Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:53 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times

Advertisements

An Iphone, and only an Iphone. All other smart phones are simply iphone wannabees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 07:34 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
torn between the new blackberry and an iPhone 4.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:38 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times
The HTC G2. It's the only 4G Android phone with a physical keyboard.

I wouldn't consider a Blackberry because 87% of people never use the features that make a Blackberry a Blackberry (and I'm one of those 87%), I would never own a Windows Mobile device because it's sloppy and undersupported, and I would never own an iPhone because it's an overpriced, underfunctional, overly restricted device that is only useful to the "look at me, I have an Apple product, that makes me cool" crowd. I'm also not a big fan of being at the mercy of Apple to replace a part or repair the thing if something goes wrong, nor the fact that it constantly tries to synch with iTunes, which causes traffic issues.

All of which means it's Android for me, and I have large hands/don't like virtual keyboards unless they have Swype (another Android staple). Which leaves the G1, the G2, the MyTouch Slide, and one of the Verizon Droids. And out of those, only the G2 has the 4G capability.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:57 AM

519 posts, read 604,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
The HTC G2. It's the only 4G Android phone with a physical keyboard.
Wrong.

Samsung Epic 4G specs - Phone Arena

Old 11-21-2010, 02:25 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
That's a good find (and it seems to be a nice phone that's flown completely under the radar), but I'm going to stick with my original response for 2 reasons:

1) No Genius button on the Epic and
2) Even unlocked, that phone will have some troubles if you travel overseas with it from what cursory research I've done on it. I get that's not a big deal to most people, but it's something I need.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:20 AM

519 posts, read 604,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
That's a good find (and it seems to be a nice phone that's flown completely under the radar), but I'm going to stick with my original response for 2 reasons:
Completely under the radar...? Hmm I dunno about that. It's PC Mag's number one rated handset: Samsung Epic 4G Review - PCWorld

PC World's Best of 2010: Samsung Epic 4G (Sprint) Review & Rating | PCMag.com

It's gotten similar accolades from Engadget, Boy Genius Report, etc. I see the commercials for it all of the time on TV, though admittedly I don't know what commercials are shown in your neck of the woods.

Quote:
1) No Genius button on the Epic and
I wasn't aware that the G2 had the 'Genius Button' either...

Quote:
2) Even unlocked, that phone will have some troubles if you travel overseas with it from what cursory research I've done on it. I get that's not a big deal to most people, but it's something I need.
True, if one travels to European GSM/UMTS only countries regularly, then that could be a deciding factor. Purchasing an inexpensive GSM phone and swapping in a prepaid SIM from whatever European one happens to be in that week somewhat solves that problem.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
True, if one travels to European GSM/UMTS only countries regularly, then that could be a deciding factor. Purchasing an inexpensive GSM phone and swapping in a prepaid SIM from whatever European one happens to be in that week somewhat solves that problem.

I agree. I only go to Europe once or twice a month.. and typically for only a few days at a time. I keep a GSM phone handy for those occasions. It's better than the alternative of using AT&T or T-Mobile in the US.

Epic is a great phone as is the EVO. There's a new EVO (call EVO shift) which supposedly will have a keyboard and 3.7" size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones