Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 11:20 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Tonight show rating fell in part to the SIGNIFICANTLY lower # of folks watching the NBC news, after Leno's show was put in front of it. Key is to keep viewers on a station through the news.

Conan is clever, but he's not everyones taste. But I rarely run into someone who thinks Leno is funny, other than an occasional bit.

see, I don't buy this, people have remote controls and besides, conan lost half of Leno's ratings and was no better than Letterman in the 18-49 demographic, a supposed strength of his and one of two reasons NBC wanted him on the Tonight Show.

I don't normally watch Jimmy Fallon but when ringo starr was on I made sure I punched 2 numbers on my remote control at 12:35pm. havent' watched him since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 12:17 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Brick wall? Not at all. lol Most of my friends and family have a wicked sense of humor, just not for the juvenile/adolescent sort, which is not the opposite of intelligent by the way.

Juvenile is the stuff that appeals to the middle schooler in people and sends them into howling peals of laughter. It's stuff they delight in, like the guinea pig in G-Force who farts and blows flames in an effort to escape a cage. It's there for the kids, but it's also there for those who do delight in the adolescent aspect of it.

It's not an entire population, just some correlations that came to mind.

I like Leno's ability to make jokes that connect to everyday people.
I like Letterman's ability to make fun of himself.
I like Ferguson's ability to point out the idiosyncrasies here that he sees being a new American citizen.
I like Wanda Sykes ability to push the envelope that many people aren't willing to push.
I like George Lopez's ability to tell it from a Latino perspective also pushing the envelope.

Do they all use juvenile humor? On occasion they do, but it's not the foundation or core of their shows like it is for Conan. While there is definitely a niche for that, I don't think it's after the late local news, otherwise Conan would have shined at that time despite any lead in shortfalls.

I like various comedians for all kinds of different reasons and I don't find every single thing they do to be funny.
Conan just happens to be one I do not find funny at all and I realized at some point it was very simply because of his type of humor.
Fair enough and thanks for clarifying. I responded because I didn't think all of the shows in your original post would be considered juvenile humor. Sure they have a certain aspect of low brow, sight gag humor, but some of them rely heavily on satire and obscure references for their punchlines. Much less juvinile in my opinion then your standard sitcom where it is a situational setup and punchline. Anyway,I got way off topic here.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:01 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times
Quote:
Brick wall? Not at all. lol Most of my friends and family have a wicked sense of humor, just not for the juvenile/adolescent sort, which is not the opposite of intelligent by the way.

Juvenile is the stuff that appeals to the middle schooler in people and sends them into howling peals of laughter. It's stuff they delight in, like the guinea pig in G-Force who farts and blows flames in an effort to escape a cage. It's there for the kids, but it's also there for those who do delight in the adolescent aspect of it.

It's not an entire population, just some correlations that came to mind.

I like Leno's ability to make jokes that connect to everyday people.
I like Letterman's ability to make fun of himself.
I like Ferguson's ability to point out the idiosyncrasies here that he sees being a new American citizen.
I like Wanda Sykes ability to push the envelope that many people aren't willing to push.
I like George Lopez's ability to tell it from a Latino perspective also pushing the envelope.

Do they all use juvenile humor? On occasion they do, but it's not the foundation or core of their shows like it is for Conan. While there is definitely a niche for that, I don't think it's after the late local news, otherwise Conan would have shined at that time despite any lead in shortfalls.

I like various comedians for all kinds of different reasons and I don't find every single thing they do to be funny.
Conan just happens to be one I do not find funny at all and I realized at some point it was very simply because of his type of humor.
What I find ironic about this post is the very things that Hypocore cites as the reasons that Leno, Letterman, Ferguson, Sikes, and Lopez are all the same EXACT things that Conan does.

- Relate to everyday people? Conan does that well...if he didnt Hypocore wouldnt have accused him of appealing to people with juvenile mindsets. The shows (sponge bob, family guy) and people like Will Farrell, and Adam Sandler are some of the most well liked pop phenomenons this country has ever known. And wouldnt you know it, Conan was a writer for the Simpsons. If relating to everyday people is the barometer of comedic appeal, Conan would be considered the most successful comedian of the 90's/New millenium.

- Ability to make fun of himself? Conan is one of the most self depricating late night hosts. Perhaps only Craig Ferguson even comes close.

- Pointing out Idiosyncrasies of Americans? -- Something that only a foreign born comedian can do without being criticized by the patriot brigade.

- Pushing the envelope? - Wanda Sykes does push the envelope well. Yet, she is not even in the conversation when it comes to ratings. If anything, this will be the niche market that has a very limited growth potential

- Telling it from a ______ perspective? Conan does the SAME thing night in and night out. It may not be politically correct to say so, but he consistently speaks/jokes about his Irish heritage.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:38 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,837 times
every show entails at least 2 of 3 jokes being made

1. he's fair skinned
2. his wild hair
3. his irish heritage/ lepracaun voice

how is this funny every night?

Old 01-25-2010, 01:56 PM

not the content...its the context.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:58 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
What I find ironic about this post is the very things that Hypocore cites as the reasons that Leno, Letterman, Ferguson, Sikes, and Lopez are all the same EXACT things that Conan does.
If that were true, they'd all be interchangeable and none of what's happened would have occurred.

However, we all know that's not the case because they are all very different comedians with different types of humor, delivery and tone.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
If that were true, they'd all be interchangeable and none of what's happened would have occurred.

However, we all know that's not the case because they are all very different comedians with different types of humor, delivery and tone.

not so much interchangeable, as Conan was actually the combination of each of those great qualities..except perhaps Wanda Sykes...

I actually think Conan's zaniness was far more appealing to youth. However, old people are the ones who watch local news. Its not likely that one will find a 20 something at home watching the local news, and whatever late night program at 10:30pm on a Thursday or Friday night...when he was in his original timeslot, I remember being in a room full of cackling college students as Will Farrel appeared and sang on Conan's show...there wasnt one person who didnt find it funny.

Juvenile minded? or just youthful?...I bid that they were both.

Of course, the high spirited nature of juvenile joviality and humor go hand and hand. At least much moreso than old, jaded and jovial.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
not so much interchangeable, as Conan was actually the combination of each of those great qualities..except perhaps Wanda Sykes...

I actually think Conan's zaniness was far more appealing to youth. However, old people are the ones who watch local news. Its not likely that one will find a 20 something at home watching the local news, and whatever late night program at 10:30pm on a Thursday or Friday night...when he was in his original timeslot, I remember being in a room full of cackling college students as Will Farrel appeared and sang on Conan's show...there wasnt one person who didnt find it funny.

Juvenile minded? or just youthful?...I bid that they were both.

Of course, the high spirited nature of juvenile joviality and humor go hand and hand. At least much moreso than old, jaded and jovial.
I simply don't agree that Conan was all of those things. I didn't think so 20 years ago when I first heard him and I don't think so today. Of course that's my opinion and yours is different.

I can name numerous friends of mine who are between 50-65 who hoot and howl at Conan, just as I can name even more who are between 20-30 who shudder at the mere mention of his name.
You might have sat in a room full of college kids laughing, however I can counter that with both my daughter's groups of friends having an intense dislike of Conan. It's not an age thing, it's a mindset thing.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I simply don't agree that Conan was all of those things. I didn't think so 20 years ago when I first heard him and I don't think so today. Of course that's my opinion and yours is different.

I can name numerous friends of mine who are between 50-65 who hoot and howl at Conan, just as I can name even more who are between 20-30 who shudder at the mere mention of his name.
You might have sat in a room full of college kids laughing, however I can counter that with both my daughter's groups of friends having an intense dislike of Conan. It's not an age thing, it's a mindset thing.
I agree to disagree...Its much more contingent on age than mindset..and again, I think that youth, and its typically attendant joviality predispose one to humor much moreso than old age and its typically attendant jaded disposition.

Ill also say that IMO while some dont like Conan's personality, hardly anyone has doubted that he has one. Jay Leno's personality remains largely nondescript, if it exists at all.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I agree to disagree...Its much more contingent on age than mindset..and again, I think that youth, and its typically attendant joviality predispose one to humor much moreso than old age and its typically attendant jaded disposition.

Ill also say that IMO while some dont like Conan's personality, hardly anyone has doubted that he has one. Jay Leno's personality remains largely nondescript, if it exists at all.
Again, my opinion is different than yours and obviously I don't agree.
Then again, neither did the majority of the viewers of the Tonight Show time slot, otherwise Conan would have had droves of viewers in the age bracket they sought. Instead he failed miserably with that group and it went to Letterman, who certainly isn't thought of as youthful or jovial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities