-25-2017, 10:12 PM

5,576 posts, read 6,504,647 times
Take Mick Jaggar/Jerry Hall's daughter, Georgia May. If she wasn't "connected" she would not have made it through the agency's door! Put a bag over her head, what a homely woman.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:33 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Celebrities hardly corner the market when it comes to nepotism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities