Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 06:54 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Don't understand how you can have an emotional connection to someone you never met or spoke to either in writing or on telephone. I think some of you get wrapped up in the lives of celebrities to escape the life you live.
In a way I agree with you sailordave. I am not a television watcher and I could care less about movies too. To me these people are just like anyone else who is doing a job. However, with the cult of celebrity that exists in this country, I can understand why sometimes people feel an emotional connection to people they have seen on television.

It's kind of a sick testament to our culture in a way. Sometimes people will cry for celebrities and not for their own family members. I think that America (and probably other countries too) really need to examine our priorities.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 06:56 PM

79 posts, read 74,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I'm an emotional person, so it does take much these days to move me to tears.

Got choked up about JFK Jr.
I too am like you, I connect with famous people, look at them, get used to them being there and when they die, I feel an empty space, but alas, life has to go on. The celebrities that I mourn wouldn't want me to feel depressed over their passing.

I too cried a little over JFK JR, as my dad pointed out that he was the little boy who saluted his dad at the funeral, after the Dallas 1963 shooting.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:33 PM

458 posts, read 1,355,471 times
I have not actually shed a tear over a celebrities death. But I have been shocked or upset. Micheal Landon was one of them, what can I say I loved little house on the prairie. John Ritter was another, and MJ was a shock, it sounds funny but I always thought he would be "there" KWIM? Princess Diana was a huge shock to me. (not exactly a celebrity per say but still well known)

Old 07-12-2009, 02:43 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You can have a connection to these people because they are a part of your life. Like I said, Michael Landon was in my living room from the time I was born until I was 30 years old. No, I did not know him but I felt like I had a connection to him because I watched him as a kid and then my youngest kid watched him (he was one actor that you could safely leave your children to watch without worrying about what they might see). So there was a connection even though I did not personally know him.
He wasn't in your living room. Your television was in your living room.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:56 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Never. They do not give me anything. And they do not know me, So why would I cry?

Old 07-12-2009, 02:56 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,327,366 times
yeah Michael Landon's death upset me because of the role he played for so many years, the perfect dad(used to wish he was mine)...but I didn't know him as a person of course...
Jerry Garcia's death..no idea why, I wasn't a deadhead (I had a pint of Cherry Garcia icecream that day in his honor LOL)
And pincess Diana's death, that was sad..she was a role model and a beautiful (yet sad) person IMO, I shed a tear or two seeing her funeral on TV...
Gosh, yeah we identify with stars and especially when they go before their time, it does something to us.
and John Ritter, yeah I cried a tear over his death too, so unexpected (was in love with him when he was in Three's Company)
oh and Neil Diamond was my huge hero when I was growing up, his death's gonna be sad for me I just know it...

Old 07-12-2009, 11:36 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
yeah Michael Landon's death upset me because of the role he played for so many years, the perfect dad(used to wish he was mine)...but I didn't know him as a person of course.....

I've never seen the show. It must have been very good to have made such an impression on so many.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-13-2009, 04:34 PM

709 posts, read 1,767,209 times
Quote:
Don't understand how you can have an emotional connection to someone you never met or spoke to either in writing or on telephone. I think some of you get wrapped up in the lives of celebrities to escape the life you live.
I agree with you 100%. I can never bring myself to cry for someone that I have never met upclose in my entire life, let alone know personally.

Johnny Depp for example is one of my favorite actors of all time, but when he eventually passes away I am not going to act like my mother just died and start breaking down and cry a river. Why should I when I do not know the guy personally. Sure I will feel a little sad, but not to the point of crying and acting like my life will never be the same again without his presence on this planet.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:38 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
Tupac

Old 07-15-2009, 03:59 AM

709 posts, read 1,767,209 times
Quote:
It's kind of a sick testament to our culture in a way. Sometimes people will cry for celebrities and not for their own family members. I think that America (and probably other countries too) really need to examine our priorities.
You can bet your bottom dollar that the majority of people who started crying over the death of Michael Jackson, did not shed a single tear when they found out that little 2 year old Caylee Anthony was found dead and wrapped up in duct tape in a wooded area.

Since Caylee Anthony was never in a music video with people dressed as dancing zombies, her death is not considered tragic or important by the masses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities