Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 09:52 PM

666 posts, read 512,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Comedy is being killed by Political Correctness, as a lot of comedy is based on generalization, stereotypes, etc. Race, gender, ethnicity, etc have all been used in comedy forever. Now it is often not allowed, and even liberal comedians are complaining about it. Chris Rock, and Jerry Seinfeld come to mind. Neither will do colleges anymore.
You mean politically incorrect comedy is being killed by political correctness.

And Seinfeld is a hypocrite. If he loved politically incorrect humor so much, why was his show the most politically correct show of all time, using euphemisms like "shrinkage" and "master of your domain?" When did he ever use offensive, shock humor in his act? Seinfeld would probably jump off a bridge before saying anything racial or sexually explicit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Race, gender, ethnicity, etc have all been used in comedy forever.
Yes, but it wasn't vicious and mean-spirited, like this hate-filled "All Mexicans are rapists" or "I would kill my son if he was gay" nonsense. It wasn't disgusting, either, like Margaret Cho talking about how buttholes taste like copper or Robert Schimmel going into detail about his package. So I thank God this stuff is getting killed off. It's disgusting, witless and vulgar, just shock tactics; that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 11:03 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
^^^

Yep. Gone are the days of primo comedians like Newhart, Hope, Benny, and Diller.
3 of the least funny people to have ever breathed

Old 01-18-2018, 12:53 PM

14,447 posts, read 20,627,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Diller and Rickles tried to make every word they said to be funny. I put them into a silly comedy group.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:33 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,523,595 times
I wish Richard Pryor could be reincarnated.

I really miss Craig Ferguson on late night.

I did “sort of” like Louis C.K., but now...

FWIW, I think the state of comedy reflects the state of the country...it’s broken.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Said by someone who probably never heard their act, heard their radio programs or watched any of their shows or movies.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
Said by someone who probably never heard their act, heard their radio programs or watched any of their shows or movies.

why don't you post a youtube video from Hope, Benny or Diller that they are funny in?

Old 01-19-2018, 10:54 AM

14,447 posts, read 20,627,395 times
Foster Brooks gets laughs from Don Rickles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdPcjIrSvcs

Old 01-19-2018, 05:52 PM

708 posts, read 576,908 times
Kathleen Madigan is one of my favorites. I love her sarcasm.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
why don't you post a youtube video from Hope, Benny or Diller that they are funny in?
No, I won't. Since you've already made up your mind about them, all you're going to do is waste my time. I'll post clips, and you'll either barely watch them or make some kind of crack reaffirming your negative opinion about them.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
No, I won't. Since you've already made up your mind about them, all you're going to do is waste my time. I'll post clips, and you'll either barely watch them or make some kind of crack reaffirming your negative opinion about them.
couldn't find anything funny, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities