Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:23 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,820,339 times

Advertisements

As someone who is filled with hatred towards men who batter women (as well as the women who love them) I wish this would destroy both of their careers. I just might get my wish. Even if Chris Brown doesn't do prison time (which is a real shame, it just goes to show how barbaric our culture is), I would be surprised if he can recover from this. He will hopefully become a modern day Ike Turner, the only "hits" he'll be known for will be his punches not his music.

I was a Rihanna fan until this incident, I liked every song she released, but I just can't think of her the same way, especially because she wants her abuser back. She is an extremely poor example to her young female fans, she is setting women back to the stoneage. Although most are focusing on Brown's career, I do think Rihanna will slowly fade from here as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 07:20 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,298,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
The 'spotlight' might have a bit to do with how events play out in that relationship (I can't believe I'm wasting my time on this nonsense, but it's cold outside and I'm bored )

Should Rhi-what's-er-face-name-that-I-forgot-how-to-spell not go back because of the way what's-'is-name treated her, she brands him as a true hip-hop thug. From what I've read, he has been described as the exact opposite. "Polite, shy, family-oriented" seem to be words most bandied about. But, also, if Rhi-whatever does an Oprah-thing and portrays herself as a victim, there will probably be some in the industry who label her as "angry black woman" as a backlash to the damage she'll do to the profitable music machine that is Brown. I'll bet most of this is being handled behind the scenes, around boardroom tables, with instructions to both on how to get past this while also saving their careers (probably the priority to their handlers).

Bloggers have had their say; Anderson Cooper just the latest
Anderson Cooper 360: Blog Archive - Rihanna: Role model? « - Blogs from CNN.com
I thought the comments after the blog were interesting.
I agree with all you wrote. I bet that his record company is doing everything possible to keep them together. Some will see that as, oh he's not so bad if she took him back. I wouldn't be surprised if she got a big check out of the whole deal.

As of right now I don't care about either of them. Never liked him anyway- I did like her but not anymore. They are probably riding high off of a Romeo and juliet type of relationship and eventually they'll break up anyway. Hopefully for her sake she won't end up in the ER again.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:49 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,371,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
As someone who is filled with hatred towards men who batter women (as well as the women who love them) I wish this would destroy both of their careers. I just might get my wish. Even if Chris Brown doesn't do prison time (which is a real shame, it just goes to show how barbaric our culture is),
The reality of the the situation - star status aside - is that most men do not go to prison for first charge domestic batteries. At most they'll get time in a county jailhouse but I doubt prison, with CB and his lawyers he'll probably get probation if found guilty, pay a fine and have to do community service.

It's so funny how biased people are when it comes to this - all the outrage over this and wanting the system to make an example out of him and not wanting to get off because he's a start - when the fact that he's a star is the whole reason this even made national news. Had Chris & Rihanna just been two people that no one ever heard of this story would have only made local news, that is if there's no rapes, murders, or fatal car crashes that day.

I don't want either of their careers to be ruined by this. I would hope both of them seek help so they can overcome their issues with anger and violence but more than that i hope it reminds people that just because they're celebs they're still human and still have emotions and still make mistakes. I find it disgusting that women are actually forbidding their daughters to listen to Rihanna because she's a poor role model for young girls; she's not supposed to be a role model. She's an entertainer - your children need to learn proper behavior from home not from someone they see on MTV.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:48 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
The reality of the the situation - star status aside - is that most men do not go to prison for first charge domestic batteries. At most they'll get time in a county jailhouse but I doubt prison, with CB and his lawyers he'll probably get probation if found guilty, pay a fine and have to do community service.

It's so funny how biased people are when it comes to this - all the outrage over this and wanting the system to make an example out of him and not wanting to get off because he's a start - when the fact that he's a star is the whole reason this even made national news. Had Chris & Rihanna just been two people that no one ever heard of this story would have only made local news, that is if there's no rapes, murders, or fatal car crashes that day.

I don't want either of their careers to be ruined by this. I would hope both of them seek help so they can overcome their issues with anger and violence but more than that i hope it reminds people that just because they're celebs they're still human and still have emotions and still make mistakes. I find it disgusting that women are actually forbidding their daughters to listen to Rihanna because she's a poor role model for young girls; she's not supposed to be a role model. She's an entertainer - your children need to learn proper behavior from home not from someone they see on MTV.
This post is on point

Old 03-09-2009, 11:23 PM

I am inspired to learn there are mothers who forbid their daughters to listen to Rihanna, It gives me comfort to know I am not the only one who has strong feelings against abusive males and the women who return to them. I certainly am outraged by the non-celebrity everyday people who practice this behavior. The reason this IS bigger is because of the INFLUENCE.

When you are an celebrity who has a large following among young people you are not just an entertainer you are a role model. If Rihanna would have done the right thing and pressed charges against Chris Brown and dumped him she would have had a tremendous influence on her young female fans. She would lead by example and show the world that it is unacceptable for a man to beat his girlfriend to a pulp. Then the new generation of young women wll chose sensitive, kind, non-abusive gentlemen to have relations with. Instead young women will seek out the dominant type of man who is controlling and abusive, they will stick with them no matter what because Rihanna has cemented the status-quo.

It's a shame, I have been against men beating women from before Chris Brown and Rihanna were even born. I used to think we would advance to the point where women would have nothing to do with the abusive type. Now I have given up the dream, although hearing about those mothers gives me a glimmer of hope.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:16 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,371,678 times
Quote:
I am inspired to learn there are mothers who forbid their daughters to listen to Rihanna, It gives me comfort to know I am not the only one who has strong feelings against abusive males and the women who return to them. I certainly am outraged by the non-celebrity everyday people who practice this behavior. The reason this IS bigger is because of the INFLUENCE.
I think it's a parenting cop out. Yes, entertainers do have influence over young impressionable kids - so if that's the case than you sit down and talk with your child about domestic violence and you find out your child thoughts and you answer your child's questions.

Quote:
Then the new generation of young women wll chose sensitive, kind, non-abusive gentlemen to have relations with. Instead young women will seek out the dominant type of man who is controlling and abusive, they will stick with them no matter what because Rihanna has cemented the status-quo.
If the new generation of young women are going to start basing their personal life choices on the actions of someone they know nothing about except what the see on TMZ and read in People magazine then I weep for that generation. If that's the case then I guess they'll also drive drunk because of Paris Hilton's influence. Or use cocaine because of Lindsay Lohan's influence. If you raise your child in a stable home where violence is not an issue - explain to me how listening to Umbrella is going to make her seek out an abusive relationship?

Please this is the problem with America today - we allow strangers to become our childrens role models because we're too busy paying bills, then we want to ***** because said role models are setting a poor example for our children.

Quote:
although hearing about those mothers gives me a glimmer of hope.
I think these mother's need to be kicked in the head. Not one of them said "I sat down with my daughter and talked to her about domestic violence. I wanted to make sure that she understands that it's never okay for someone to put their hands on you. I want her to know she can always talk to me if someone is hurting her."

One mother admitted she'd never even listened to Rihanna's music but "is disgusted by her personality" By just forbidding them to listen to her music, all they've done is create a rule - and we all know how well young kids follow rules -, taught their kids how to be judgmental and created the possibility that if their daughter ever does get in a situation like this, she probably wouldn't tell because she remembers her mothers dramatic overreaction to this incident

Old 03-10-2009, 01:19 PM

I take back my praise to the mothers if they did not discuss domestic violence with their daughters. If they just said you can't listen to Rihanna anymore that is useless and confusing.

Instead the mothers should have shown a picture of Rihannas face to their daughters. They should have said "Honey look at her face, look how badly she was beaten..did you know she approves of this beating? She even wants to get back together with the man who did this to her. Domestc violence is a serious problem. I never want you to be treated like this. I just don't want you listening to recording artists who support women getting beaten. She is setting back all the progress women have made through the years, she is sending civilization back to the caveman era and I just don't want you to be a part of it. Now if she comes around and rejects Chris Brown and speaks out against violence against women you may listen to her music again".

A lecture like that would be more effective than just saying not to listen. I admit it's hard for me not to listen. Her music sounds like ear candy to me, but then I think of her beaten face and how she never pressed any charges, As Rihanna sings it's "Disturbia".

Old 03-10-2009, 01:25 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Even if Chris Brown doesn't do prison time (which is a real shame, it just goes to show how barbaric our culture is), I would be surprised if he can recover from this.
R. Kelly likes to pee on and molest under age girls....heck they had a skit making fun of that on Chappelle's show.

There are rappers KNOWN to have been involved in murders and that actually gives them "street cred".

If you fan-base is scum it won't matter WHAT you do.

That being said, I would probably not like some of the musicians I enjoy if I got to know them. <shrug>

Old 03-10-2009, 02:02 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,161,463 times
I read that Oprah () is getting as much attention as she can from this(as usual) by encouraging the couple to get counseling......blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda................like everyone isn't telling them. Like they don't have a support system of their own without Miss Let Me Tell You How To Fix This butting in.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:44 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
I saw some of Oprah's show today featuring 'Domestic Violence'. I suppose it might 'reach' a few but I don't know that the underlying problems will be resolved in this century.

Don't waste your time on a jerk. That is all the advice I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities