Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:42 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
MacRumors seems to think iPhone will be coming to T-Mobile in September.
Yea, and rumours have been running around for a year that Verizon was getting one.

I wouldn't wait for a rumour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 11:45 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea, and rumours have been running around for a year that Verizon was getting one.

I wouldn't wait for a rumour.

MacRumors is a very reputable website. Almost everything they post is fact.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:40 PM

915 posts, read 1,190,557 times
Get an unlocked iPhone and pop in a tmobile sim card- best of both worlds!
The only drawback is slow data connection with edge vs 3G.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:25 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
Get an unlocked iPhone and pop in a tmobile sim card- best of both worlds!
The only drawback is slow data connection with edge vs 3G.
T-Mobile doesn't have 3G?

Old 07-24-2010, 06:07 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
You are aware of the antenna issue with the iPhone I'm assuming? Have you tried a case to see if it improves?

Old 07-24-2010, 01:33 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times
Default Questions (re DROID X) from a 78 yr old senior?????

Facts: I am 78 and live in a valley in western Montana..get 1 to 2 bars (out of 3) of signal strength at my location.; use a Verizon 325i cell phone (very happy with it's performance both here and on the road traveling);

use a Verizon USB 760 Broadband connection to Verizon (internet) for my Laptop;

and for a camera I use a Canon (PowerShot S2 IS 5 MP digital).............. and I AM NOT very knowledgeable in this area of Cell phones, smart phones and Lap Tops & cameras, but I know enough to "get by"!

Questions:
1/ I'm going to a 60th class reunion this fall (1600 miles away) and wonder should I get a smart phone (Droid X), so that I can just have with me the one item and not (3).... i.e.: 325i cell; canon camera & Lap Top??

2/ From my limited ability to understand some of the reviews I have read, it appears that the DROID X might be the answer. Please comment......

3/ Could I transfer some (say 25) of the pictures I have in my Canon camera to the storage in the Droid X?

4/ What extras would I have to buy to allow the Droid X to have maximum "storage" of pictures and E mails? (Note: I don't play (& don't intend to play) music on any of the items mentioned.

5/ What else would I have to buy to show pictures taken and stored in the Droid X on my Flat screen HD TV??

6/ Please explain about the SD storage cards and microSD Cards...whats the difference??

7/ What other "accessories" should I buy?

8/ The size of the Droid is not a concern to me.

Thanks very much for your suggestions and comments.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:40 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Facts: I am 78 and live in a valley in western Montana..get 1 to 2 bars (out of 3) of signal strength at my location.; use a Verizon 325i cell phone (very happy with it's performance both here and on the road traveling);

use a Verizon USB 760 Broadband connection to Verizon (internet) for my Laptop;

and for a camera I use a Canon (PowerShot S2 IS 5 MP digital).............. and I AM NOT very knowledgeable in this area of Cell phones, smart phones and Lap Tops & cameras, but I know enough to "get by"!

Questions:
1/ I'm going to a 60th class reunion this fall (1600 miles away) and wonder should I get a smart phone (Droid X), so that I can just have with me the one item and not (3).... i.e.: 325i cell; canon camera & Lap Top??
Congratulations on the 60th! I think you could easily substitute the Droid X for those items on a trip. I plan to get the X because it has an 8MP camera that takes good pictures, a fast web browser, email capabilities, gps, and a good phone.

Quote:
2/ From my limited ability to understand some of the reviews I have read, it appears that the DROID X might be the answer. Please comment......
Sounds like it will meet your needs unless you are going to be typing a LOT of text. You will have to purchase the $29.95 data plan for email and web browsing.

Quote:
3/ Could I transfer some (say 25) of the pictures I have in my Canon camera to the storage in the Droid X?
Depends on how big they are. You can buy an additional storage card or purchase one as large as 32gb, so yes it is possible.

Quote:
4/ What extras would I have to buy to allow the Droid X to have maximum "storage" of pictures and E mails? (Note: I don't play (& don't intend to play) music on any of the items mentioned.
The additional storage card. Verizon has it for $100.00. I haven't found it cheaper. Depending on the size of your pictures and those you plan to take on the trip, you might not need one that large.

Quote:
5/ What else would I have to buy to show pictures taken and stored in the Droid X on my Flat screen HD TV??
The HD cable.
Quote:
6/ Please explain about the SD storage cards and microSD Cards...whats the difference??
Mainly the size. the micro SD card I have came with a sleeve that looks like an SD card so that it fits in those ports, too.

Quote:
7/ What other "accessories" should I buy?
An HDMI cable for the tv to display your pictures and a case to protect the X.

Quote:
8/ The size of the Droid is not a concern to me.
I want it specifically for the large screen.

Quote:
Thanks very much for your suggestions and comments.
Have fun at the reunion!

Old 07-25-2010, 12:20 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times
Default Reply to photobuff 42.................

TO "photobuff42".............

Thank you very much for the answers to my questions on the Droid X.

I do have one more question:...... I'm not leaving until about Oct 10th......

Should I purchase it now (knowing it will come with "the 2.1 thingy"),.....or wait and take delivery about Oct 1st...........hoping that by then, it will have the "2.2" thingy?

Also, do you have any suggestions as to a good source to buy it on the internet?............I did buy a "refurbished HP Lap Top" from Tiger Direct last winter, and was very pleased with the price and service.

Thanks again for all your help.................Montana Griz

Old 07-25-2010, 12:40 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,131,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I currently have the IPHONE 4 but I went to pick up a DROID X yesterday and I have been comparing them to decide if I want to stick with the IPHONE 4 or switch. I love the IPHONE 4 but have a serious problem with AT&T's dropped calls. I have dropped calls every other call. I called AT&T today and they advised me to keep the 3G internet running and I will have fewer dropped call yet they have told me to try all kinds of things to avoid the dropped calls. I know it's not just in my area because I travel alot and still experience dropped calls. I am fed up. I like the Droid even though I am so addicted to Podcast and ITunes. I am still trying to figure the Droid X out but it takes time since I been allowing AT&T to ripp me off for so long. Would you drop the IPHONE 4 to switch over to Verizon for the better coverage?
May not be ATT, but an antenna problem, especially if you hold it with your left hand. Hopefully they get things squared away.

A problem is a problem, though.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:10 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
MacRumors seems to think iPhone will be coming to T-Mobile in September.
Nothing but rumors going around. Sounds like a bunch of ploys from sales of each company to try to get you to join.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones