Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 07:25 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

He deletes account, says investors should dump stock

Jim Carrey is quitting Facebook and dumping his stock — and is urging everyone else to do so as well.

"We must encourage more oversight by the owners of these social media platforms," Jim Carrey said in a statement to CNBC. "This easy access has to be more responsibly handled.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/06/come...the-stock.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 07:31 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
I dumped it a long time ago for better reasons.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:35 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Nope. Won't be the first time I roll my eyes at Jim Carrey. Keeping my Facebook.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:01 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,126,163 times
Not a follower or fan of Carrey but I pretty much agree with him on this one thing. I never made an account and won't. I've seen way too many people divulge way too much info there and I watch my large family fight over political issues, social issues, etc.. and when there's a family get together, half of them are straining to stay in the same room with the other half.. who they should be loving instead. The place is toxic and for most people its almost impossible to avoid getting drawn into some of the garbage. And entirely too many young people (who do in fact have good family lives) are validating their existence by the comments and likes of other people.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:08 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,417,131 times
My kids have all dumped theirs, so there's not much reason to keep mine since I can't stalk them anymore.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:20 AM

666 posts, read 512,918 times
I dropped Facebook ages ago, and I'm gobsmacked that no one else did, either, and it gained even more users after I quit.

I dropped it for a whole bunch of reasons, one of them being how it kept being sneaky and resetting everyone's privacy settings over and over again in order to wear users down and get them to stop being vigilant about maintaining their privacy. Other reasons--even though I was strict about my privacy, a family member would take family photos, upload them and then tag me and my parents without my permission. Then the phony "friend me" requests from classmates. They'd friend me, I'd write them a message and they'd never write me back. Turns out they had friended me to see my profile. So that's when I quit.

I have family members who are addicted to it, and it's sickening the stuff they want to "share" with me. For example, a relative wanted to share with me footage of a little girl dying on camera, I guess, to express her outrage or something? And I was like, WTF is she wanting to share that with me for? I've been spending the last 15 years trying to do everything I can to avoid sites like Ogrish and Live Leak, only to have a relative eagerly share this garbage with me because she's so angry and upset over it. Get that ish away from me, please.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:24 AM

666 posts, read 512,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Nope. Won't be the first time I roll my eyes at Jim Carrey. Keeping my Facebook.
It's not "your Facebook." You're nothing but a source of ad revenue for predatory companies and other entities.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
The place is toxic and for most people its almost impossible to avoid getting drawn into some of the garbage.
Not it's not. It's quite easy to avoid it.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
It's not "your Facebook." You're nothing but a source of ad revenue for predatory companies and other entities.
Sigh. I'm keeping MY FACEBOOK ACCOUNT. Better?

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 02-08-2018, 10:00 AM

11,090 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Facebook is stupid. It started off good in the early years, but has gone downhill for along time now. Jim Carrey's comments are true and important, but besides that, it's mostly devolved into a celebration of vanity (look at my/our perfect life), and promoting idiocy and extremist politics.

I shudder to think of all the data that's collected, and how it's shared with unknown others. I can't stand seeing the damn Ruckerberg ads(?) trying to get me to accept him as a friend. I keep deleting them, and the twisted smiling guy keeps reappearing. I still have an active account - just in case an old friend might contact me - but thankfully rarely get on the dumb site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities