Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 01:10 PM

6,618 posts, read 4,917,521 times

Advertisements

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...170022927.html

People who have long-term major addictions to drugs can get clean, but I cynically say that ultimately they'll probably die as a result of the drug use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 02:20 AM

19,468 posts, read 15,329,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
perry was obviously and admittedly clinically depressed for decades. he used alcohol and drugs to try to self medicate most of his life. he tried dozens and dozens of times to get professional help for his depression and to stop the drug use. the man tried so many times and was a very strong person to never give up the hope of being cured of his mental anguish.

tragically, the brain disease of depression killed him.

i feel very sorry for perry. his malfunctioning brain chemistry wasn't his fault....
Your post just about brought me to tears.

It's just horrible that he spent his whole adult life fighting against this horrible condition, this horrible monster.

I keep saying to my SO that I don't care about the details of how he died. Whether he died sober and it was a horrible accident, or he relapsed and it caused his death. I just don't care what the details are. He went through what he went through and was putting forth his best efforts. I just hope he has found some peace. I really do.

Old 12-18-2023, 07:51 AM

6,880 posts, read 4,331,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...170022927.html

People who have long-term major addictions to drugs can get clean, but I cynically say that ultimately they'll probably die as a result of the drug use.

When I was just out of high school, I had a girlfriend whose dad was said to have completed the 12 steps and the family would talk about how he overcame alcoholism and was X years sober and all that jazz. We'd occasionally drive places together, like he'd pick me up or we'd run to the store to grab something, and when I'd get in his car (which only he drove as it was his 'toy' sports car), it'd just totally reek of booze. Because it was one of the only spaces that his family would normally not be in, it probably was his boozing refuge.

Apparently the guy had been a violent drunk, which caused a lot of drama in that household, and the wife only stayed with him because he promised he'd get help and change. From what I could tell he no longer was being violent, and he was a pretty mellow and agreeable guy with me...so even though he was drinking still he may have still improved otherwise. I didn't think it was my place to insert myself into their issues and stir up the ghosts of the past.

But it was kind of an eye opener for me regarding addiction (growing up in my family people didn't really drink, smoke or do drugs). It's not that I think it's impossible to overcome it, but thinking of that guy is a constant reminder that it's a permanent struggle and 'getting help' and going through rehab and so forth are often are just temporary victories. So whenever I hear stories of people 'beating' addiction, I'm always like 'good for them', but also if I hear/read about a relapse I'm not surprised at all.

Old 12-18-2023, 09:17 AM

1,098 posts, read 607,201 times
Reading his autopsy (which I so regret of doing) is really heartbreaking.

The years of drug abuse, alcohol abuse and heavy smoking really did a lot of damaging on his otherwise normally developed body.

Addiction is a disease, I wouldn’t cast any judgement unless I walk in their shoes.

Some of them are genetic, some came from early childhood trauma (including sexual abuse) and some self-medicate because of the stigma we as a society place on the struggles of mental issues. (I won’t say illness.)

I lost a friend in 2020, brilliant writer, sharp, lovely mind with the best sense of humor. Been struggling with depression since she was a teenager. Her family and close friends (I was there trying to help her move to NYC which she eventually did, but even that didn’t help.) as well as many great hospital stays (Johns Hopkins) couldn’t save her. She self-medicated and eventually killer herself. Only 28 yrs old.

I would not cast judgement on Matthew Perry. Fame and fortune are not end all be all to many people, especially if they were born sensitive and vulnerable to substance abuse. He was a brilliant comedian with excellent timing and delivery. (in an otherwise “cute” sit-com that may have resonated to the mainstream but objectively was good for maybe 3 seasons. He was a stand-out, Chandler Bing was the Greek Chorus who would call out on anything overly saccharine and cheesy.)-also by all accounts a very likable, kind man.

I hope he truly had peace at the end.

Last edited by achtung baby; 12-18-2023 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: Typos

Old 12-19-2023, 09:44 AM

I think a big problem in Matthew Perry's head is he had to come across as doing well. Even in the wake of that book, he was hiding a problem. On a level, the misguided point of the book was, I've overcome so much. It's a harmful, very cultural attitude.

Old 12-29-2023, 12:08 PM

8,376 posts, read 13,528,245 times
First Luke Perry, then Matthew Perry.

I can't help but wonder if the surname has something to do with it?

Old 12-29-2023, 01:30 PM

23,496 posts, read 19,198,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
First Luke Perry, then Matthew Perry.

I can't help but wonder if the surname has something to do with it?
Something to do with what? Everyone dies, regardless of name tag. Think about all the family/surnames that exist on the planet. Millions share the same name but have nothing in common other than being humans. Every single one of them will die of something eventually.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-29-2023 at 02:05 PM..

Old 12-30-2023, 05:08 PM

32,035 posts, read 27,248,802 times
Poor bas**rd. Twenty million per year for doing nothing (residual income from "Friends") and he couldn't sort himself out. Just goes to show that old adage about money not buying happiness and contentment...

At one point late Matt Perry was spending nine million ($9 million) USD per year on drugs. That's totally insane. His dealers must have sent him Christmas hampers or some such gifts as a loyal and frequent customer.

Sad thing is Mr. Perry effed his body by taking all those drugs. You don't do fifty-five (55) Vicodin tabs per day for any period of time without causing damage to body.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/entertai...ance-scenarios

Old 01-10-2024, 05:00 PM

According to this, he wasn't in general control of himself even around the time the book came out.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...192540394.html

Old 01-11-2024, 12:42 AM

32,035 posts, read 27,248,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
According to this, he wasn't in general control of himself even around the time the book came out.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...192540394.html
Am not a huge fan of persons slagging the dead who aren't around to defend themselves.

Truth will out I suppose, but still at this point does it truly matter?

https://nypost.com/2024/01/10/entert...briety-report/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities