U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2010, 06:05 PM

367 posts, read 1,020,037 times

Advertisements

I currently have a nokia e51 (my provider is AT&T), but it is starting to fall apart on me a little bit. I have seen the Google Nexus and it looks nice but I am not sure about the competition (iPhone I guess), all I know is that it has to fulfill these requirements:

-unlocked
-web+email
-bluetooth
-good voice(call) audio quality!
-3G+GSM in US and Europe

I couldn't care less about camera specs or gps, droid apps would be nice but not on the top of my prio list.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 09:27 PM

33 posts, read 49,421 times
I recently got the HTC Desire unlocked and it really is an amazing phone actually its the best phone I have ever put my hands on. The HTC Desire is basically HTC's own version of the Nexus One also by HTC but for Google but the Desire has better specs and fixed issues from the Nexus One.

The phone is powerful and beautiful with sharp graphics, the touch screen is so responsive with impressive features I cant put the phone down I am currently in awe with it and im not a huge phone buff usually I just use when I need to but I find myself playing with it what seems like all the time.

I went for the Desire as I prefer the Android OS, before I had the HTC Hero with Android then the IPhone which are both nice phones but missed Android so was determined to get a phone with that OS.

The reviews for the Desire are just about all positive and I can see why as HTC have really pushed the bar out with this phone and with others following such as the mighty Evo it seems HTC are taking smartphones to another level.

The downside of the Desire is the battery but like most Android phones I am required to charge every night but settings can be adjusted to save battery life.

Anyway so that's the phone I would buy today if I hadn't got it already and I think I described above why .

Old 07-05-2010, 10:36 PM

8,334 posts, read 23,914,195 times
The Desire is currently only available to Europe and Asian markets, although you might be able to order it over the Internet.

The Nexus One is the only phone of its kind in the US, and is largely modeled after the European market. For those of you who are not aware, in Europe (and perhaps Asia), you buy a fully functioning phone and then choose your provider, monthly plan, data plan (if you want one), etc. In the US, you essentially choose the provider first, then the phone and plan that best suits your needs as offered by that provider. In some cases, such as with the iPhone, you have no choice. Anyways, phones here generally have features that are blocked by the particular provider (hence, not fully functioning), even though the phone has those features already built in. They then nickel and dime you by charging you for those features that they blocked, those features which were already built into the phone.

The iPhone does come fully functioning out of the box, but you are forced to get AT&T unless you know how to jailbreak it. The Nexus One comes fully functioning, since the phone is purchased from Google and not any one particular provider. This is probably the best phone that you are looking for with the possible exception of some of the Sony Ericsson's (which are probably the best cell phones on the planet), but those can run as high as $1000 (depending on model).

Old 07-06-2010, 12:08 AM

33 posts, read 49,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
The Desire is currently only available to Europe and Asian markets, although you might be able to order it over the Internet.
True the Desire will be released in the US next month (August) but yea the unlocked Desire can be easily ordered online such expansys etc.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:03 PM

6,777 posts, read 12,730,342 times
I love my iPhone 4! You can buy one unlocked you just have to pay full price and not the upgrade price.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:37 PM

375 posts, read 903,322 times
Blackberry storm II!

Old 07-07-2010, 10:00 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,465,594 times
I love my HTC Evo!

Old 07-07-2010, 06:56 PM

367 posts, read 1,020,037 times
Thanks for your inputs and reasoning! It looks more and more like a Nexus or, possibly, the Desire depending on the unlocked price.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:56 AM

7,373 posts, read 13,854,727 times
still loving my droid x

Old 11-05-2010, 02:14 AM

9,475 posts, read 8,032,365 times
Evo!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones