Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 04:58 PM

27,146 posts, read 13,434,325 times

Advertisements

Matthew Perry was laid to rest today at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Los Angeles, which is close to the studios where the series 'Friends' was filmed.

'Don't Give Up' by Peter Gabriel and featuring Kate Bush was played at the Funeral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjEq-r2agqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Mail (4th November 2023)

Matthew Perry's family and friends were left in tears after an emotional Peter Gabriel song which has long inspired people struggling with addiction was played as the closing note to his funeral, which was attended by his Friends co-stars.

Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow, Courteney Cox, David Schwimmer, and Matt LeBlanc all dressed in black suits and looked sombre as they prepared to say their last goodbyes to Perry at Forest Lawn cemetery in Los Angeles in a private ceremony.

As the funeral drew to a close, a rendition of Peter Gabriel's Don't Give Up was played, which includes the lyrics: 'No fight left or so it seems, I am a man whose dreams have all deserted, I've changed my face, I've changed my name, But no one wants you when you lose.'

Perry, 54, who spoke openly about his lifelong battle with alcohol and drug addiction, was found dead in a hot tub at his Los Angeles home last Saturday. Those close to him said he had been sober and doing well shortly before his passing.

His tearful mother Suzanne Morrison, 84, and Dateline journalist stepfather Keith, 76, were both at the private event, as was his father John Perry, 82. Keith Morrison was one of the pallbearers.

Contd....

Matthew Perry's family and Friends co-stars were reduced to tears by emotional Peter Gabriel song at funeral - Daily Mail (4th November 2023)

Matthew Perry buried in private ceremony, US media reports - BBC News (4th November 2023)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2023, 06:53 PM

500 posts, read 359,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
That's too bad-he meant a lot to millions of people. I felt the same way when Gordon Lightfoot and Lance Reddick died. I can't really explain it, but sometimes just the presence of a celebrity has a way of providing comfort and stability and when they're gone it can be an adjustment.
Tom Petty's death still gnaws at my psyche.

Old 11-05-2023, 01:12 PM

16,415 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I'm surprised that Robert Downey Jr. is still around.

Not just around, but seemingly thriving. He's definitely a testament to being able to come back from addiction and turn your life around.

Old 11-05-2023, 03:40 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,762,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Not just around, but seemingly thriving. He's definitely a testament to being able to come back from addiction and turn your life around.
Oh, that's nice to hear. People were so ready to write him off. Glad he turned himself around. It's inspiring.

Old 11-07-2023, 10:44 AM

381 posts, read 170,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Speculation is a medication he was taking to avoid a relapse carries a warning to not use a hot tub while taking the med as the heat can cause one to pass out or other such dangers.
everything I've read is that if he passed out the body's automatic response would've jolted him back awake because of the water.

Old 11-09-2023, 09:04 AM

27,146 posts, read 13,434,325 times
The song 'Don't Give Up' was a favourite of Perry's, and he even signed copies of his book with the words 'Don't Give Up'.

Perry also stated that the song should be the soundtrack to his memoir, Friends, Lovers and the Big Terrible Thing, when asked by interviewer Tom Power, in one of Perry's last ever interviews.

Perry also made it known that he would like to be remembered for his work in relation to helping others with substance abuse, and not just for his acting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Magazine (November 2023)

Matthew Perry's funeral song has devastating backstory: Star's heartbreaking words about Don't Give Up

The Friends star revealed what the song meant to him in one of his last interviews

In one of his last interviews before his untimely death aged 54, Matthew spoke to Tom Power at the Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema in Toronto on November 22, 2022, where he opened up about the song and why it was close to his heart.

Tragically just a year before his death, Matthew had been asked by Tom what the soundtrack to his memoir, Friends, Lovers and the Big Terrible Thing, would be.

Without hesitating, Matthew replied: "'Don't Give Up'. Listen to this song when you get home, Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush. I don't know if you've heard it as it was a long time ago but it's beautiful.

"They are saying 'Don't give up.' I mean, come on, how am I not going to like that? The music video was just them hugging each other and the camera just went around until the song ended. It was so cool and I loved that. When I sign [my] book, I always put 'Don't give up' there, because you shouldn't give up."

Matthew Perry's funeral song has devastating backstory: Star's heartbreaking words about Don't Give Up - Hello Magazine (November 2023)

Old 11-11-2023, 01:55 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The song 'Don't Give Up' was a favourite of Perry's, and he even signed copies of his book with the words 'Don't Give Up'.

Perry also stated that the song should be the soundtrack to his memoir, Friends, Lovers and the Big Terrible Thing, when asked by interviewer Tom Power, in one of Perry's last ever interviews.

Perry also made it known that he would like to be remembered for his work in relation to helping others with substance abuse, and not just for his acting.
Great post, I'm so touched by that song and video. It breaks my heart that this is the song Matthew thought of immediately, because he tried so hard not to. Addiction is devastating and I understand his struggle.

Old 11-12-2023, 08:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
I did it - I bought his memoir. I'll let this thread know if it's any good. RIP, Matthew Perry.

Old 11-23-2023, 08:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
It was not earthshattering but it definitely kept my attention! I liked it a lot. It was a very interesting look into the mind of an addict,

Old 11-27-2023, 10:26 AM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSOFFLine View Post
everything I've read is that if he passed out the body's automatic response would've jolted him back awake because of the water.
John Travolta's son, Jett, slipped in the bathtub causing him to hit his head, have a seizure and drown. I suppose that something similar could have happened to Matt but I believe that in his case some sort of cardiac event is suspected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities