Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:27 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,884,646 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong -- I'm really glad that squeaky clean won so many awards in light of the utter filth that permeated the AMA's. But her voice is really very average and so are her songs, so I'm surprised she did so well. Is this just the pity vote because of what Kanye West did?

I'll bet there are a lot of losing nominees who hate Kanye right about now, because they probably agree with me that they lost to Taylor due to the voters' pity for her. Bad Kanye! Bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 10:32 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
I was going to say its because kanye stole her mic

Old 11-23-2009, 10:47 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
I think it was because she had the number one record this year and sold out places like Madison Square Gardens in like 5 minutes?

I agree here voice isn't all that, but she had an amazing year sales wise.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:52 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,095 times
I've been wondering the same thing. Besides being very pretty, I don't find anything about her or her music anything special. In fact, it seems very bland and boring.

She was on SNL months back and my hubby and I were completely bored. There was nothing to her songs.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:56 AM

750 posts, read 2,275,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Don't get me wrong -- I'm really glad that squeaky clean won so many awards in light of the utter filth that permeated the AMA's. But her voice is really very average and so are her songs, so I'm surprised she did so well. Is this just the pity vote because of what Kanye West did?

I'll bet there are a lot of losing nominees who hate Kanye right about now, because they probably agree with me that they lost to Taylor due to the voters' pity for her. Bad Kanye! Bad!

I'm not a Taylor Swift fan or country or pop fan either but you have admit when someone has talent and she does. She writes/co-writes her own music, she's every parents dream for their kids to look up to, and she's putting out music that can get her played on not only country music stations but pop and top 40 stations as well. I don't understand peoples statement that you don't like her music so she shouldn't have won or she won because of sympathy, no she won/wins because of talent.

~"Swift released her second album, Fearless, in November 2008. According to Nielsen SoundScan, Swift is the highest-selling artist of 2008 in the United States with combined sales of more than four million albums. Swift's Fearless and her self-titled album finished 2008 at number three and number six respectively, with sales of 2.1 and 1.5 million.[5] Fearless has topped the Billboard 200 in 11 non-consecutive weeks,[6] a feat no album has spent more time at number one since 1999-2000. According to Forbes, Swift is 2009's 69th most powerful celebrity earning $18 million.[7]"

~"She was the first artist in the history of Nielsen SoundScan to have two different albums in the Top 10 on the year end album chart.[5] It also was the first album by a female artist in country music history to log eight weeks at #1 on The Billboard 200. In mid-January 2009, Swift became the first country artist to top the 2 million mark in paid downloads with three different songs.["

~"Swift is the youngest artist in history to win Album of the Year award"

Old 11-23-2009, 11:37 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,884,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPaul View Post
I'm not a Taylor Swift fan or country or pop fan either but you have admit when someone has talent and she does. She writes/co-writes her own music, she's every parents dream for their kids to look up to, and she's putting out music that can get her played on not only country music stations but pop and top 40 stations as well. I don't understand peoples statement that you don't like her music so she shouldn't have won or she won because of sympathy, no she won/wins because of talent.

~"Swift released her second album, Fearless, in November 2008. According to Nielsen SoundScan, Swift is the highest-selling artist of 2008 in the United States with combined sales of more than four million albums. Swift's Fearless and her self-titled album finished 2008 at number three and number six respectively, with sales of 2.1 and 1.5 million.[5] Fearless has topped the Billboard 200 in 11 non-consecutive weeks,[6] a feat no album has spent more time at number one since 1999-2000. According to Forbes, Swift is 2009's 69th most powerful celebrity earning $18 million.[7]"

~"She was the first artist in the history of Nielsen SoundScan to have two different albums in the Top 10 on the year end album chart.[5] It also was the first album by a female artist in country music history to log eight weeks at #1 on The Billboard 200. In mid-January 2009, Swift became the first country artist to top the 2 million mark in paid downloads with three different songs.["

~"Swift is the youngest artist in history to win Album of the Year award"

I'm sure some people can't distinguish between an artist they merely don't like and an artist who doesn't have talent, but I think I can see the difference.

I don't like the Beatles (shocking, I know!) but I recognize that they have talent. I don't care to listen to the Rolling Stones, but I recognize that they have talent. I could go on and on listing musicians I don't listen to but whom I think have "something" original or compelling. There are also musicians who are kind of cheesy and definitely not first-class performers but I like their music because it reminds me of my youth or has some other nostalgic value for me.

I've listened to Taylor Swift and her music is just very bland and her voice is uninteresting. A lot of kids write their own music but that doesn't make it good. In fact, I wish people would STOP trying to be the next Bob Dylan and just sing songs written by competent songwriters! If all you have is a voice, there's no shame in that. But now everyone wants to be a lyricist and composer and dancer and stripper too.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:45 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
I don't like her music. But I'm just glad that some young girl can win big without being half naked all the time.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:10 PM

444 posts, read 799,133 times
Might be her squeaky-clean image, might be her lyrics touch the hearts of others, might be that young girls can relate to her. I am very choosy about what my children listen to and I know that her songs are acceptable in content and won't have bad language. She reminds me of Carrie Underwood in that regard......

Old 11-23-2009, 12:18 PM

497 posts, read 1,175,947 times
I have great admiration for Miss Swift. She is a truly nice girl and it is refreshing to see young girls looking up to her. She sets a wonderful example and our young girls have not had that for a long time. She writes songs they relate to. She speaks the 15 year old language. I appreciate that her songs are not full of foul language, hate and sex.

Having said that...she can't sing.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:39 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
this

or this....

I'll take Swift for my kids...

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 09:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities