Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 05:56 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,938 times

Advertisements

A alot of works come to mind when I try to describe this book: graphic, alarming, thorough, sad, tragic.

Was MJ a pedophile? NO, not according to this book
Gay? Yes, Michael Jackson was a gay man... really, not surprising to me

The final months were very sad. I don't believe he could have escaped the clutches of his entourage even if he wanted to. It really painted a sinister picture of what was going on. He made it sound as if he brought in that Murray doctor to kill him. He knew he was going to die.

Intersting, quick read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 07:21 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
I just started to read this. I will pop back in with my analysis after I've formed more of an opinion.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:35 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Amazon.com: Ronald Sehaefer "Ron"'s review of Unmasked: The Final Years of Michael Jackson

Why I won't be reading it. Note, I didn't write this, but it sums up succinctly why this author isn't the least bit credible. The thing that tipped me off was the release of the rehearsal video. If MJ was capable of that two days before he died, the claims made by Halperin of MJ being frail and bedridden, blind in one eye, and all that other stuff don't wash. Besides, all his sources are anonymous. And for an "investigative journalist" there is very little non-celebrity related work (and all the celeb stuff is unauthorized tabloid trash, much like I suspect this book is) available on the web about him. I call BS on Ian Halperin.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:40 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnisher View Post
Amazon.com: Ronald Sehaefer "Ron"'s review of Unmasked: The Final Years of Michael Jackson

Why I won't be reading it. Note, I didn't write this, but it sums up succinctly why this author isn't the least bit credible. The thing that tipped me off was the release of the rehearsal video. If MJ was capable of that two days before he died, the claims made by Halperin of MJ being frail and bedridden, blind in one eye, and all that other stuff don't wash. Besides, all his sources are anonymous. And for an "investigative journalist" there is very little non-celebrity related work (and all the celeb stuff is unauthorized tabloid trash, much like I suspect this book is) available on the web about him. I call BS on Ian Halperin.
That was my brief impression of IH.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:43 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
I can't believe anyone is actually paying money to read such trash. This guy is full of the brown stuff.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:55 AM

I think IH did a great job at debunking the pedophile story.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:37 PM

It's funny, the book got terrible reviews, but I suspect these people haven't read it. Tell me why you guys think that Ian Halperin isn't credible? I'm just curious. I thought it was good, it didn't seem like a hack job to me. I don't know, I don't think he has any reason to fabricate anything.

Thoughts on why this book is crap?

Old 07-22-2009, 12:50 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
It's funny, the book got terrible reviews, but I suspect these people haven't read it. Tell me why you guys think that Ian Halperin isn't credible? I'm just curious. I thought it was good, it didn't seem like a hack job to me. I don't know, I don't think he has any reason to fabricate anything.

Thoughts on why this book is crap?
Go Here>>>

I would have to read the book to really give an opinion but I am leery of books about famous people in general. When 'conspiracy theories' are involved I get lost--ie JFK and his family, the Clintons and the Bush family. I finally just gave up and have tried to accept that very few families escape unscathed.

What did he learn about the allegations against Jackson that convinced him they were unsubstantiated?

Old 07-22-2009, 03:10 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Quote:
I think IH did a great job at debunking the pedophile story.
I think GQ and other reputable sources did this several years ago.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:13 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Quote:

The final months were very sad. I don't believe he could have escaped the clutches of his entourage even if he wanted to. It really painted a sinister picture of what was going on. He made it sound as if he brought in that Murray doctor to kill him. He knew he was going to die.

Intersting, quick read.
Michael Jackson made a commitment to finance and co-direct a drama about foster children. He planned to start on this project after the This is It concerts were finished. I thought when I read this that it did not sound like a suicidal person or that he thought his death was imminent It sounded as if MJ was looking to the future.

Michael Jackson aimed to direct movie about foster children - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090722/film_nm/us_jackson - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities