Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2009, 02:18 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times

Advertisements

Can I just say, for the record, I never liked Tiger. I always thought he was a smug pompous ass and a sore loser.

My DH on the other hand adored him. At golf tourneys I'd always rather follow around Vijay or Phil much to my husbands chagrin. LOL!

Carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 03:46 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,388,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
I don't think Tiger knows what he should do.

Seriously, I think Tiger's agent has given him some poor advice not to come forward...
I think if it was just one affair, or a couple of one-night stands, Tiger could have easily come forward and made a statement in person. But the scandal snowballed so quickly that neither he nor his handlers knew what to do, so they let it slide. Also, his face was injured, and that may have been a factor inhibiting a public appearance because a lot of folks believe Elin beat him up.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:52 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I always thought he was a smug pompous ass and a sore loser.
I can see how people could have perceived him as a "smug pompous ass" (I just saw an athlete), but "a sore loser"? With his golfing record? (before Thanksgiving)

Old 12-22-2009, 04:04 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,471,004 times
PGA Tour Popularity Plummets

The PGA Tour has taken a huge online hit to its reputation because of the passive way in which it has dealt with the ongoing Tiger Woods sex scandal.

Before the never-ending Woods saga began late last month, the buzz surrounding the PGA Tour was 84 percent positive. That was higher than the NBA (81 percent positive), MLB (75 percent), and NHL (72 percent), according to digital marketing agency Zeta Interactive.

As of December 22, however, the online popularity of the PGA Tour had dropped to 64 percent, which was lower than any other major sports league in the United States.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:07 PM

Tiger Woods' Popularity Plummets

In the survey conducted December 16-20, Woods' favorable rating dropped to 34 percent. That compares to a rating of 60 percent in early December, days after Woods' crash.

In 2005, the star golfer's favorable rating was at 85 percent.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Tuesday indicated the drop in Woods' popularity was not as dramatic among African-Americans. About two-thirds of blacks still held a favorable view of Woods, while only 28 percent of whites felt the same way. Views of women and men were similar; 40 percent of men liked Woods, compared with 39 percent of women, the poll showed.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:14 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
It's what happens when a professional athlete is set up as a demigod to be revered. Then the demigod does something humanly stupid, and we are all crushed. Not to say that Tiger's behavior wasn't worthy of criticism, but he should never have been placed on such a pedestal to begin with. He's just a guy who happens to be an extremely skillful golfer. Just because someone has exceptional abilities in one area doesn't mean that he has exceptionally high ethics.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
It's what happens when a professional athlete is set up as a demigod to be revered. Then the demigod does something humanly stupid, and we are all crushed. Not to say that Tiger's behavior wasn't worthy of criticism, but he should never have been placed on such a pedestal to begin with. He's just a guy who happens to be an extremely skillful golfer. Just because someone has exceptional abilities in one area doesn't mean that he has exceptionally high ethics.
It's no different than with any other person - corporate CEO, politician, preacher, school principal, police chief, etc., etc. They all may be exceptionally good at what they do, but the public expects them to have high ethical standards...especially when the person purposely portrays (depicts) themselves to have high ethical standards. Right?

Old 12-22-2009, 04:31 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Right, but it's even more pronounced in the case of an athlete, since children are so enamoured of them and want to be just like them someday, and the parents encourage this sort of hero-worship with little thought as to what the athlete is really like in the rest of his life..

Old 12-22-2009, 04:34 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
but he should never have been placed on such a pedestal to begin with.
It sounds that it's the public's fault, for elevating him. By getting on all billboards and representing huge corporations, he started playing a bigger game, - and lifted himself to the level of those people Highcotton mentioned, - of whom ethical behavior is expected.

Had he stuck to just being an athlete (and he could have had a comfortable life with golf's money) - I don't think his "transgressions" would have been as big of a deal.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:11 PM

TMZ Sports to launch after more Tiger Woods brought plenty of readers

TMZ - the news machine now wants more sports dirty laundry.

The celebrity and political media machine TMZ has announced they will be launching a sports version of their brand. Spokespeople at TMZ said that they were “going to launch this service before the Tiger Woods story hit. However that ramping up of TMZ Sports has accelerated with the website looking for top name writers and bloggers.

For years athletes have made the gossip pages since the days of Babe Ruth but for the most part they have not been hounded like actors, actresses or politicians. But now the Woods incident has become the game changer as it seems that sports fans have an appetite for gossip.

Those many "gentleman's clubs" that have set up VIP rooms for top name sports stars and their friends will be open season for anyone with a cell phone video camera.

Now with TMZ realizing that athletes can be fair game there will be more about Tom Brady, Alex Rodriguez and extensive probing into the lives of big name NBA, NHL, NFL, Major League Baseball, tennis and golfers will all be amped up.

I can see a lot of fist fights between athletes and the paparazzi following them around...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities