Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 04:26 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times

Advertisements

ToucheGA, I tend to agree with you. I have friends that have the latest smartphone that has everything on it you need and you dont. When a new one comes out they have to get it, so they are constantly upgrading for no other apparent reason then saying "hey look at me, ive got the latest and greatest". I personally will keep a phone until its broken, or very worn. The technology factor does not play a role in my decision.

My mom cant operate a computer but she bought an Iphone 4 because my sister has one and wants that Skype feature, or whatever its called on the phone. Other than using it as a phone the only other feature she uses is that video chat feature. I give her crap all the time for it, lol

I was another one. I didnt like my choices for non smartphones so I thought Id see what the hype with smartphones was all about. I bought one and other than using it as a cell phone and to text I would occasionally check the weather, but thats it. I quickly realized that spending that extra money on a smartphone each month was not justifiable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 04:35 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
You also have to take into consideration that many people probably buy a "smartphone" for show and not utility.

It's kind of like people (or businesses) who bought flat-screen TVs but continued to hook them up with RCA cables and watch the same standard-definition, 4:3 aspect ratio signals "stretched out" to fit their TV. You still see that today...

Apparently, form (appearance) is more important than functionality for a lot of people.
How much "status" is there in having an item so ubiquitous that middle-class 12-year-old kids have them?

Old 05-31-2012, 04:37 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times
I think many people don't know how to use them.. i mean, that might involve reading the manual.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:38 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
The number may be small, but it's probably bigger than you think. People often buy $200 designer sneakers instead of the $30 shoes from Wal-Mart. We could certainly be seeing the same trend in tech gadgets.
I actually think it is smaller then I think it probably is.
I know a LOT of people. Not bragging. LOL Just stating a reference. I know wealthy people, poor-ish people, techy people, illiterate techy people, Apple fan boys, Android fan boys....

I do know one person that bought a Smartphone and does NOT use it. It was time for her to upgrade. She's older and money is tight. The salesguy talked her into it. SHe didn't need anything a smartphone does and it was cheap. Her entire family got new Androids. She got the most basic Android. She doesn't use ONE feature that she couldn't use a dumb phone for. Why did she get it? She didn't know any better. She showed it to me: "O you got an Android".
"It's not an Android it's an LG".

I don't know one person that bought a phone for the "look at me" factor.
Because, as someone eloquently stated, where's the status in owning a device a 12 year old has? That may have been the case when they were new... not so now.

And yes I do know 2 people that MUST have the latest Apple products. Owned every version of the iPad and iPhone. That, to me, is just silly.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:09 AM

129 posts, read 324,757 times
I had a windows smart phone and kept it 4 days . I was at a lose as to how to use it , plus it would get really hot and drop calls when talking 10 minutes. So now I have just a simple feature phone which has really good connection and reception. never drops calls and as of right now , I don't see a need for a smart phone.

I really don't care to watch videos and surf the internet , play games , or anything else , except to talk . So I see no need of one.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:14 AM

129 posts, read 324,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
That's a ridiculous statement. It's a "status symbol", right?
That's what a few people said about iPades too. Buying them as status symbols or to "show off". Blatantly false. The number of people that do that has to be pretty small.
The guy is correct. Some buy them to brag they have a Smart Phone. Yes they do do that ,lol

Old 05-31-2012, 12:07 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,848,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Quantifying the Mobile Data Tsunami and its Implications | Nielsen Wire

Interesting article explaining how a large number of smartphone owners use - or don't use - their phones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
a certain percentage of those users will convert once they get used to it.
"If you build it, he will come." $$$

Old 06-03-2012, 08:34 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,127 times
I use my phone as my 'mp3' player more than anything else!

Old 07-09-2012, 05:09 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
My smartphone has a 10meg data plan. I've used only 0megs network in this months plan, but 90megs wifi. Most of that is downloading apps, some of it is using the google maps while watching Military channel war stories. Most of my other 'smart use' is for those apps that are already installed such as my U.S. Constitution app, camera/video, handy flashlight for when things go bump in the night, handy currency converter - so I can keep up with the value of a buck, clock, alarm, music player (not mp3), handy grocery list, remote for my Roku, handy 'Urban' dictionary so I know what the cool people are saying, and of course address book.

None of this requires using a network data plan, only wifi to download the apps. Once installed the wifi isn't required either. But I do keep the phone busy. Sometimes I even talk to it.

And I've been pushing HDMI to my flat panel for a number of years. Go Spurs ! ! ! !
An update to using my smartphone as something other than a phone....

Just found the JUICE app. Yes, I now use my Android as a juicer....

Okay, Juice allows me to play my tunes which are on my phone to my Roku, by WiFi. The benefit is it allows me to use my home sound system to play those tunes. The Roku will keep an update of the tune playing on my TV screen, my amp will rattle the windows. Will also stream video or pics. The app includes a remote control for the Roku as well. There's a free Demo, full app is $2.99, 3 megs.

With the flip of the sound system remote, I can switch right back to regulation TV.

I almost can't imagine what the next century is going be like.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:09 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times
I was surprised how little data I was using. Before owning a 4G LTE smartphone, I had heard horror stories of people going well over their data budgets and costing them a fortune in overages. But I use my phone for all sorts of things like the Maps feature, email, streaming audio (not a lot of video), shopping, reading the news, etc. I have never once surpassed 600 megs on my 2GB data plan. I will never go without a smartphone again. However, I might consider one with a longer battery life. I hear the Droid RAZR Maxx is pretty impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones