Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 09:20 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting documentary that interviews Latino celebrities talking about race. Christina Milian is interviewed as well. Her parts are at the beginning, 2 min:58 sec, 5 min:43 sec(really reminded me of this thread lol.), and 7 min:11 sec.

Black and Latino - YouTube

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 10-29-2013 at 09:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 01:37 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes;32016074[B
]Hispanic is NOT a race. Hispanic is just a term that signifies and means that you come from a Spanish speaking country. A Hispanic person can be of any race or race mixtures. You do know that black and Hispanic are NOT mutually exclusive right?[/b] In addition NOT all black people are African American or of African American descent. There are black people in every country in the world. More Africans were imported the the Caribbean, South America, and Central America than to the USA.

For example, look up Faizon Love who is 100% Cuban. Laz Alonso is 100% Cuban.

Gina Torres who is the wife of Lawrence Fishburne, is Cuban (though it's also rumored that she is mixed with Puerto Rican as well.)

Zoe Saldana is half Dominican and half Puerto Rican.

Merlyn Santana, the late actor and musician, is Dominican.

Christina Millian's father is a white looking Cuban and her mother has caramelo cafe con leche skin coloring. She looks a lot like her mother.

The demographics of Cuba are 51% mulatto, 37% white, 11% black, and 1% Asians and others.

Mariah Carey's father is half Venezuelan. Jennifer Lopez was born to 2 Puerto Rican parents. She has black, white, and Native American ancestors
I had no idea. I always thought Hispanic =people who look darker not white white like Jennifer Lopez, Eva Langoria etc. Do I mean Latina then? Latina is a race right? This is confusing.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:31 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
I had no idea. I always thought Hispanic =people who look darker not white white like Jennifer Lopez, Eva Langoria etc. Do I mean Latina then? Latina is a race right? This is confusing.
No. Eva Longoria actually can trace her roots directly to the 1500s in various lands that are now integral parts of the USA. Racially she is of European, African, and Native American descent. So she has white, black, and Native American ancestors. Her ancestors have been living in lands of the Southwest and vast Louisiana Territory since the 1500s. Hell, technically Beyonce is Hispanic/Latin@ as well, since her mother's roots descend from peoples that settled in lands that were colonized by France and Spain. In the areas and lands and regions that was part of the Louisiana territory, French, Spanish, and Créole(s), are still spoken and it still had a Latin/Creole based cultural and historical synthesis. Beyonce and Eva Longoria may even share some of the same ancestors be related distantly in some degree, but that's a whole other story. Beyonce is half Bahamian from her father and half Louisiana Creole from her mother.

As for Hispanic/Latino, these are NOT racial terms. Latin/Romance based languages include French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, and Romanian and any Creoles and patois and pidgins derived or based from these languages.

Hispanic is a term that refers to a person regardless of race that comes from a Spanish speaking nation or culture.

A Latino, refers to a anyone that comes from a country that speaks or has a Latin derived Romance language. However in the USA, the term Latino is used to refer SPECIFICALLY and only to Spanish speakers from Spanish language/Spanish speaking cultures. So it's essentially used to refer to one language umbrella of Latin-ness, which is the Hispanophone/Hispano-Latin umbrella. Brazilians would be Lusitanic, and Haitians would be Franco-Latin.

Hispanics/Latinos can be if ANY race or racial admixture. More than 200 million people in the Caribbean, Central America, and South America are of black African descent. More African slaves were imported to lands south of the USA border. In the New World the cradle of what would become the USA received only somewhere between 3% to 6% of the entire slave trade. Between 93% to 97% of the slave trade to the New World went to South of the USA border or to other Spanish, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Swedish, and Scottish, based colonies.

In Spanish speaking countries, there are plenty of WHITES, plenty of BLACKS, and plenty of NATIVE AMERICANS. There are even ASIANS in Spanish speaking countries. There are also many people that are MIXED RACE of different racial mixture combos.

There is NO such thing as looking Hispanic/Latino. Hispanic/Latinos can be of any look or phenotype

Spanish and Spaniard means people or things from Spain, which is a nation in Europe, and just like other European nations, the ORIGINAL peoples of these European nations are WHITE, however people of all races live in all European nations.

Christina Millian was born and raised to 2 Cuban immigrant parents.

Gina Torres is the wife of Lawrence Fishburne, and also an actress. She is Cuban (but is also rumored to be half Puerto Rican, in addition to Cuban.)

Faizon Love is Cuban born and raised.

Laz Alonso's parents and family are from Cuba. He grew up back and forth between Cuba.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
There are plenty of Hispanics that look white and ARE in fact white.

Actor Andy Garcia is from Cuba.

Charlie Sheen is Cuban. He changed his name to Charlie Sheen. His real last name is Estevez.

William Levy was born and raised in Cuba.

Sofia Vergara is WHITE, and she is from Colombia.

Pitbull is a WHITE Cuban. Both of his parents are WHITE people from Cuba.

There are plenty of WHITE people in Spanish speaking countries.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
To each her own. In my opinion she looks like a beautiful black woman. To me she has no features that would make me think she is biracial eg Mariah's lighter skin, clearly indicative of white lineage or Vanessa Williams light eyes, blue eyes clearly indicative of white lineage. She is no Rashida Jones. She looks black to me but still very beautiful.
What exactly do you define as biracial, multiracial, or mixed etc? Rozanda "Chilli" Thomas from the girl group TLC, is mixed race. Her father is East Indian and Arab descent, and her mother is mostly of African American descent with notable Native American and European lineages. Full blooded siblings in one family can come out looking different from each other skin tone, hair texture, and features. I've seen it happen plenty of times. What is the starting point or ending point to what defines what is mixed race or mixed race enough? Where does it begin and where does it end?

There are plenty of mixed people that come out dark and dark people that are significantly mixed.

For example, Tatyana Ali is mixed. Her father is a Trinidadian of direct East Indian(from India) descent, and her mother is a Spanish speaking immigrant mother from Panama.

Christina Millian is in fact 100% Cuban. She was born in the USA to 2 immigrant Cuban parents. She has a very white light bright father and a mother with a cafe con leche caramel skin coloring.

Cuba is a nation or country just like how the USA is a nation/country. In Cuba there are all kinds of races and racial groups and racial mixtures etc.

Most of the national population of Cuba is descended from*Spaniards (mostly Andalucia and Canary Islanders),*Africans (mostly Bantu and Yoruba).*Small populations derive from Caribbean people from other islands, French, and Chinese.

CHRISTINA MILLIAN'S PARENTS:

The very white light skinned man in this pic is Christina Millian's father:

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/mp/FqcbpcaBkewl.jpg

Here is a picture with Christina Millian and her mother:

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/bg/C...CSwuXs3phl.jpg

Old 11-06-2013, 06:06 AM

48 posts, read 106,427 times
I think she's Latina of mixed ancestry not a Hispanic.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:01 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
I consider Christina Milian.....sexy!

Old 11-10-2013, 03:40 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
What exactly do you define as biracial, multiracial, or mixed etc? Rozanda "Chilli" Thomas from the girl group TLC, is mixed race. Her father is East Indian and Arab descent, and her mother is mostly of African American descent with notable Native American and European lineages. Full blooded siblings in one family can come out looking different from each other skin tone, hair texture, and features. I've seen it happen plenty of times. What is the starting point or ending point to what defines what is mixed race or mixed race enough? Where does it begin and where does it end?

There are plenty of mixed people that come out dark and dark people that are significantly mixed.

For example, Tatyana Ali is mixed. Her father is a Trinidadian of direct East Indian(from India) descent, and her mother is a Spanish speaking immigrant mother from Panama.

Christina Millian is in fact 100% Cuban. She was born in the USA to 2 immigrant Cuban parents. She has a very white light bright father and a mother with a cafe con leche caramel skin coloring.

Cuba is a nation or country just like how the USA is a nation/country. In Cuba there are all kinds of races and racial groups and racial mixtures etc.

Most of the national population of Cuba is descended from*Spaniards (mostly Andalucia and Canary Islanders),*Africans (mostly Bantu and Yoruba).*Small populations derive from Caribbean people from other islands, French, and Chinese.

CHRISTINA MILLIAN'S PARENTS:

The very white light skinned man in this pic is Christina Millian's father:

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/mp/FqcbpcaBkewl.jpg

Here is a picture with Christina Millian and her mother:

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/bg/C...CSwuXs3phl.jpg
To me, exxotical = racially ambigous like Stacy Dash light eyes white people hair but darker skin or Vanessa Williams. Chilli looks like a regular black girl to me.

To me you have to have white people features to a certain extent and I see a black woman in Christina Milan.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 24,366 times
I think Christiana Milian is a Hispanic because in the movie"Bring it on fight to finish". Then she is really fluent and they could have tought her that but I think she's Hispanic.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:40 AM

412 posts, read 545,368 times
She is both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities