Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 10:16 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,305,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
Weed is not that big a deal, it's not like he's tying up his arm with a tourniquet and stabbing himself with needles- It's only pot ... Sheesh! Alcohol is 10x more deadly and it's a drug- they should legalize it already for crying out loud !!! I still know plenty of people that smoke once in a while- They aren't habitual users, but 2-3x a year is not that big a deal in my book. People get hammered and drive alot more.
While I admire Phelps greatly for his superhuman accomplishments, I don't envy his post 08' Olympic life and that fact that he lives under a virtual microscope. Sure..He did something that "could" tarnish his reputation, but it certainly won't inflict permanent or recurring damage. The guy will never hurt for money again and his name alone will generate him a healthy income for the rest of his life. However, he will constantly live in a public fishbowl and in light of this incident, his every move now will be watched, analyzed and sadly, documented. Who wants to live like that?

I mean, it seems to appear he can't do anything without it becoming front page news. The man has a drink at a bar and it's a big deal. In my local area (York/Baltimore) the buzz about Phelp's transgression is going into overkill. For heaven's sakes..I did some pot a few times when I was younger. I regret doing it for my own personal reasons, but I'm not going to condemn or stand in judgement of those who do. And no, it didn't wreck my life. In fact, i've seen more lives destroyed by abuse of alcohol than pot, but that's a whole 'nother topic.

To those who judge him, I would get over it. It's quite evident that he has.

Last edited by Gil3; 02-05-2009 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 11:55 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
To those who judge him, I would get over it. It's quite evident that he has.
Agree. It's the pathetic worthless wonder which passes for "news" these days which even keeps him in the "news". (Unfortunately, my family still watches the evening "news" and I can't mute it from other rooms; have heard about him in the "top stories")

Wonder how long Babe Ruth would have survived in this climate?

Back in his day, though, actual news journalism existed and took precedent. Celebrities would have to concoct romances between themselves just for some extra PR and photo-ops for the Glamour magazines...

I may be in the minority but I feel for famous folks. Yeah they're rich, but imagine how we feel when our co-workers gossip and assume abut every nosey thing...

I'd like to see the day when a big computer screen replaces the Boobed Tube in living rooms.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:01 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,260 times
i'm so tired of people talking about him making a mistake. he's an adult and he decided that he wanted to smoke a joint. this is supposedly a free country, perhaps we should behave like it is sometimes then.

what about the children then? $%&* the children! i have mine and i look after them just fine. while they're young i'll try and limit their exposure and when they reach the age where they become curious i'll be honest with them and educate them on the dangers. i have no interest in what you do with your kids, they're not my problem.

if phelps loses his sponsorship that's for his sponsors to decide. i wasn't influenced by his endorsments be they good or bad and i wouldn't boycott anyone because their marketing people used someone who smokes weed.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:01 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
Agree. It's the pathetic worthless wonder which passes for "news" these days which even keeps him in the "news". (Unfortunately, my family still watches the evening "news" and I can't mute it from other rooms; have heard about him in the "top stories")

Wonder how long Babe Ruth would have survived in this climate?

Back in his day, though, actual news journalism existed and took precedent. Celebrities would have to concoct romances between themselves just for some extra PR and photo-ops for the Glamour magazines...

I may be in the minority but I feel for famous folks. Yeah they're rich, but imagine how we feel when our co-workers gossip and assume abut every nosey thing...

I'd like to see the day when a big computer screen replaces the Boobed Tube in living rooms.
Agreed..With all of the turmoil in the world and our economy going down the crapper each day, it's amazing how much airtime has been devoted to this.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:06 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette-dude View Post
Who cares? Probably the companies that are sponsoring him for millions of millions , can you say "bling bling".... but also hey just because he swims as though he's a fish and won 8 gold medals for our country, he is human and makes mistakes., we all have or will....

even if someone does care they shouldn't be able to infringe on his right to smoke a joint if he wants to! for those who do care, they're welcome to boycott the products he endorses and the sponsors are probably contractually able to withdraw their spoonsorship if they want to. we might be moving rapidly into a fascist state but for now it's still a free country, sort of!

Old 02-05-2009, 12:14 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,161,463 times
58robbo, I enjoy your posts.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:08 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,295,747 times
Drugs of any kind are absolutely TABOO in the Olympics. Yes, some Olympians still abuse that taboo, but you've all seen what happens when they're caught (usually stripped of their medals). Michael Phelps is still associated with the Olympics, which means that ALL eyes will be on him until his days of competition are done. I'm sure he's been well-aware of the risk he was taking, but he's found out the hard way that, yes, "all those eyes" will catch him in action.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:19 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,203,678 times
Actions have consequences. A tough lesson and this one has cost him beaucoup $$$$$

Old 02-05-2009, 07:24 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times
He had the choice to represent different corporations and thus earn a lot of money. By doing that he knows he has to maintain a certain image that middle America finds acceptable. By making the decision to smoke pot he may not only lose those endorsements and money, but also lose some fans and respect. Like said before, you make the choice, you live with the consequences.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:27 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
i'm so tired of people talking about him making a mistake. he's an adult and he decided that he wanted to smoke a joint. this is supposedly a free country, perhaps we should behave like it is sometimes then.

WHAT? I don't get this AT ALL.
Yes, it is a free country. People are not free to break the law. If you choose to make a choice that breaks a law, and you are caught, you have consequences, whether those consequences are handed down through the law, your employer, or an organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities