Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:32 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Stern is a thin skinned bully. This girl is an easy target, she didn't need a fading irrelevent disc jockey to point out her shortcomings. Let someone call him a big, gangly, ugly jew that looks like a turkey vulture with a wig...he'd be calling his lawyer faster than he could say "lesbian tickle-fight" for the topic of his next sophmoric show.

well said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 12:54 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoroughly modern millie View Post
Love him or hate him the guy is on the right course about Gabby. I wish her the best in Hollywood, but if she doesn't lose weight there won't be much of a future for her.

What say you.

Howard Stern: Gabourey Sidibe Is 'Enormous,' Will Never Work Again
I've never liked the guy because his show is one cheap shot after another. He has no substance whatsoever and no credibility as far as I am concerned.

Why couldn't Gabby be in a romantic movie? Do you think that fat, black women don't fall in love? I'm quite sure they do. I am also sure that they have joyful, meaningful lives. Hollywood and the whole popular culture mentality has got to get off the platform that only thin, beautiful, white women have lives worth watching or emulating.

Gabby is a great success story. If she chooses to lose weight, fine. If not, who cares? Star Jones lost a lot of weight, and it sure didn't do much for her career. Talent knows no dress size.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-16-2010, 12:55 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Love him or hate him the guy is on the right course about Gabby. I wish her the best in Hollywood, but if she doesn't lose weight there won't be much of a future for her.

What say you.

Howard Stern: Gabourey Sidibe Is 'Enormous,' Will Never Work Again
This from the guy who created "Fart Man"? Oh, he has a lot of room to talk.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-18-2010, 10:02 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,546,796 times
Amazing how obsessed people are with this young lady.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:31 AM

587 posts, read 1,466,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Stern is a a-hole, plain and simple. I'm sick of the double standard that allows fat men to land roles but people flip out when they see an overweight woman. god forbid people go beyond looks and look at talent (b/c, let's face it, if the industry was all about looks, Stern sure as heck wouldn't have done well). according to the article, she already has some roles lined up. I'm not really worried about her career and who am I to worry about her health? (she isn't dumb, she'll take care of her own health and doesn't need random people telling her this)
She may have roles lined up, but that's because of the buzz around Precious. Let's face it Black actresses have a hard time getting really good roles in Hollywood, even Halle Berry. Gabby will not be able to sustain a career. There just are no roles that call for an obese women, let alone a Black one.

Hollywood and everyone else are just fake and blowing smoke up her ass. Still I wish her well. Enjoy it while it last.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:48 AM

484 posts, read 1,216,594 times
Quote:
She may have roles lined up, but that's because of the buzz around Precious. Let's face it Black actresses have a hard time getting really good roles in Hollywood, even Halle Berry. Gabby will not be able to sustain a career. There just are no roles that call for an obese women, let alone a Black one.

Hollywood and everyone else are just fake and blowing smoke up her ass. Still I wish her well. Enjoy it while it last.
So true. People should remember that Gabby did "fall into" this role and lifestyle. By her own admission, she never had dreams of becoming an actor or put any energy toward becoming one.

Even if she did, roles for black female actors haven't changed since the advent of Hollywood. The same stereotypical roles you see black female actors playing in those old movies are the same ones around today; we just like to kid ourselves into believing that we are beyond that.

We already have Halle Berry and Beyonce as Jazebelles and Sapphires. That leaves Gabby to either make history or tie up the hair wrap and be the 2010 version of Mammy or the angry wife of a two-timing husband (Jill Scott, anyone?).

Comparisons to Monique and Queen Latifah are irrelevant. Both built careers in other industries (comedy and music) where weight and looks aren't as big of an issue. Because of their success in those other fields, they both get roles from time to time that capitalize on that fame.

I'm sure Gabby is an incredible person that is worthy of every role she gets. However, Hollywood has never been about merit. As cool as it would be to believe otherwise, I don't think she is the "next big thing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities