Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 01:33 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,635 times

Advertisements

I just want to get your opinion on this: I am looking for a new cellphone service that is of decent-great quality and is not financially abusive on my wallet! I am a college student who will be making about $200 per 2 weeks during the school year, so emphasis on the cheap!

I am currently on my mom's Verizon family plan and just had to shell of $95 dollars in overage time and fees (went completely over the shared minutes) last month. This rarely ever happens. This is the first time I ever had to pay this much! This coming bill should cost way less; my mom pays around $110-120 dollars a month for the plan that includes, my mother and father, and myself.

My mom is strongly against the idea of me paying for my own cellphone bill (I tend to go through money faster than what she prefers). However, I think it would be better if I did get my on service provider; it would help ease my parents' financial situation a considerable amount regarding the phone bill! They can save $40 on me alone! Plus Verizon's plan is not very suitable to my cellular needs. I tend to text a lot and make calls during peak hours sometimes (but not too often). The "unlimited talk & text plans" would probably suit me just fine. Having Web service would also be helpful, just in case I ever need quick directions or get lost driving somewhere. I don't need a smart phone that has HTML-capable Internet or anything fancy, that costs more $$$. I have that now and the touch screen on the LG Chocolate Touch is becoming more of a burden than a blessing at this point. I just want something that won't be very painful to use with a decent screen size. I'm more than willing to give up some of the fancy features I've recently grown accustomed to!

These are the places where having service is extremely important to me:
New Brunswick, NJ
Atlantic County in NJ

I am doing my homework on various cell service providers to find out which one will be best for me.

Are their any cell services that you would suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 12:56 AM

519 posts, read 604,056 times
Boost Mobile...

Old 08-23-2010, 12:59 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
cricket is cheapest, but having your parents pay is free, so that would be the best deal.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:10 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Wal-mart's "Straight Talk" plan might be it. They have two prices right now - $30 a month gets you 1000 minutes and 1000 texts, and 30 megs of Internet. For $45 a month, you get unlimited everything. Most of their phones use the Verizon network, so the coverage is generally very good. Their Samsung R355C phone (looks a little like a Blackberry) gets excellent reception and has a full keyboard under the screen - I use it for Ebay work and it's a nice phone for what it is.

As an alternative, Virgin Mobile now has non-contract plans for as little as $25 a month (that one includes 300 minutes, plus unlimited texting/web), but for a few dollars more you can get more minutes. Their coverage area isn't as extensive as the Straight Talk phones because they use scaled-down Sprint coverage, but they have a map on their page so you can see if you're covered.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 08-23-2010 at 12:24 PM..

Old 08-23-2010, 12:13 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Get a tracphone if your wallet is thin. You can put as many minutes as you want. Want 5 dollars worth of minutes, buy 5 dollars worth of minutes.
Yeah its not unlimited but you dont need unlimited because when you see yo are running out of minutes you buy more instantly.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:09 PM

168 posts, read 365,240 times
unlimited talk+unlimited text+unlimited web= 79.99
1000 min +unlimited text+unlimited web=69.99
500 min +unlimited text+unlimited web=59.99
T Mobile
Unsupported Browser (http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/Cell-Phone-Plans.aspx?catgroup=Individual&WT.z_unav=mst_shop_ plans_individual - broken link)
all of these rates are with out contract, so u can cancel anytime
you need gsm phone (verizon and sprint phones wont work on their network)

or u can do like
no internet ,unlimited talk ,unlimited text = 59.99

Last edited by hertz; 08-25-2010 at 08:19 PM..

Old 08-27-2010, 08:27 AM

821 posts, read 2,038,382 times
Boost Mobil has 50.00 a month unlimited phone, text and internet

Metro PCS Has 60.00 a month unlimited phone, text and internet with a blackberry phone.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:19 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times
try page plus

uses verizons network

Prepaid Cell Phone Cards | Prepaid National Cell Phones

Old 08-29-2010, 04:05 PM

519 posts, read 604,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC JC Mom View Post
Boost Mobil has 50.00 a month unlimited phone, text and internet

Metro PCS Has 60.00 a month unlimited phone, text and internet with a blackberry phone.
You can also get a Blackberry with unlimited service from Boost for $60/month.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:53 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Wal-mart's "Straight Talk" plan might be it. They have two prices right now - $30 a month gets you 1000 minutes and 1000 texts, and 30 megs of Internet. For $45 a month, you get unlimited everything. Most of their phones use the Verizon network, so the coverage is generally very good. Their Samsung R355C phone (looks a little like a Blackberry) gets excellent reception and has a full keyboard under the screen - I use it for Ebay work and it's a nice phone for what it is.

As an alternative, Virgin Mobile now has non-contract plans for as little as $25 a month (that one includes 300 minutes, plus unlimited texting/web), but for a few dollars more you can get more minutes. Their coverage area isn't as extensive as the Straight Talk phones because they use scaled-down Sprint coverage, but they have a map on their page so you can see if you're covered.
I second StraightTalk. Excellent coverage on Verizon network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones