Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 09:09 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,838,690 times

Advertisements

I took the loss of Marilyn Monroe real bad and now I'm very sad about Gale Storm. But the difference is Gale lived a full life and Marilyn cut herself short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 09:18 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,240,810 times
Celeb obsession is a symptom of our shallow, simple minded, obese, self indulgent cult-of-the-personality culture.

Every year 15 million children die of hunger. Where are their headlines? Where are their tears?

For the price of one missile, a school full of hungry children could eat lunch every day for 5 years. But of course missiles are a bigger priority. Now that's something to cry about.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:58 AM

83 posts, read 271,436 times
Unhappy RIP Michael

I've got this weird mixed emotion thing going on. On the one hand, I'm absolutely horrified that Michael Jackson, the first boy I liked, is dead. On the other hand, I feel guilty about mourning too much because the boy I fell in love with is long gone and the man who replaced him would probably have preferred my son to me. That sounds cold, but it's the reality check I have to give myself to maintain mental balance on this issue. Yes, I know none of the charges were proven but I believe they were true.

That said, I sobbed uncontrollably the day he died and cried all that night. To maintain my sanity I went to thesmokinggun.com and revisited those court depositions from his last case. It dried up my tears and made me realize that he was another flawed human whose soul was not a happy one. Surprisingly, that didn't make me cry--it just made me sad in a detached and objective way. I feel far worse for his family than I do for myself. I missed the end of the BET awards when Janet Jackson showed up. I think that's probably for the best because I would have started sobbing again.

The death of Anna Nicole Smith was a real tragedy because I believe that poor woman didn't have one soul on Earth who truly loved her. Everyone she was around was trying to use her. And the fact that her baby will grow up in such a sad legacy is truly a tragedy.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:56 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Just days before my 9th birthday, Elvis died, I remember crying that night as they played all of his songs on the radio in tribute.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:07 PM

845 posts, read 2,743,651 times
I too cried a little for Aaliyah. I grew up listening to her and it was such a shock when it happened. With Michael Jackson, I have been getting misty eyed on and off since I first heard of his death. I have been watching his old stuff on youtube and he seemed so happy when he performed. It's sad the way his life turned out but he was really a phenomenal artist.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:38 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
I was a child but I remember crying when I heard Marilyn Monroe died. I had thought she was so pretty.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:12 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Im surprised no one mentioned President John F. Kennedy. I wasn't born yet but Im sure many of our fellow CD'ers were around during the time he was assassinated. I cant imagine ANY person's death to be larger and more upsetting than that.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:41 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
I got a little teary-eyed at the passing of John Lee Hooker and James Brown.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:31 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,336,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I don't think it makes you a cold person. As someone else wrote, some people just don't connect emotionally to people they don't know.

I posted that I shed a few tears for some famous people...but I agree with Miss Crabcakes here. Some people just DON'T cry or feel an emotional attachment. Some do. For those that don't...the answer to the OP's question would be "No."

Old 06-30-2009, 08:54 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Im surprised no one mentioned President John F. Kennedy. I wasn't born yet but Im sure many of our fellow CD'ers were around during the time he was assassinated. I cant imagine ANY person's death to be larger and more upsetting than that.
I think he was mentioned a few times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities