Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 07:10 AM

7,237 posts, read 4,546,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Plenty of older actresses get work. The reason she can't get work is no one wants to sink millions into producing a show that hinges on whether or not she's going to be dependable and show up for work, or be a drug addled unstable mess.
Older actresses get work playing mom... not the vixen of a soap. She is puffy and addled trying to reclaim her youth, it is sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 10:27 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Older actresses get work playing mom... not the vixen of a soap.
Work is work. They still need to be dependable. They don't want to have to figure out what to do with a character when the actress has to go into rehab halfway through producing a season.

Old 01-20-2020, 07:01 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Plenty of older actresses get work. The reason she can't get work is no one wants to sink millions into producing a show that hinges on whether or not she's going to be dependable and show up for work, or be a drug addled unstable mess.
This is correct. She has not been a steady working actress, instead getting press for the substance abuse. She can get clean though and do smaller independant roles. This will give her credibility again and look good on her work history, and directors of larger tv shows and films might give her a chance.

Hopefully she can pull though. If not she will wind up like Andy Dick living in a shed at best, or dying early at worst.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:12 PM

795 posts, read 482,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Second reboot. They tried it in 2009 and lasted one season.

I think the 2009 version didn't work because nobody really cared about all the new characters and actors story lines lol.

Hopefully this reboot includes all the CLASSIC cast as the main characters 'Older Melrose' or something: Doug Savant and Laura Leighton, Josie Bissett, Andrew Shue, Grant Show, Daphne Zuniga, Heather Locklear, Thomas Calabro, Marcia Cross, and especially (my all time favorite) Courtney Thorne-Smith <3. I also liked Kelly Rutherford and Brooke Langton too, they would be cool to have on the new version. I care more about seeing these folks again rather than some new actors being wannabe Melrose 3.0.

Edit: I hope Heather stays on the healthy track now! We're pulling for you Heather!!

Old 06-23-2020, 08:35 AM

6,976 posts, read 2,701,111 times
Quote:
Older actresses get work playing mom... not the vixen of a soap. She is puffy and addled trying to reclaim her youth, it is sad.
She ain't no Joan Collins.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:48 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,069 times
My first cousin shared a cul-de-sac with Heather and Tommy Lee 25 years ago in Woodland Hills. She and Heather were about the same age at the time.

Someone was up all night, and it was like they never slept. But a limo would arrive early mornings to take Heather to The Studio. Ozzy Osborne often hung around with Tommy.

My cousin and her husband just loved Tommy Lee. They didn't care at all for Heather.

Old 06-30-2020, 08:45 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
My first cousin shared a cul-de-sac with Heather and Tommy Lee 25 years ago in Woodland Hills. She and Heather were about the same age at the time.

Someone was up all night, and it was like they never slept. But a limo would arrive early mornings to take Heather to The Studio. Ozzy Osborne often hung around with Tommy.

My cousin and her husband just loved Tommy Lee. They didn't care at all for Heather.
My wife used to frequent the same Starbucks as Tommy and ran into him often; she says he was a nice guy and a gentleman and used to hold the door for her.

Old 07-05-2023, 05:45 PM

8,041 posts, read 10,632,364 times
Quote:
Heather... the reason you can't get work is because you are old.
I agree, but Harrison Ford is still getting work at 80. Robert Downey Jr. and Keanu Reeves are just three years apart from Heather Locklear. Tom Cruise is Heather's age. James Spader has had tremendous success on The Blacklist and he is 63. Technically, they are of the same generation. Apparently, no one thinks Robert or Keanu or Tom or James are too old to get work.

I think it has more to do with talent, but also society accepts older men in roles they would never accept women of the same age group in.

We need stong roles for older women. I believe there is a market for that that is largely untapped.

Heather's curse is that all of the roles she has had depended on her youthful beauty as her main component, which she no longer possesses.

Old 07-05-2023, 07:37 PM

1,824 posts, read 800,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I agree, but Harrison Ford is still getting work at 80. Robert Downey Jr. and Keanu Reeves are just three years apart from Heather Locklear. Tom Cruise is Heather's age. James Spader has had tremendous success on The Blacklist and he is 63. Technically, they are of the same generation. Apparently, no one thinks Robert or Keanu or Tom or James are too old to get work.

I think it has more to do with talent, but also society accepts older men in roles they would never accept women of the same age group in.

We need strong roles for older women. I believe there is a market for that that is largely untapped.

Heather's curse is that all of the roles she has had depended on her youthful beauty as her main component, which she no longer possesses.
+1. The disparity between male and female still exists. Unfortunately, it probably always will.

Old 07-06-2023, 06:37 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post

We need stong roles for older women. I believe there is a market for that that is largely untapped.

I do believe that is heavily weighted in favor of men, but I wouldn't go so far as to say society would never accept women of the same age group. Jane Fonda's career is doing pretty well with a recent Netflix series and multiple movies celebrating her age (particularly the Book Club movie and sequel and "80 for Brady"), not to mention her recent co-stars Diane Keaton, Candice Bergen, Mary Steenburgen, Lily Tomlin, Rita Moreno, and Sally Field. Then you've got actresses like Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore, Emma Thompson, Jamie Lee Curtis, Helen Mirren, and Michelle Yeoh, all of whom continue to do very well for themselves and don't seem to have any trouble getting work (and even Oscars).

In this case, I think it's just a matter of HL just being recognized for her beauty, but not possessing significant talent. It seems to be a question of chicken or egg ... did she fall into drugs/alcohol because she stopped being recognized for her beauty, or did her beauty fade because she fell into drugs/alcohol? I personally believe it to be the latter. Once her beauty began to fade AND she were known for being unreliable, that's what made it hard for her to get work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities