Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 01:13 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times

Advertisements

John Mayer shocked fans this week in a controversial interview with Playboy magazine in which he used the N-word and likened his sexual desires to that of a white supremacist. But despite a quick apology and explanation via Twitter, followed by an onstage breakdown during a Nashville concert, it appears his self-proclaimed “hood pass” may have expired.

Whenever you use the N-word, there are going to be serious consequences,” an A-list Hollywood record executive told Pop Tarts. “People come back all the time from inappropriate comments, but this is a serious problem that could possibly hurt record sales and his public perception if it keeps blowing up. Mayer should do some sensitivity training, which might be a good start in bouncing back from this.”
Prior to the incident, which coincides with Black History Month, Mayer was often penned as a crossover artist.

Over the course of his career, he had worked with a range of black music moguls including Jay-Z, B.B King, Herbie Hancock, Nelly, NaS and was even one of the few artists featured in last year’s Michael Jackson Memorial Concert. But experts speculate that he may have quite a bit of crawling to do to get back in the industry’s good graces after using such degrading language.

“His comments were as offensive as you can get,” a label insider said. “Some African-American artists will definitely stand their ground and just write him off. Mayer’s comments are not only unacceptable, they're illogical and totally irrational for somebody who is as smart as he is supposed to be.”

FOXNews.com - Has John Mayer's 'Hood Pass' Been Revoked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 01:18 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
But experts speculate that he may have quite a bit of crawling to do to get back in the industry’s good graces after using such degrading language.

“His comments were as offensive as you can get,” a label insider said.

Yeah, what degrading language.

I mean you'd never hear black people refer to one another as "the N word". Right?

You'd never have artists, shareholders, and industry executives that profited off records that use "The N Word". Of course not! These people have every right to the moral high ground.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:33 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Yeah, what degrading language.

I mean you'd never hear black people refer to one another as "the N word". Right?

You'd never have artists, shareholders, and industry executives that profited off records that use "The N Word". Of course not! These people have every right to the moral high ground.

Um, Cletus, I get your point, but there is such a thing as context--and intent.

And Meyer's remarks involved a lot more than the N-word.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:06 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Um, Cletus, I get your point, but there is such a thing as context--and intent.

And Meyer's remarks involved a lot more than the N-word.
Can you clarify the problem for me?

Is it the use of "the N word" ? I don't see a problem with that word, or that concept. This is a garden-variety word in American society among all races. I hear black people use this word every day.
Is it the use of "the C word" ? I don't see a problem with that. This is a part of the human body.
Is it his claim that he isn't attracted to black girls? I don't see a problem with personal preferences.
Is it his self-comparison to a white supremacist? I don't see a problem with colorful metaphors.
Is it the comments about the "hood pass"? I didn't really understand those comments, or that concept.

And I say this with the mind that I really, really don't like John Mayer or his music.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:51 PM

41 posts, read 146,331 times
I am a black women but it didn't bother me that he used the N-word. Rappers say it all the time. I think it was stupid but I also think it is stupid when other rappers say it to.

It doesn't bother me that he is not attracted to me or other black women. We all have our preferences.

I just think he should not have referred to his d**k as being racist. He was trying to be funny but it came out very lame. I do not think that John is racist I just think he is stupid.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:51 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,292 times
What a shock. Except not. I watched a show a few years ago (CMT Crossroads or something like that) and an obviously flustered and star-struck audience member asked him a question about one of his songs. It wasn't the most thoughtful question in the world, but the way he talked to that woman, belittling her with such arrogance and sarcasm, completely turned me off to him in every way.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:05 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racole View Post
I am a black women but it didn't bother me that he used the N-word. Rappers say it all the time. I think it was stupid but I also think it is stupid when other rappers say it to.

It doesn't bother me that he is not attracted to me or other black women. We all have our preferences.

I just think he should not have referred to his d**k as being racist. He was trying to be funny but it came out very lame. I do not think that John is racist I just think he is stupid.

I agree. It's a weird corner we've painted ourselves into. "We" can say we like fried chicken. But if a white person says we like fried chicken, we get upset.

We call each other the n-word, we're fine. I another race calls us that, we're ready to play the race card and resurrect Johnnie Cochrane.

This has got to stop.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:31 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
I agree with Citizenkane on the Black Edition race card thing. I'm not even a fan of John Mayer and I don't think any harm wouldv'e been done if he said that he's not into Black women but I didn't really get all that David Duke talk. I read parts of the interview yesterday and I was like "What is talking about?" It was just an awkward interview.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:12 AM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
John WHO??????
Random: I'm often confused by posts like this. I mean, you took the time to open a thread, read it and post in it... only to make it sound as if you're ignorant and yet cool at the same time to not know who the thread is about.

I just never understand posts like this.

Carry on.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:10 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Can you clarify the problem for me?

Is it the use of "the N word" ? I don't see a problem with that word, or that concept. This is a garden-variety word in American society among all races. I hear black people use this word every day.
Is it the use of "the C word" ? I don't see a problem with that. This is a part of the human body.
Is it his claim that he isn't attracted to black girls? I don't see a problem with personal preferences.
Is it his self-comparison to a white supremacist? I don't see a problem with colorful metaphors.
Is it the comments about the "hood pass"? I didn't really understand those comments, or that concept.

And I say this with the mind that I really, really don't like John Mayer or his music.
hood pass

I do not consider myself an uptight prude, but for me, on top of being tasteless and stupid, the comments were simply TMI.
I actually feel sorry for Jessica Simpson! Your mileage may vary.

Of course the man has a right to his preferences, and a right to have his opinions published. I understand where you are coming from.
He's not the first white guy to try to be edgy by throwing around the N word.
For me, it actually was less the N word than the other stuff--the metaphors were clumsy rather than colorful.

Is Mayer the Great Satan of the music world? No.
He's just kind of a jerk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities