Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 01:11 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,104,853 times

Advertisements

So I made the switch about a year ago from Verizon to AT&T to get the iphone. Yes, the phone is cool but I can't take the spotty service anymore. I was stupid and realized within the first 30 days the service sucked and I did call and complain. AT&T told me they were improving towers in my area. I really like the phone and decided to stay. Big mistake. I even did the legwork to ask people in my area that had iphones if the service was horrible (I know others that live in other places that swear the service is great). I was told by the locals that the service was pretty decent. Well now that I am stuck with the contract now those locals are telling me ya the service is pretty terrible. Misery loves company?

Anyway, the iphone is cool but now that I have it, I am thinking a blackberry is better suited for my needs. I own an ipod so the music is not really an issue for me. Watching youtube videos is neat but I do not do it often. I am a mac user but don't really sync my iphone to my laptop. I do have mobileme but for some reason it updates my computers but leaves the iphone out of the equation at times so I do not find that very reliable either. I have apps but they are mostly news, my bank, diet and facebook etc. I believe I can get all these same apps through a blackberry. I like to check my email often and text. I hate the keyboard on the iphone. I also hate the iphone calendar.

I am a stay at home mom but run a tight ship. I was hoping to keep track of bills, doctor appointments, school events and practice times. I end up keeping a small calendar in my purse for this as the iphone calendar seems more hassle than its worth. I also do not find the talk quality all that great on the iphone. I guess my concerns are is that iphone is considered the best smartphone on the market and maybe I will be disappointed with a blackberry. I have never used a blackberry before and know the screen is much smaller. Has anyone jumped from an iphone to a blackberry? I will have to pay to cut myself loose from AT&T so I am concerned I might regret the phone switch. Advice? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 01:16 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,234,203 times
my main complaint with blackberry is it is too big too heavy to fit in a pocket and must be worn on the waist and constantly pops off if you are an active person.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:18 AM

16,496 posts, read 19,562,552 times
iPphone = good for people stuck with ATT, Apple fanatics, and people with large iTunes libraries.

Blackberry = good for the corporate world.

Droid = good for everyone else.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:57 AM

858 posts, read 2,988,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
So I made the switch about a year ago from Verizon to AT&T to get the iphone. Yes, the phone is cool but I can't take the spotty service anymore. I was stupid and realized within the first 30 days the service sucked and I did call and complain. AT&T told me they were improving towers in my area. I really like the phone and decided to stay. Big mistake. I even did the legwork to ask people in my area that had iphones if the service was horrible (I know others that live in other places that swear the service is great). I was told by the locals that the service was pretty decent. Well now that I am stuck with the contract now those locals are telling me ya the service is pretty terrible. Misery loves company?

Anyway, the iphone is cool but now that I have it, I am thinking a blackberry is better suited for my needs. I own an ipod so the music is not really an issue for me. Watching youtube videos is neat but I do not do it often. I am a mac user but don't really sync my iphone to my laptop. I do have mobileme but for some reason it updates my computers but leaves the iphone out of the equation at times so I do not find that very reliable either. I have apps but they are mostly news, my bank, diet and facebook etc. I believe I can get all these same apps through a blackberry. I like to check my email often and text. I hate the keyboard on the iphone. I also hate the iphone calendar.

I am a stay at home mom but run a tight ship. I was hoping to keep track of bills, doctor appointments, school events and practice times. I end up keeping a small calendar in my purse for this as the iphone calendar seems more hassle than its worth. I also do not find the talk quality all that great on the iphone. I guess my concerns are is that iphone is considered the best smartphone on the market and maybe I will be disappointed with a blackberry. I have never used a blackberry before and know the screen is much smaller. Has anyone jumped from an iphone to a blackberry? I will have to pay to cut myself loose from AT&T so I am concerned I might regret the phone switch. Advice? Thanks in advance.
If you are still dis-satisfied with the service, I waould call ATT and talk to a manager; Tell him you called within the 30 days, and was told "new towers, etc".

I was in a similar situation with ATT some years ago, and was let out of the contract as they knew my area had poor service.

marc

Old 08-15-2010, 06:07 AM

563 posts, read 927,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
iPphone = good for people stuck with ATT, Apple fanatics, and people with large iTunes libraries.

Blackberry = good for the corporate world.

Droid = good for everyone else.
This is true.

I carry a BB at work, but wouldn't pick it for a personal phone. Its best feature is keeping me in the corporate email loop. My suggestion would be a Droid. They even come with built in GPS!

Old 08-15-2010, 10:02 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,104,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
If you are still dis-satisfied with the service, I waould call ATT and talk to a manager; Tell him you called within the 30 days, and was told "new towers, etc".

I was in a similar situation with ATT some years ago, and was let out of the contract as they knew my area had poor service.

marc
thanks I did this several times. I have been told they do not guarantee service all the time. As long as I can use my phone at some point, then they have no obligation to let me out of the contract. Verizon actually does this as well. My mother purchased a cottage in a remote area and spends most of her time up there now, she has no service at her place. But there is a tower 20 miles away so that is their loop hole.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:25 AM

647 posts, read 1,419,798 times
Calm down people. Iphone is coming to Verizon in January and possibly all major carriers next year. They are currently working on a CDMA phone as we speak. This phone will be a 4g phone with other upgrades from the current iphone 4.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:16 PM

380 posts, read 959,889 times
You can watch youtube on blackberrys. Just download the youtube viewer for free. Cheers

Old 08-20-2010, 08:23 AM

16,496 posts, read 19,562,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
Calm down people. Iphone is coming to Verizon in January and possibly all major carriers next year. They are currently working on a CDMA phone as we speak. This phone will be a 4g phone with other upgrades from the current iphone 4.
How many times have we heard this now? For 3 years now....
Yes yes, Apple geeks have found Apple applying for new patents to build a CDMA phone BLABLABLABLA....

I will believe it when I see it.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:53 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,521,127 times
So if you own an iphone and are a fan of Apple products you're an Apple Geek? Wow, is this high school?

K fandroid.

Oh and OP. I pitched a fit and AT&T gave me a microcell for free. I have 5 bars all the time now at home. That was the only place I had a reception issue so it was a perfect solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones