Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 05:33 AM

23,658 posts, read 13,854,634 times

Advertisements

Should I even care?

You know, before it became news, I had never heard of him. I had to look him up because I thought they were referring to the actor Andy Lauer.

Just now, when I was logging in to check my net usage, they had the headline of "everything you need to know about Matt Lauer" and I am wondering, does he matter only because someone wants me to think that he matters?

Granted, I know more the names of, say, James Tahhan and Rashel Diaz, because I watch those circuits more.......but as with the "scandal" years ago between Laura G. and Carlos Loret de Mola.......hey, limelight people are known for these things......................

............................and so what?

Why should I care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I'll never understand women who say this. Why wouldn't you want women to have equal rights?
Because equal rights necessarily means equal responsibility and face it, there are things women can get away with that men cannot.

One should not give up what advantages they have, at least not without careful consideration first.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 11-30-2017 at 05:58 AM..

Old 11-30-2017, 06:56 AM

26,659 posts, read 26,627,701 times
Just what he said to Anne Hathaway here is enough to turn your stomach.

Awkward Matt Lauer TV moments resurface in wake of firing:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ard/906536001/

Old 11-30-2017, 07:08 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,690,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
Here is an example: My uncle is extremely dedicated to his wife and family. Had been a supervisor at his job for years. He told a joke one day and a woman reported it was "offensive". HE GOT FIRED. Don't know all the details about Matt, but seems some women are going overboard since all these accusations have came out about celebrities, etc. Do they not know this man is worth millions and can get the best lawyers. I am a woman and am not a feminist by any means. It seems to be a double standard. Why ruin someone's career. The truth will come out. During my 20's a coworker of mine, an older gentlemen, told me I had a "dancer's body". I totally took it as a compliment. My, how times have changed!
Times have changed but men apparently have not
I think every woman at some point in her life has been around men who have behaved inappropriately
And MEN know they have behaved this way
The issue for me is that all of these accusers are women--working in businesses that have way more men than women, especially in the higher eschilon of management
Why have NO MEN come out and claimed I saw this guy working with me making inappropriate comments or doing inappropriate actions?????

That is the shame of being a man---
They are just as AFRAID of coming forward to bring these incidents to light
And until MEN are willing to come forward and not be a silent accessory to this behavior then nothing will change...

By keeping silent even if they DO nothing untoward in their own behaviors toward women--but KNOW that bad behavior occurs--
Then they are part of the problem...

There is a HUGE difference in someone making a compliment about a woman's attractive, lithe appearance (someone having a "dancer's body") and a man who forces sex on a woman who is afraid to resist, a man who sends photos of himself in some sort of sexual pose unsolicited and unwanted, a man who believes with some good reason (since he got away with it so long) he is immune from laws that require people to treat other people with respect...

Yes--I agree there can be women who claim abuse when it was consensual at the time and might use it against the man later on as revenge...but it is possible that a powerful man in any business or location can prevent a woman from coming forward because of fear--fear of economic punishment, fear of shunning by her peers, fear of even more emotional pain after making the offense know...

In many states as others pointed out work place rules often don't require a fair and equitable investigation--
People can be fired for issues more minor than sexual harassment...
But the history of America is rife with women being at the mercy of men
I think there are many more examples of WOMEN being taken advantage of than men
It exists---it is part of our culture, and deeply ingrained--and will be about impossible to eradicate despite this latest upheaval which involves the outing of some powerful men that are fairly well known...

But just imagine how many other cases there are that will NEVER come to light--where the men responsible will NEVER pay the price for their painful and humiliating use of power against women...and those women are left to deal with the long-term consequences and any future incidents all on their own...

Old 11-30-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Just what he said to Anne Hathaway here is enough to turn your stomach.

Awkward Matt Lauer TV moments resurface in wake of firing:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ard/906536001/
Thanks for linking that article w/clips--graphic evidence of Lauer's total inability to understand boundaries

That article mentions and shows a clip w/Katie Couric--at one time just about the most "powerful" woman on network news---in the sense of her salary and viewership coverage--the heir to Barbara Walters to some extent...
When asked about Lauer's annoying habits--she says with a little grin "he pinches me on the rear a lot"...
Now when a woman who has a higher profile than Matt Lauer, and is considered a more credible journalist (and I think she was even if they were both on the Today Show) would not take steps to stop that form of sexual harassment and intimidation in the workplace---and her BOSSES (who you know saw that interview) DIDN'T FOLLOW UP ON THAT STATEMENT---and the interviewer did even understand the implications of what Couric said---
That lack of followup and OUTRAGE and its general acceptance as "humor" shows how ingrained this type of sexually demeaning behavior toward women permeates our lives...
Because if it HAD BEEN investigated then Lauer would have been cautioned, watched, and other women would have seen that they didn't have to take his predatory behavior...

Old 11-30-2017, 11:15 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,039,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Should I even care?

You know, before it became news, I had never heard of him. I had to look him up because I thought they were referring to the actor Andy Lauer.

Just now, when I was logging in to check my net usage, they had the headline of "everything you need to know about Matt Lauer" and I am wondering, does he matter only because someone wants me to think that he matters?

Granted, I know more the names of, say, James Tahhan and Rashel Diaz, because I watch those circuits more.......but as with the "scandal" years ago between Laura G. and Carlos Loret de Mola.......hey, limelight people are known for these things......................

............................and so what?

Why should I care?
You should care because one of the top news corporations was failing to report on certain news stories (Weinstein) because they knew one of their employees was no better. Controlling the news in a dishonest way because you have an agenda....it is the very easence of fake news.

You should care because the same news corporation and same employee have tried to use their "moral authority" to sway voters in a presidential election, when they were far worse than what the uproar was about. You should care because advertisers and news corporations and employee all share big fat juicy profits based partly on the ignorance of the buying public. You should care because Democrats have been spouting lies about the "war on women" when the whole time they were the ones waging the war. You should care because when powerful people are corrupt it affects our whole society, and/or signals problems in our society that must be addressed.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 11-30-2017 at 11:34 AM..

Old 11-30-2017, 11:41 AM

Democrats aren't alone in waging a war on women....
That type of comment shows bias in itself
The Republican Party has issues of its own and has an agenda that threatens the rights of women to have control over their bodies and their repoductive health options...and that IS a fact...not fake news...

FoxNews had terrible problems with men leading their news shows and behind the scene who love Trump and promote Trump and create and stand behind fake news stories and yet ignore the real story of sexual harassment by those same men...

Yes--NBC apparently ignored stories about Matt Lauer
And there were stories about Charlie Rose ignored by a different media company
And there are PLENTY of stories about abuse of women in the military services and in contractor companies that our government fails to take seriously and act on

It is an epidemic of abuse that didn't start this year
And it won't stop because of this recent media storm of revelations
And it certainly won't stop as long as MEN continue to shield other men by keeping silence, by buying off accusers (with OUR tax money), and by putting politics over decency...

Old 11-30-2017, 12:00 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,771,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Thanks for linking that article w/clips--graphic evidence of Lauer's total inability to understand boundaries

That article mentions and shows a clip w/Katie Couric--at one time just about the most "powerful" woman on network news---in the sense of her salary and viewership coverage--the heir to Barbara Walters to some extent...
When asked about Lauer's annoying habits--she says with a little grin "he pinches me on the rear a lot"...
Now when a woman who has a higher profile than Matt Lauer, and is considered a more credible journalist (and I think she was even if they were both on the Today Show) would not take steps to stop that form of sexual harassment and intimidation in the workplace---and her BOSSES (who you know saw that interview) DIDN'T FOLLOW UP ON THAT STATEMENT---and the interviewer did even understand the implications of what Couric said---
That lack of followup and OUTRAGE and its general acceptance as "humor" shows how ingrained this type of sexually demeaning behavior toward women permeates our lives...
Because if it HAD BEEN investigated then Lauer would have been cautioned, watched, and other women would have seen that they didn't have to take his predatory behavior...

It's pretty obvious that Couric didn't find Matt Lauer's behavior harassing or intimidating. Believe it or not, some women [gasp!] are capable of putting the kibosh on "forward" men; maybe that's what Couric did.

Or maybe she didn't care because he's a dyed-in-the-wool liberal. Because she's been known to find such behavior uproariously humorous when it originates from that side of the fence.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:22 PM

2,106 posts, read 971,497 times
Had to laugh at all those Today Show ladies all pretending they were shocked , sobbing over it , like they didn't know Lol , they all sucked up to him , laughing at his comments and stupid jokes , phony bunch all of them , now feeling sorry for themselves because he was part of their " family" , no mention of feeling sorry for his wife and kids .

Old 11-30-2017, 01:32 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,775,613 times
Ugly comments...how do YOU know anything you said is true?

Both Hoda and others commented about his family and especially his children. Lauer supposedly told his oldest son himself so he did not to hear it in the news...one decent action of his...

They certainly appeared shocked on air about this...

[/u]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
Had to laugh at all those Today Show ladies all pretending they were shocked , sobbing over it , like they didn't know Lol , they all sucked up to him , laughing at his comments and stupid jokes , phony bunch all of them , now feeling sorry for themselves because he was part of their " family" , no mention of feeling sorry for his wife and kids .
ng

Old 11-30-2017, 01:39 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,566,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Why have NO MEN come out and claimed I saw this guy working with me making inappropriate comments or doing inappropriate actions?????
It has been fascinating, and sad, to read what people have been posting about this subject recently.

In the thread about Al Franken, a poster who I frequently interact with in a friendly manner wrote something that astounded me: that he believes this behavior is just a few isolated incidences of powerful men behaving badly.

I tried to explain to him that NO, this behavior is found in men in every sector of society, not just the celebrities like Matt Lauer who have recently been called out.

But he just won't believe it. He actually wrote "Well, I don't do this and I believe my responsibility ends there."

THAT IS AN ASTOUNDING THING TO SAY AND VERY VERY AWFUL!

It is just shocking that so many (mostly) men don't understand that disrespectful sexualized treatment of women has long been a widespread problem in American culture. And if they don't believe it, they don't see it, and they certainly don't see it in themselves.

I must say, though, as an older woman, I think things have gotten much better in recent decades. It used to be quite common for men to grab and poke and make sexual comments to (and worse behaviors) women who didn't have men to protect them. They would usually stay away from women who had male relatives who would retaliate, but single women with no male relative near to hand would have to simply take this behavior, and pretend to grin and bear it.

There was one specific male principal where I used to live (yes I'm talking about you, Mr. Campbell) who would corner the young female teachers in their classrooms and grope them and force them to kiss him. Several teachers quit because of him. But the men on the school board just snickered and didn't take it seriously and Mr. Campbell was a principal there until he retired. He's in a nursing home now, with dementia, and I'm still angry enough to hope that he suffers every single day for the rest of his life.

I do think that it has gotten better in recent years, though. Thanks to the feminist movement! (You dumb women who have no concept about how things used to be and in 2017 simper "I'm not a feminist" should have to go back in time 50 years to see what your life would have really been like.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.