Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 01:43 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times

Advertisements

Quantifying the Mobile Data Tsunami and its Implications | Nielsen Wire

Interesting article explaining how a large number of smartphone owners use - or don't use - their phones. It also shows how much data is actually being consumed by a large subset of users.

Of course, people could only be using the phones with wifi, but it still shows pretty low data usage for those that have data plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 02:11 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
My Touch Pro is a very smart phone.
But, it runs on Windows Mobile 6.1, which cripples it.
It took me a few months to realize how little I was using it.

My Evo has probably handled more data in a month than the Touch Pro did in 16 months.
Android is so much better than WinMobile.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:28 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
A good OS is very important - if you can't use it easily, you aren't likely to use it at all.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:30 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
My Touch Pro is a very smart phone.
But, it runs on Windows Mobile 6.1, which cripples it.
It took me a few months to realize how little I was using it.

My Evo has probably handled more data in a month than the Touch Pro did in 16 months.
Android is so much better than WinMobile.
I know exactly what you mean about Windows Mobile. I went from a Blackjack II that used Windows Mobile to an iPhone 3GS with iOS 3.1.3 (and now iOS4). Windows Mobile is just so much less user friendly. It almost makes you want to not use it.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:40 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
You also have to take into consideration that many people probably buy a "smartphone" for show and not utility.

It's kind of like people (or businesses) who bought flat-screen TVs but continued to hook them up with RCA cables and watch the same standard-definition, 4:3 aspect ratio signals "stretched out" to fit their TV. You still see that today...

Apparently, form (appearance) is more important than functionality for a lot of people.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:42 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Not everyone needs or wants a smartphone so they can see how much data they can consume. Some (like us) don't use it for Internet access, watching videos, texting, etc. I have other, more efficient, machines to do that.

These phones can be used to do things other than allow you to compete for the leader board in the data usage category.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:20 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
My smartphone has a 10meg data plan. I've used only 0megs network in this months plan, but 90megs wifi. Most of that is downloading apps, some of it is using the google maps while watching Military channel war stories. Most of my other 'smart use' is for those apps that are already installed such as my U.S. Constitution app, camera/video, handy flashlight for when things go bump in the night, handy currency converter - so I can keep up with the value of a buck, clock, alarm, music player (not mp3), handy grocery list, remote for my Roku, handy 'Urban' dictionary so I know what the cool people are saying, and of course address book.

None of this requires using a network data plan, only wifi to download the apps. Once installed the wifi isn't required either. But I do keep the phone busy. Sometimes I even talk to it.

And I've been pushing HDMI to my flat panel for a number of years. Go Spurs ! ! ! !

Old 05-27-2012, 08:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,565 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I rarely use my android to talk, almost all my use including two hours a day on the bus is on the internet. Still, I have never come close to the typical maximum data for $30. Let's face it, the data hog apps are streaming video and on that little screen it's better to use a laptop or the TV.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:21 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,013,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Let's face it, the data hog apps are streaming video and on that little screen it's better to use a laptop or the TV.
Agreed, and streaming video on a 3G network is mostly an exercise in frustration.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:18 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
Agreed, and streaming video on a 3G network is mostly an exercise in frustration.
Yup, but not so bad on 4G. I usually download the videos I watch (TED, couple vodcasts) on wifi as they're pretty hefty (100-200 megs a pop). Actually all my podcasts only auto download on wifi -- if I one I can always stream or download it on 4G.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones