Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:33 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,347,939 times

Advertisements

Making a big deal out of this is simply ridiculous. Pot is so much less harmful than alcohol, which was advertised every single commercial break during the super bowl, and it's about time we just give up the BS and accept the fact that prohibition is useless. World-Class athletes smoke it (Iverson, Ricky Williams, Michael Phelps), our founding fathers smoked it (Jefferson and Washington), Billionaires smoke it (Branson), doctors, lawyers, teachers and executives all smoke it. Why waste billions policing it while we're in a recession, when we could be taxing it and creating thousands of tax-paying jobs?

As long as we're advertising Budweiser every 10 minutes during the Super Bowl, the hypocrisy of this "outrage" about Michael Phelps smoking a little weed at a party is simply pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 10:47 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Am I the last person in America who has not and does not smoke weed? It appears that everyone is not only ok with dolphin butterface sucking on a bong but are practically patting him on the back with a "way to go" thumbs-up

Just a kid - is part of being a kid doing dope?

Old 02-03-2009, 10:52 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,513,781 times
I think its just that most people know its not really a big deal. That almost 1/2 of the population smokes it (whether that be once a year, every night after work, just on weekends, whatever)

Many great and many dumb people have smoked it. The herb itself has no bearing on which one you are.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:21 AM

2,751 posts, read 5,361,986 times
Am I the only one who is sick to death of the hypocrisy in this country? From what I have seen a 23 year old smoking pot, drinking, partying, trying to get laid is as American as friggin' John Wayne. Why do we want to hold athletes to a higher standard than everybody else? What Michael Phelps can do in a pool nobody can do, isn't that enough? Celebrity has become a curse in this country, not a blessing. And as far as his endorsement deals, I think what these sponsors would find, if they could get beyond their cowardice is that far fewer Americans give a damn if this guy is getting high than they think. If they want to be stupid enough to put someone, anyone on a pedestal in the first place, then it's just too bad when they are exposed to be, oh my God, dare I say it... Human!

Where did all these perfect people come from, and where have they been hiding their heads? I am eduacted, with a graduate degree no less. I have been working hard since I'm twelve years old. I worked my way through an undergraduate and graduate degree, and after my sophomore year, never got a "C". All through it, not continuously but consistently, I partied and all that that meant. Today I'm a responsible father, husband, business owner and citizen. I vote in every election, and guess what, I study the issues before I do so. I treat everyone with respect until they prove unworthy of that respect, isn't that enough? If not I'd like to hold a magnifying glass to your lives. People that want to sit back and judge, criticize and pick apart other human beings, in my experience, lead lives that are anything but exemplary, have characters which are far from ideal or even admirable. Damn, are we so focused on chickensh*t issues because important ones are so far beyond are grasp and resolve? Our stamina?

And to those of you who would hide behind the legal status of pot, the illegal status rather, I say wake up. Are you really that naive to believe that legality and morality, in these days of PAC's and backroom deals, hidden agendas and blatant corruption, not to mention the privatization of our prison system (that's right folks, there's big bucks in sending millions of young men to prison every year), has anything to do with right and wrong anymore? If you still believe pot should be illegal, and I would assume that is what's behind your outrage, ask yourself one final question... Of all the thousands of people that are killed on our highways and freeways every year, how many do you think are as a result of marijuana use? Ok. Now ask yourself the same question about alcohol. And please don't give me that 'gateway drug' nonsense. You wanna know what the real gateway drug is, the original gateway drug? Beer. Give it a rest already. Everybody just take care of themselves and their own.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:16 PM

91 posts, read 226,103 times
It's real hard to have ANY empathy for major corporations these days OR take their ideas of "morality" very seriously.

IMO, they'd be stupid to make a big issue out of this & should maybe just have him make a public statement and then carry on as if it never happened.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:16 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
I guess we now know why he would eat 36 hamburgers and 50 pancakes each day. Now it all makes sense.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:33 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
When I was a kid I didn't do bong hits. Am I the last person in this country who isn't on something?
After watching my uncles getting stoned and stupid in the 70s I decided to never do illegal drugs. Didn't even put a cigarette in my mouth. Did drink some from 1991 (after returning from Desert Storm) till 1995. Don't drink anymore. Didn't get out of hand,...just quit.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:46 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Many of us who've never done illegal drugs each have our own reasons for never doing so. Mine is watching my uncles ruin their lives through using various illegal drugs. They're in their late 50s are are only now just starting to clean up and try to get their reputation clean with the people they use to work for in their industry. One of the four uncles still hasn't given up his ways and still lives in his parents home(the home his parents died in). Another reason is personal morals. Each person must decide for his or herself what morals they will live by. I don't think pot should be illegal but I will not intentionally break the law simply because I disagree with the law. If you feel a law is wrong then work to repeal or change the law. Something else that was stupid about him using pot and getting caught is it could effect future employment opportunities. High schools and colleges would love to hire a gold medal swimmer as their swim team coach. But whether or not they hire him depends on his future actions following the photo and school board regulations regarding illegal drugs. It may also be impacted if he is convicted for the drug use and has a criminal record. Public school boards frown upon this. They may waive this in order to attract swim team champs but that would depend on the parents' willingness to forgive and live and let live attitude. He may well not have a problem finding a coaching job but it does have the potential to impact where he teaches and his relations with his students and their parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
Am I the only one who is sick to death of the hypocrisy in this country? From what I have seen a 23 year old smoking pot, drinking, partying, trying to get laid is as American as friggin' John Wayne. Why do we want to hold athletes to a higher standard than everybody else? What Michael Phelps can do in a pool nobody can do, isn't that enough? Celebrity has become a curse in this country, not a blessing. And as far as his endorsement deals, I think what these sponsors would find, if they could get beyond their cowardice is that far fewer Americans give a damn if this guy is getting high than they think. If they want to be stupid enough to put someone, anyone on a pedestal in the first place, then it's just too bad when they are exposed to be, oh my God, dare I say it... Human!

Where did all these perfect people come from, and where have they been hiding their heads? I am eduacted, with a graduate degree no less. I have been working hard since I'm twelve years old. I worked my way through an undergraduate and graduate degree, and after my sophomore year, never got a "C". All through it, not continuously but consistently, I partied and all that that meant. Today I'm a responsible father, husband, business owner and citizen. I vote in every election, and guess what, I study the issues before I do so. I treat everyone with respect until they prove unworthy of that respect, isn't that enough? If not I'd like to hold a magnifying glass to your lives. People that want to sit back and judge, criticize and pick apart other human beings, in my experience, lead lives that are anything but exemplary, have characters which are far from ideal or even admirable. Damn, are we so focused on chickensh*t issues because important ones are so far beyond are grasp and resolve? Our stamina?

And to those of you who would hide behind the legal status of pot, the illegal status rather, I say wake up. Are you really that naive to believe that legality and morality, in these days of PAC's and backroom deals, hidden agendas and blatant corruption, not to mention the privatization of our prison system (that's right folks, there's big bucks in sending millions of young men to prison every year), has anything to do with right and wrong anymore? If you still believe pot should be illegal, and I would assume that is what's behind your outrage, ask yourself one final question... Of all the thousands of people that are killed on our highways and freeways every year, how many do you think are as a result of marijuana use? Ok. Now ask yourself the same question about alcohol. And please don't give me that 'gateway drug' nonsense. You wanna know what the real gateway drug is, the original gateway drug? Beer. Give it a rest already. Everybody just take care of themselves and their own.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:10 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
and yet if he were photographed drinking a beer nothing would be said. It's ridiculous. I find drinking irresponsible in most instances and never attractive. And I despise-despise seeing a woman drinking beer from a can. But that's just me.
I can't stand being around someone drinking alcoholic beverages.
Alcohol was once illegal too, remember; as pot is now and always will be.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:15 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Well, that's strike 2 for Phelps. I, personally, think they should give the KID a break ... pot smoking, who cares??? If I were a corporate sponsor, it wouldn't keep me from signing him up. His DUI is much more serious.

Shows you what a bubble he lives in and it's really too bad for him.

Usain Bolt hasn't been caught doing anything yet ... hey sponsors, go after him now! I was more impressed by him anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities